The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

A

Young gay and bisexual men 'six times more likely to attempt suicide than older men', research finds

Started by Anonymous, May 04, 2016, 11:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

This is from Great Britain, but I would assume the results would be very similar for Canada.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/weekendreads/young-gay-and-bisexual-men-six-times-more-likely-to-attempt-suicide-than-older-men-research-finds/ar-BBsiQFR">http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/weekendre ... ar-BBsiQFR">http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/weekendreads/young-gay-and-bisexual-men-six-times-more-likely-to-attempt-suicide-than-older-men-research-finds/ar-BBsiQFR

Young gay and bisexual men are six times more likely to attempt suicide than older men, new research has suggested.

The study, conducted by the London School of Tropical Medicine and funded by LGBT charity Stonewall, is based on analysis of 5,799 men living in the UK and has revealed a stark generational divide in the experiences of gay and bisexual men.

It found that gay or bisexual men under the age of 26 are twice as likely to suffer from depression or anxiety and six times as likely to have attempted suicide or self-harm as men over the age of 45.

This was particularly pronounced among men from low income backgrounds or ethnic minority groups. Men with low levels of education were found to be twice as likely to experience a mental health problem as those with a degree education, thought to be in part due to wider social dynamics influencing educational attainment such as class, ethnicity and income rather than education attainment in itself.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

cc

It is sad. Not sure if the study allowed for the ratio of all males as a baseline to compare gays etc. vs the overall population .. young vs. older.

I believe the youth suicide rate is much higher in the overall population as well.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"It is sad. Not sure if the study allowed for the ratio of all males as a baseline .. young vs. older.

I believe the youth suicide rate is much higher in the overall population as well.

They have their whole lives ahead of them..

Incredibly sad.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"It is sad. Not sure if the study allowed for the ratio of all males as a baseline to compare gays etc. vs the overall population .. young vs. older.

I have known of a few suicides in my life and they were all young or youngish.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "cc la femme"It is sad. Not sure if the study allowed for the ratio of all males as a baseline to compare gays etc. vs the overall population .. young vs. older.

I have known of a few suicides in my life and they were all young or youngish.

There is a couple in my church who's son killed himself at age eighteen.

ac_crying

Anonymous

I wish I could forget the funerals I have been to for youth who ended their own lives

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I wish I could forget the funerals I have been to for youth who ended their own lives

You won't be able to forget iron horse jockey.