Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

very sad news; Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip has terminal brain cancer

Started by Anonymous, May 24, 2016, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

ac_crying

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/g ... -1.3596839">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839

Gord Downie, the lead singer and lyricist of the iconic Canadian rock band the Tragically Hip, announced this morning he has terminal brain cancer, but still plans to join his bandmates of more than 30 years for a summer tour.

The band posted the news of Downie's illness on its website this morning and their band manager will release more details at a press conference at Sunnybrook Hospital at 11 a.m.

Downie was diagnosed with the disease in December, the statement says.

"Since then, obviously, he's endured a lot of difficult times, and he has been fighting hard. In privacy along with his family, and through all of this, we've been standing by him."

Downie, 52, and Laura Leigh Usher have four children.

Despite the diagnosis, The Hip announced it will "dig deep" and hit the road together this summer. The details of that tour should be released later this week, according to the band.

"This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us," group members said in their statement. "What we in The Hip receive, each time we play together, is a connection; with each other; with music and it's magic; and during the shows, a special connection with all of you, our incredible fans."

'I love this country'

The Tragically Hip's frontman has long established himself as one of the country's greatest songwriters, his lyrics giving a voice to Canada's land, its history and, at times, its official winter sport.

"You write about what you know," he told CBC's Wendy Mesley in 2012. "And I love this country. I love my idea of this country.

"Where I go and the people I've met, underlying everything is that commitment to finding the common good."

His music has given him a chance to bear witness to that, travelling from St. John's to Attawapiskat First Nation to Vancouver since the Tragically Hip began playing the Kingston, Ont., bar scene in 1983.

Downie and The Hip — now also including Gord Sinclair, Johnny Fay, Rob Baker and Paul Langlois — swiftly ascended from playing cover songs for Queen's University students, following a gig at Toronto's Horseshoe Tavern three years later.

That led to a record deal with MCA and the release of the self-titled 1987 EP, says the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, to which the group was inducted in 2005.

Downie's evocative lyrics didn't break out into the mainstream, however, until Up to Here, the group's first full-length album, was released in August 1989.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"This floors me. What a shock.

I heard this on the radio this morning..

I had to fight back the tears.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"ac_crying

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/g ... -1.3596839">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839

Gord Downie, the lead singer and lyricist of the iconic Canadian rock band the Tragically Hip, announced this morning he has terminal brain cancer, but still plans to join his bandmates of more than 30 years for a summer tour.

The band posted the news of Downie's illness on its website this morning and their band manager will release more details at a press conference at Sunnybrook Hospital at 11 a.m.

Downie was diagnosed with the disease in December, the statement says.

"Since then, obviously, he's endured a lot of difficult times, and he has been fighting hard. In privacy along with his family, and through all of this, we've been standing by him."

Downie, 52, and Laura Leigh Usher have four children.

Despite the diagnosis, The Hip announced it will "dig deep" and hit the road together this summer. The details of that tour should be released later this week, according to the band.

"This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us," group members said in their statement. "What we in The Hip receive, each time we play together, is a connection; with each other; with music and it's magic; and during the shows, a special connection with all of you, our incredible fans."

'I love this country'

The Tragically Hip's frontman has long established himself as one of the country's greatest songwriters, his lyrics giving a voice to Canada's land, its history and, at times, its official winter sport.

"You write about what you know," he told CBC's Wendy Mesley in 2012. "And I love this country. I love my idea of this country.

"Where I go and the people I've met, underlying everything is that commitment to finding the common good."

His music has given him a chance to bear witness to that, travelling from St. John's to Attawapiskat First Nation to Vancouver since the Tragically Hip began playing the Kingston, Ont., bar scene in 1983.

Downie and The Hip — now also including Gord Sinclair, Johnny Fay, Rob Baker and Paul Langlois — swiftly ascended from playing cover songs for Queen's University students, following a gig at Toronto's Horseshoe Tavern three years later.

That led to a record deal with MCA and the release of the self-titled 1987 EP, says the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, to which the group was inducted in 2005.

Downie's evocative lyrics didn't break out into the mainstream, however, until Up to Here, the group's first full-length album, was released in August 1989.

I would love to see them in this final tour. And thid really is final.

Anonymous

I am surprised doctors are okaying him to do this..

Touring is physically demanding.

Anonymous

I have heard of the band, but I cannot think of a single song by them.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"I have heard of the band, but I cannot think of a single song by them.

ac_wot

Anonymous

This is the song I think of when I think of the Hip.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAZUsCONjIQ

Anonymous

I am so bummed out by this announcement. They are one of my favourite bands.

This is one of their best songs in my opinion.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB965aUPsmM

Anonymous

This song describes Gord Downie.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhpezwGtDEg

Anonymous

I am not a fan of their music, but what a surprise this news is. If it was Ozzy or Keith Richards I wouldn't really be surprised. But Gordon is only 52 and if he lived like they did I never heard about it.

Anonymous

This is the song that turned me into a Hipster.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgoqK8AR_Ok

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"This is the song I think of when I think of the Hip.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAZUsCONjIQ
K, I've heard this song.

Anonymous

Here are the tour dates.

Victoria, July 22. Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.

Vancouver, July 24. Rogers Arena​.

Edmonton, July 28. Rexall Place.

Calgary, Aug 1. Scotiabank Saddledome.

Winnipeg, Aug 5. MTS Centre.

London, Aug. 8. Budweiser Gardens.

Toronto,  Aug 10 and Aug. 12. Air Canada Centre.

Hamilton , Aug. 16. FirstOntario Centre.

Ottawa, Aug. 18. Canadian Tire Centre.

Kingston, Aug. 20. Rogers K-Rock Centre​.

Anonymous

Gord is Canada

Part of the enduring appeal of the Tragically Hip is their Canadiana: Downie sang about Canada's iconic people and places and in the process became iconic himself.

But it's not just that he writes about Canada. It's how Downie writes about it, and how the band performs it. Their popularity is due in large part to history, intensity and ambiguity.

History

My first exposure to the Tragically Hip came At the Hundredth Meridian, where the Great Plains begin.

That song from 1992's Fully Completely came crackling over the blue earbuds of a friend's Walkman as I sat in my school hallway in Grade 11.

It was a whole new world for me. I soon owned all of the Hip's catalogue to that point, and for the first time was listening to modern popular music instead of Billy Joel's The Stranger album. (What?)

Many of my classmates listened to the band because "they rock," while I and my friend Neil (of the blue Walkman) were fascinated by lyrics referring to places like "the Paris of the Prairies." In the days before Wikipedia, I wondered who this Hugh MacLennan was that Gord had dedicated Courage to.

In the book Have Not Been the Same: The CanRock Renaissance 1985-1995, authors Michael Barclay, Ian A.D. Jack and Jason Schneider write that in the early '90s "the Tragically Hip's music has tapped into a well of youthful Canadian energy. It has become an entity that embodies the long-held virtues of rock and roll, but more importantly, the indelible qualities that each person in attendance feels identifies them as Canadian."

The authors note that the songs were neither political statements nor confessional ballads.

"The Canadiana references therefore became guideposts into a song's depths, and the resulting marriage of language and music produced an invigorating experience that had never been so directly aimed at young Canadians before."

Intensity

The Tragically Hip were chart-toppers then and have 13 full-length studio albums to their credit now, but they were performing on stage for six years before their first LP. Sales of their first release, a seven-track eponymous album, were dwarfed by the number of tickets they were selling at venues.

Gord Downie's 'incurable' brain cancer won't keep him from singing

The band is a different beast live, with Downie often delivering wide-eyed, improvised rants.

The song Poets, a relatively straight-ahead single from their 1998 album Phantom Power, has over the years grown an extended intro, a long coda with Downie screaming about a shark attack, and a Monty Python reference ("Bring out your dead!").

"I surrender," he told his friend, novelist Joseph Boyden, about how he performs in a 2009 interview published in Maclean's magazine. "I throw myself on the altar of song and I see my own personal musical life in fast flashes of faces and names and colours and sounds and I get lost in the euphoria of standing up there like Howlin' Wolf or Otis Redding or David Bowie with a mike in my hand and an audience that's ready."

Mystery and ambiguity

When the Tragically Hip were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 2005, Downie replaced the typical acceptance speech with a poem.

The five-minute verse started by berating those who say, "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans," a criticism (and Sloan lyric) that detractors of the Hip throw their way, imagining Canuck dude-bros who drink Molson Canadian, urinate in concert fields and wave a flag in your face.

"You can't hate huge, hate sprawling, hate the wild," Downie's poem scolded.

The message was "There is no one Tragically Hip fan," a fact easy enough to see in a present-day Toronto show, where it's a mix of young and old, men and women, ballcap wearers and downtown condo dwellers (sometimes those last two overlap).

The band offers up enough contradictions to give many different people something to latch onto: an alternative band on mainstream radio; a shy lyricist who dances on stage like no one is watching; Canadian lyrics that are never nationalistic.

A recent Canadian Press write-up about the band referred in passing to their "cerebral smashes," which is a combo you don't often hear.

And Downie's lyrics are often ink blots, leaving the listener to decide how they relate.

Asked by author Bob Mersereau in the book Top 100 Canadian Singles about how many of his lyrics seem to be about stolen moments, Downie replied, in part, "And the memories of the stolen moments can seem stolen themselves, but, yeah, not the moon but the moon glinting off the gas pump at a truck stop in North Carolina. Not homesick but a thick-rimmed coffee mug and saucer.

"Not the tree, the tree fort. Not the betrayal, the apology. Not by a mile, but by a century."

Print
User actions