News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 8456
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:49:33 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

Should the Olympics be postponed or moved?

Started by easter bunny, May 12, 2016, 12:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Canada's oilsands are the whipping boy of leftist enviro hypocrites, but they have no impact whatsoever on climate change. That is according to the IEA and and a study from a professor and now a Green Pary MLA from BC. Fort McMurray's air and water quality is better than most US cities too.  Certainly better than where I live.

Renee

Quote from: "seoulbro"Canada's oilsands are the whipping boy of leftist enviro hypocrites, but they have no impact whatsoever on climate change. That is according to the IEA and and a study from a professor and now a Green Pary MLA from BC. Fort McMurray's air and water quality is better than most US cities too.  Certainly better than where I live.

Are you filling in for Shen Li while she is on maternity leave?  :laugh3:

Anyone who believes that oil sands production or fracking or whatever industrial petroleum extraction is an  environmentally neutral process, is either kidding themselves or they are oil industry agenda pushers.

Look I'm no enviro-Nazi, I realize and accept that we need petroleum to make the world go around. If you want to believe that heavy industry in Canuckistan is contributing absolutely nothing to the environmental damage of this planet....don't let me stop you. Just kindly refrain from pissing down my back while telling me it's just rain water.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"Canada's oilsands are the whipping boy of leftist enviro hypocrites, but they have no impact whatsoever on climate change. That is according to the IEA and and a study from a professor and now a Green Pary MLA from BC. Fort McMurray's air and water quality is better than most US cities too.  Certainly better than where I live.

No impact on climate change?  Are you fucking kidding me?!

Here's some interesting tidbits on carbon concerns from the former CEO of Mobil:

QuoteThe CEO of Mobil Corporation warned in 1982 that burning Canadian oil sands fuels could lead to a buildup of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere with calamitous effects. His concerns provide further evidence that oil industry executives were aware of the climate impact of their products decades ago, and of the dangers of exploiting unconventional reserves with a higher carbon footprint.

Mobil's chief executive, Rawleigh Warner, Jr., took notice of the increasing production of tar sands, oil shales and liquefied coal in an article published by the United Nations Environment Program. He was writing 15 years after Suncor Energy began producing oil sands from the first large-scale mine in Alberta, and less than a decade after the Arab oil embargo propelled industry to search for alternative fuels.

"The switch to heavier fossil fuels has already caused much popular concern, primarily seen in some nations' fear of the effects of acid rain," he wrote, "and the general fear that excessive use of these fuels may so build up carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that the earth's temperature may increase, with some disastrous consequences.

"Both of these fears should be seriously addressed."

"As for the so-called 'greenhouse effect' of carbon dioxide buildup," he wrote, "I recognize that this too may become a serious issue for the future.

">http://insideclimatenews.org/sites/defa ... 0clean.pdf">

It's a bit difficult to write off the CEO of an actual oil company as an enviro leftard, eh?

If we are going to have productive conversations about pollution, it needs to be not exaggerated or under exaggerated.  To say it has "no impact" is a ridiculous statement.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

The extraction of oil in general has almost no affect on changing the world's climate. Even the most extreme warmist will usually accept the science that it is burning fuels that produces the lions share of emissions from oil and natural gas.

And it is just ridiculous to think extracting oil in Alberta or Saskatchewan has any impact on people or the environment in Ohio and New Jersey. Even Beijing's poor air quality is a localized problem and is not killing the planet. The earth is a lot heartier than some people think.

I have worked in countries that do not give a shit about their own towns let alone the planet. Canada is the opposite of those hellholes. But, even those countries are not wrecking the planet. Just their little corner of it.

Renee

Quote from: "Herman"

The extraction of oil in general has almost no affect on changing the world's climate. Even the most extreme warmist will usually accept the science that it is burning fuels that produces the lions share of emissions from oil and natural gas.

And it is just ridiculous to think extracting oil in Alberta or Saskatchewan has any impact on people or the environment in Ohio and New Jersey. Even Beijing's poor air quality is a localized problem and is not killing the planet. The earth is a lot heartier than some people think.

I have worked in countries that do not give a shit about their own towns let alone the planet. Canada is the opposite of those hellholes. But, even those countries are not wrecking the planet. Just their little corner of it.

Some of you people need to go back and read because the original premise of this off topic portion of the discussion is not about "climate change". It's about the general impact each country (in this case Canada) has on the planets environment. Contrary to current popular trains of thought, industry impacts the environment in more ways than just the bullshit theory of climate change.

A statement was made that we are ruining the planet and another statement was used in rebuttal stating the Canada isn't ruining or effecting anything.....how retarded.

Are people honestly going to claim that Canadian industries are 100% green????

Deforestation, contamination of water and human waste disposal are issues facing every single country on this rock. To claim that industry in Canada (including the oil industry) has zero impact on the environment is, to put it mildly,...... ludicrous.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"

Some of you people need to go back and read because the original premise of this off topic portion of the discussion is not about "climate change". It's about the general impact each country (in this case Canada) has on the planets environment. Contrary to current popular trains of thought, industry impacts the environment in more ways than just the bullshit theory of climate change.

A statement was made that we are ruining the planet and another statement was used in rebuttal stating the Canada isn't ruining or effecting anything.....how retarded.

Deforestation, contamination of water and human waste disposal are issues facing every single country on this rock. To claim that industry in Canada (including the oil industry) has zero impact on the environment is, to put it mildly,...... ludicrous.

Well said, except for the denial of climate change because that too is a ludicrous and retarded statement.

And Herman, what do those big machines that dig the oily sand out of the earth emit?  Sunshine and lollipops?  Do those giant diggers billow out rainbows? Does Alberta have a different atmosphere than the rest of the world? And why do we talk about it as if extraction is all that's done with it?  It's extracted and transported and refined and consumed.  Seriously, let's not stop the elevator on the first floor.

I assume you have been up to "The Patch" Herm.  How does it look up there?  Does it look like a gaping industrial wound in the earth?  If the winds are blowing right, can you smell what's cookin' up there?  Don't be shy.  You can tell the class :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

I am not claiming that factories, agriculture, resource extraction, transportation, pharmaceuticals and the petrochemical industry do not affect LOCAL environments. But, to say the tailings pond from the potash mine near my farm has is destroying the planet is bullshit. They do not even affect the health of us that live near it.

One of the reasons I chose to return to Canada after decades of working abroad is because Canada is one of the few places I have worked that gives a shit about minimizing any negative side effects of industry. We are not dropping like flies in our fifties from black lung and we are not causing anyone else to either. Desertification and the resulting sand storms in Northern China can be felt in Korea and Japan, but there is no comparison here.