Total votes: : 3

Last post: June 29, 2024, 10:59:57 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

Every bar needs one.....

Started by kiebers, May 10, 2016, 02:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

Quote from: "kiebers" :oeudC:  :dash1:

Thank you for educating me about my criminal justice system. Canadians are lucky they get time off for good behavior. The way you are talking the US obviously makes criminals serve the full time given. No time off for good behavior. And your friend that served time in Texas...tough shit. He did the crime and did the time, or did he get time off for good behavior? Oh wait...you are implying that doesn't happen here...my bad.

Where is that sarcasm font when you need it????

Now you want to put police in all the bar parking lots....hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  

Who has the resources to pay for that. Trust me, there will not be enough revenue generated to pay for that. Not to mention the amount of people that will be in jail from that. Crowd that justice system up, eh J0E...overload an already overloaded system, eh J0E.  

Hey I know....put a breathalyzer in all the vehicles instead. Create jobs and make the streets safer.

And not everyone gets drunk at a bar, some get drunk and drive from company functions, home and other places as well.

Knock Knock

Hey Kahbuzz - I wasn't in any way defending the man's actions in the video.

Nor did I offer an opinion about the severity or lack of it in the man's sentence.

I was just pointing out the differences between Canada and the United States.

And clearly there are some.

So don't git so uppity and upset.

It's just that I've never heard of anyone in Canada getting 14 years in prison for a DUI even if it involved fatalities.

So it got my attention. And it was just an observation, not passing judgement.

Anyways, the idea of having breathylizer machines in bars isn't new.

I think they've had them for a while.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REYTXOZm8Q8

Actually, if every patron leaving a drinking establishment was required to blow, it may actually help  the owners by providing them with protection against lawsuits from patrons who blame them for getting them drunk. Similar to warning labels on cigarettes.

There was a case in Canada, where a patron sued a bar for intoxicating him and they were found liable:

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=21b0b41c-ddad-4439-8c22-93b2ee4bee62">http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=21b ... b2ee4bee62">http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=21b0b41c-ddad-4439-8c22-93b2ee4bee62

QuoteRICHMOND I The B.C. Court of Appeal has upheld a lower court ruling that in March last year found a Richmond bar owner 50-per-cent liable for a car accident involving a drunken patron.

No financial damages have been awarded in the case but at the time it was reported as the most severe apportionment of blame against a drinking establishment in Canadian history.

The Appeal Court decision came down Thursday following a two-day hearing in Vancouver before Madam Justice Anne Rowles, Madam Justice Catherine Anne Ryan, and Mr. Justice Kenneth Mackenzie.

The hearing was convened after counsel for the Steveston Hotel appealed the March 2005 B.C. Supreme Court ruling that split the liability of the accident evenly between the drunk driver and the bar.

The decision to quash that appeal now paves the way for plaintiffs in the case to seek damages, lawyer Jim McNeney said in an interview Friday.

McNeney represents four of the five men injured outside the Steveston Hotel in the early morning hours of June 12, 1999.

His most seriously injured client, Eric Tremblay, remains unable to live on his own and suffers from orthopedic and brain injuries resulting from the accident, McNeney said.

A hearing to determine damages is scheduled next year in B.C. Supreme Court, McNeney said. He declined to specify how much money he will be seeking on behalf of his clients.

In an interview last March, however, McNeney told The Sun that Tremblay's injuries were similar to those of Natalia Spehar, who was awarded $7.5 million in damages in 2003 after she was injured in a crash.

When told about Thursday's ruling, McNeney said Tremblay was "very, very happy."

Counsel for the Steveston Hotel could not be contacted for comment Friday.

The hotel owners still have the option of applying to the Supreme Court of Canada to hear an appeal of the case.

The crash that injured the five men took place about two blocks from the Steveston Hotel.

Tests would later show that Harry McWilliams, the 21-year-old driver who was involved in the crash, had a blood-alcohol count of more than twice the legal limit. McWilliams had been drinking in the hotel pub prior to getting into his vehicle. After driving away from the bar, McWilliams tried to pull around a pickup truck that was stopped on the road. In doing so, he drove into a crowd of people, mainly teenagers, hitting five of them.

McWilliams pleaded guilty to impaired driving causing bodily harm in August 2000 and received a 14-month conditional sentence.

....so if the bar had signs warning the patron, and allowing him/her the opportunity to know his or her fitness to drive, it could place 100% liability on the patron.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "kiebers"You know J0E, this one is just not worth the effort. SMH....

....oh well

Yeah, but that's why if given a choice to be sentenced in the US or Canada, most convicts would choose the latter. Canada is a slap on the wrist compared with the US. Y'know, I know someone who spent 5 years in a Texas prison where you live, K. I sure wouldn't wanna be him. The years in one of your state prisons had taken their toll on the poor guy. But that's what its like in America, which has the largest prison population in the world. And stiff sentences. I know that Texas is one of the most severe. Florida is pretty harsh too.

Anyways, the guy in that video would've gotten less time in Canada. Maybe 5 years or less with good behavior? Certainly not 14 years as he did in the video.

]
No police state for me. Muslims I am okay with, but not me.

JOE

I got into an argument with someone today about this very issue of liability.

He said that if he invited some friends over for drinks, he felt that it was his responsibility to make sure thathey get home safely. So he either let them stay over at his place, or he acts as the desgnated driver to take them home. He said that the law would find him negligent if allowed them to drink and drive. But I see it differently - that middle aged men ought to be grown up and experienced enough to know their limit. And if they don't they're irresponsible. There's a point in ones life when they have to be men as opposed to teenagers & take responsibility for their actions. We in Canada seem to live this nanny state where numerous individuals delegate blame to someone else when in fact their own fault.

Renee

Quote from: "JOE"I got into an argument with someone today about this very issue of liability.

He said that if he invited some friends over for drinks, he felt that it was his responsibility to make sure thathey get home safely. So he either let them stay over at his place, or he acts as the desgnated driver to take them home. He said that the law would find him negligent if allowed them to drink and drive. But I see it differently - that middle aged men ought to be grown up and experienced enough to know their limit. And if they don't they're irresponsible. There's a point in ones life when they have to be men as opposed to teenagers & take responsibility for their actions. We in Canada seem to live this nanny state where numerous individuals delegate blame to someone else when in fact their own fault.

Joe, just do some research on your country's "Social Host Laws" and STFU.

BTW, Where the are your drawings? God damn bullshitter. :nea:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "JOE"I got into an argument with someone today about this very issue of liability.

It is very difficult in Canada to get a successful case against a social host in Canada..

It is different for commercial hosts and employers.

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"

It is very difficult in Canada to get a successful case against a social host in Canada..

It is different for commercial hosts and employers.

It's not a matter of difficulty....Social Host Laws do exist and under certain circumstances a private citizens can end up in court and be persecuted in connection with a guest's DUI.

So JOE's "friend" :001_rolleyes: is right. If you have a drunken party guest, it is in your best legal interest not to let them drive until they are sober enough to do so.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

It's not a matter of difficulty....Social Host Laws do exist and under certain circumstances a privat citizens can end up in court and be persecuted in connection with a guest's DUI.

So JOE's "friend" :001_rolleyes: is right. If you have a drunken party guest, it is in your best legal interest not to let them drive until they are sober enough to do so.

I was curious about successful prosecutions, so I did a check and as of more than 10 years ago there was not one case of social hosts being held accountable in Canada..

Maybe there has been a case or two since then.

Anonymous

Even if it is rare for someone to be held socially responsible, I still act responsibly. If someone comes out to the farm and we get into the barrel wash, they are staying the night.

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Herman"Even if it is rare for someone to be held socially responsible, I still act responsibly. If someone comes out to the farm and we get into the barrel wash, they are staying the night.

Herman what if I want Grey Goose?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"
Quote from: "Herman"Even if it is rare for someone to be held socially responsible, I still act responsibly. If someone comes out to the farm and we get into the barrel wash, they are staying the night.

Fine vodka. :thumbup:

Anonymous

Than you are buying. That shit is expensive.

Twenty Dollars

Expensive is an understatement. My friend ordered a double grey goose and tonic at the 4 Seasons at Papagayo. It was $60. Imported booze here is taxed heavily. I believe it's $35. at Bevmore. $67. at the Auto mercado here. I can get it at the Nica Frontera at duty free for $37. I do like it, a tad pricy to drink every day. Who here likes Grey Goose?

kiebers

I do. Primarily drink it in bloody mary's. Blue Sapphire for gin. Macallan for Scotch.

However, Patron tequila is alcohol of choice.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"Expensive is an understatement. My friend ordered a double grey goose and tonic at the 4 Seasons at Papagayo. It was $60. Imported booze here is taxed heavily. I believe it's $35. at Bevmore. $67. at the Auto mercado here. I can get it at the Nica Frontera at duty free for $37. I do like it, a tad pricy to drink every day. Who here likes Grey Goose?

Drinking alcohol is so expensive.

:ohmy:

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Herman"

Than you are buying. That shit is expensive.

The Ticos I used to work with would buy a beer and a half pint of Guaro, after work. 0 to drunk city in 10 minutes. An inexpensive way to go.