The best topic

Replies: 8456
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:49:33 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

Eruptions

Started by Twenty Dollars, May 14, 2016, 04:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/seamajor1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-05/CD83A17A-35CD-461E-84E4-4130F8C47D87_zps26er4cd6.jpg.html">

As of yesterday. Still going off, ash falling in the valleys.

Any people evacuated?

Twenty Dollars

No evacuations that I know of yet. Ticos are used to it. There are 9 volcanoes in CR. Not sure all are active. Huge tourist attractions.

cc

Never been near an active one, but did see a lot of the fallout devastation of Pinatubo (Filippines)

Apparently several feet deep over a very large area. Roofs were caved in and it took ages to clear Angeles and Clarke Field Air Base

Today people still suffer. During heavy rains, more very heavy muck thins out and runs into rivers, blocks itself up and again thickens  ..  inundating towns downstream  .. never ending aftermath
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Never been near an active one, but did see a lot of the fallout devastation of Pinatubo (Filippines)

Apparently several feet deep over a very large area. Roofs were caved in and it took ages to clear Angeles and Clarke Field Air Base

Today people still suffer. During heavy rains, more very heavy muck is pushed into rivers inundating towns downstream  .. never ending aftermath

That was a long time ago was it not?

cc

Yes it was. 1991, We were there in mid 90s and lived on Clarke Base / Angeles in 96 to-98 ... one could still smell it on occasion .. and people downstream along rivers still suffer today following heavy rains

With the huge volume of ash  produced it will cause havoc for generations

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Yes it was. 1991, We were there in mid 90s and lived on Clarke Base / Angeles in 96 to-98 ... one could still smell it on occasion .. and people downstream along rivers still suffer today following heavy rains

It was even further in the past than what I thought. That was a really bad one though.

cc

Here's the sad story of Pinitubo

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs113-97/">http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs113-97/

On July 16, 1990, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake (comparable in size to the great 1906 San Francisco, California, earthquake) struck about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northeast of Mount Pinatubo on the island of Luzon in the Philippines, shaking and squeezing the Earth's crust beneath the volcano. At Mount Pinatubo, this major earthquake caused a landslide, some local earthquakes, and a short-lived increase in steam emissions from a preexisting geothermal area, but otherwise the volcano seemed to be continuing its 500-year-old slumber undisturbed. In March and April 1991, however, molten rock (magma) rising toward the surface from more than 20 miles (32 kilometers) beneath Pinatubo triggered small earthquakes and caused powerful steam explosions that blasted three craters on the north flank of the volcano. Thousands of small earthquakes occurred beneath Pinatubo through April, May, and early June, and many thousand tons of noxious sulfur dioxide gas were also emitted by the volcano.

From June 7 to 12, the first magma reached the surface of Mount Pinatubo. Because it had lost most of the gas contained in it on the way to the surface (like a bottle of soda pop gone flat), the magma oozed out to form a lava dome but did not cause an explosive eruption. However, on June 12 (Philippine Independence Day), millions of cubic yards of gas-charged magma reached the surface and exploded in the reawakening volcano's first spectacular eruption.

When even more highly gas charged magma reached Pinatubo's surface on June 15, the volcano exploded in a cataclysmic eruption that ejected more than 1 cubic mile (5 cubic kilometers) of material. The ash cloud from this climactic eruption rose 22 miles (35 kilometers) into the air. At lower altitudes, the ash was blown in all directions by the intense cyclonic winds of a coincidentally occurring typhoon, and winds at higher altitudes blew the ash southwestward. A blanket of volcanic ash (sand- and silt-size grains of volcanic minerals and glass) and larger pumice lapilli (frothy pebbles) blanketed the countryside. Fine ash fell as far away as the Indian Ocean, and satellites tracked the ash cloud several times around the globe.

Huge avalanches of searing hot ash, gas, and pumice fragments (pyroclastic flows) roared down the flanks of Mount Pinatubo, filling once-deep valleys with fresh volcanic deposits as much as 660 feet (200 meters) thick. The eruption removed so much magma and rock from below the volcano that the summit collapsed to form a large volcanic depression (caldera) 1.6 miles (2.5 kilometers) across.

Much weaker but still spectacular eruptions of ash occurred occassionally through early September 1991. From July to October 1992, a lava dome was built in the new caldera as fresh magma rose from deep beneath Pinatubo.

Continuing Hazards

Even after more than 5 years, hazardous effects from the June 15,1991, climactic eruption of Mount Pinatubo continue. The thick, valley-filling pyroclastic-flow deposits from the eruption insulated themselves and have kept much of their heat. These deposits still had temperatures as high as 900°F (500°C) in 1996 and may retain heat for decades. When water from streams or underground seepage comes in contact with these hot deposits, they explode and spread fine ash downwind. Since the climactic 1991 eruption, ash deposits have also been remobilized by monsoon and typhoon rains to form giant mudflows of volcanic materials (lahars).

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Here's the sad story of Pinitubo

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs113-97/">http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs113-97/

On July 16, 1990, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake (comparable in size to the great 1906 San Francisco, California, earthquake) struck about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northeast of Mount Pinatubo on the island of Luzon in the Philippines, shaking and squeezing the Earth's crust beneath the volcano. At Mount Pinatubo, this major earthquake caused a landslide, some local earthquakes, and a short-lived increase in steam emissions from a preexisting geothermal area, but otherwise the volcano seemed to be continuing its 500-year-old slumber undisturbed. In March and April 1991, however, molten rock (magma) rising toward the surface from more than 20 miles (32 kilometers) beneath Pinatubo triggered small earthquakes and caused powerful steam explosions that blasted three craters on the north flank of the volcano. Thousands of small earthquakes occurred beneath Pinatubo through April, May, and early June, and many thousand tons of noxious sulfur dioxide gas were also emitted by the volcano.

From June 7 to 12, the first magma reached the surface of Mount Pinatubo. Because it had lost most of the gas contained in it on the way to the surface (like a bottle of soda pop gone flat), the magma oozed out to form a lava dome but did not cause an explosive eruption. However, on June 12 (Philippine Independence Day), millions of cubic yards of gas-charged magma reached the surface and exploded in the reawakening volcano's first spectacular eruption.

When even more highly gas charged magma reached Pinatubo's surface on June 15, the volcano exploded in a cataclysmic eruption that ejected more than 1 cubic mile (5 cubic kilometers) of material. The ash cloud from this climactic eruption rose 22 miles (35 kilometers) into the air. At lower altitudes, the ash was blown in all directions by the intense cyclonic winds of a coincidentally occurring typhoon, and winds at higher altitudes blew the ash southwestward. A blanket of volcanic ash (sand- and silt-size grains of volcanic minerals and glass) and larger pumice lapilli (frothy pebbles) blanketed the countryside. Fine ash fell as far away as the Indian Ocean, and satellites tracked the ash cloud several times around the globe.

Huge avalanches of searing hot ash, gas, and pumice fragments (pyroclastic flows) roared down the flanks of Mount Pinatubo, filling once-deep valleys with fresh volcanic deposits as much as 660 feet (200 meters) thick. The eruption removed so much magma and rock from below the volcano that the summit collapsed to form a large volcanic depression (caldera) 1.6 miles (2.5 kilometers) across.

Much weaker but still spectacular eruptions of ash occurred occassionally through early September 1991. From July to October 1992, a lava dome was built in the new caldera as fresh magma rose from deep beneath Pinatubo.

Continuing Hazards

Even after more than 5 years, hazardous effects from the June 15,1991, climactic eruption of Mount Pinatubo continue. The thick, valley-filling pyroclastic-flow deposits from the eruption insulated themselves and have kept much of their heat. These deposits still had temperatures as high as 900°F (500°C) in 1996 and may retain heat for decades. When water from streams or underground seepage comes in contact with these hot deposits, they explode and spread fine ash downwind. Since the climactic 1991 eruption, ash deposits have also been remobilized by monsoon and typhoon rains to form giant mudflows of volcanic materials (lahars).

I did a search right after you posted about Pinatubo.

cc

You can see the relationship of Pinitubo and Angeles / Clark Base. The overall effect was over a huge area and the destruction continues

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs113-97/resources/BWPinatubo.gif">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"No evacuations that I know of yet. Ticos are used to it. There are 9 volcanoes in CR. Not sure all are active. Huge tourist attractions.

Irazu was my favorite when I was there.  I only saw it and Poas, though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"No evacuations that I know of yet. Ticos are used to it. There are 9 volcanoes in CR. Not sure all are active. Huge tourist attractions.

Irazu was my favorite when I was there.  I only saw it and Poas, though.

I stuck to the coast when I was there.

cc

Have done most of Europe and Asia ... lived in Asia in fact .. but I confess I never made the Americas south of Mex .. and not very far into it

From all reports. CR is the best of them all .. maybe the only one

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Have done most of Europe and Asia ... lived in Asia in fact .. but I confess I never made the Americas south of Mex .. and not very far into it

It is the most developed and stable.

Twenty Dollars

Nicaragua is really a beautiful country as well. A trip to San Juan del Sur and Granada would we'll be worth it. Lots of history spanning a few century's .

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Have done most of Europe and Asia ... lived in Asia in fact .. but I confess I never made the Americas south of Mex .. and not very far into it

We will likely retire in Panama.