Replies: 10413
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:03:25 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Dallas Police Chief: Good guy with a gun a myth

Started by Romero, July 12, 2016, 03:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romero

QuoteAt a press conference on Monday, Dallas Police Chief David Brown shot down one of the NRA's most cherished myths that claims that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

According to Media Matters, Brown was taking questions when he was asked about open carry at the event where five police officers lost their lives last Thursday night.

"We know that there was at least one gentleman who was a subject — person of interest, during the demonstration he had an AR-15 around his — around his shoulder," he was asked. "What does this tell you about people using the new Texas law of open carry at a demonstration like this?"

It's increasingly challenging when people have AR-15s slung over and shootings occur in a crowd and they begin running, and we don't know — or we don't know if they're the shooter or not, or they begin, it's been the presumption that a good guy with a gun is the best way to resolve some of these things," he continued. "Well, we don't know who the good guy is versus who the bad guy is if everybody starts shooting, and we've expressed that concern as well."

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/watch-the-dallas-police-chief-obliterate-the-myth-of-a-good-guy-with-a-gun-stopping-a-bad-guy-with-a-gun/">//http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/watch-the-dallas-police-chief-obliterate-the-myth-of-a-good-guy-with-a-gun-stopping-a-bad-guy-with-a-gun/

Texas is gun and open carry country. They just proved that not only is armed open carry useless, it only adds to confusion. How can we tell who are the good guys and who are the bad guys?

Anonymous

Romero

Quote from: "Herman"
QuoteAccording to Media Matters

ac_lmfao

You don't believe it happened??? There's video of the press conference.

Anonymous

QuoteAccording to Media Matters

ac_lmfao

I know eh Herm. What a stereotypical pathetic white fairy. :negative:

kiebers

The United States is a gun country. Texas happens to have open carry. I think open carry is wrong.  You always have the idiots that want to "excerise" there right to open carry long guns. It's stupid. Common sense has left the building with these guys. Open carry of hand guns is the same thing. Concealed carry with permit is the only way to go. I keep waiting to hear reports of guns being stolen because these idiots display them for everyone to see. I definitely believe in the 2nd amendment. I have managed to use common sense for well over 50 years. I don't need to brag or display weapons to prove how much of a man I am. If that were the case I would have them under spotlight in my living room for all to see.

The only caveat is if you are on private property such as a farm or ranch, you should be able to strap on a pistol and if necessary open carry a long gun.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Angry White Male

I have studied this subject extensively, and I agree with Kiebers.

Open carry is just inviting problems, and rarely solves them.

Not that I can carry a pistol in Canada (I could legally and theoretically open-carry a long gun, but I would be hassled 24/7 until I die of old age, so it's not something that most sane people even attempt to do), but the solution is CC (concealed carry).

Often times, only wanna-be cowboys like to hang their holsters on their belts, thinking of some Wild-West movie or time...  It ain't 1880 anymore, where cowboy out West needs to quickly sling out his six-shooter .44.  Those days are done, especially in public.

CC is the best way to go, as this doesn't generally cause a problem, and has no impact on the general public in general.  If some Negroes decide to show you some "street justice" for no reason, you now have the opportunity to show them some also, with a concealed firearm.

RW

Bullshit.

Citizens don't need to be carrying guns around all day.

Kiebers, I keep reading the 2nd Amendment and I get really confused.  It says "a well regulated militia" can have guns.  How does that translate to everyone carrying guns around with them?
Beware of Gaslighters!

kiebers

Quote from: "RW"
Kiebers, I keep reading the 2nd Amendment and I get really confused.  It says "a well regulated militia" can have guns.  How does that translate to everyone carrying guns around with them?

I'm sure it does. This explains it better than I can.
QuoteTo determine the meaning of the Constitution, one must start with the words of the Constitution itself. If the meaning is plain, that meaning controls. To ascertain the meaning of the term "well regulated" as it was used in the Second Amendment, it is necessary to begin with the purpose of the Second Amendment itself. The overriding purpose of the Framers in guaranteeing the right of the people to keep and bear arms was as a check on the standing army, which the Constitution gave the Congress the power to "raise and support."

As Noah Webster put it in a pamphlet urging ratification of the Constitution, "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe." George Mason remarked to his Virginia delegates regarding the colonies' recent experience with Britain, in which the Monarch's goal had been "to disarm the people; that [that] . . . was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." A widely reprinted article by Tench Coxe, an ally and correspondent of James Madison, described the Second Amendment's overriding goal as a check upon the national government's standing army: As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm">http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

JOE

Quote from: "RW"Bullshit.

Citizens don't need to be carrying guns around all day.

...totally agree.

But we should be able to have them within the confines of our homes to prevent intruders from killing us.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"The United States is a gun country. Texas happens to have open carry. I think open carry is wrong.  You always have the idiots that want to "excerise" there right to open carry long guns. It's stupid. Common sense has left the building with these guys. Open carry of hand guns is the same thing. Concealed carry with permit is the only way to go. I keep waiting to hear reports of guns being stolen because these idiots display them for everyone to see. I definitely believe in the 2nd amendment. I have managed to use common sense for well over 50 years. I don't need to brag or display weapons to prove how much of a man I am. If that were the case I would have them under spotlight in my living room for all to see.

The only caveat is if you are on private property such as a farm or ranch, you should be able to strap on a pistol and if necessary open carry a long gun.

I have never seen more private citizens carrying guns as in the Israeli settlements.

RW

Quote from: "kiebers"The United States is a gun country. Texas happens to have open carry. I think open carry is wrong.  You always have the idiots that want to "excerise" there right to open carry long guns. It's stupid. Common sense has left the building with these guys. Open carry of hand guns is the same thing. Concealed carry with permit is the only way to go. I keep waiting to hear reports of guns being stolen because these idiots display them for everyone to see. I definitely believe in the 2nd amendment. I have managed to use common sense for well over 50 years. I don't need to brag or display weapons to prove how much of a man I am. If that were the case I would have them under spotlight in my living room for all to see.

I have never seen more private citizens carrying guns as in the Israeli settlements.

Isn't it true that every Isreali has to take two years of military training?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "kiebers"

I'm sure it does. This explains it better than I can.
QuoteTo determine the meaning of the Constitution, one must start with the words of the Constitution itself. If the meaning is plain, that meaning controls. To ascertain the meaning of the term "well regulated" as it was used in the Second Amendment, it is necessary to begin with the purpose of the Second Amendment itself. The overriding purpose of the Framers in guaranteeing the right of the people to keep and bear arms was as a check on the standing army, which the Constitution gave the Congress the power to "raise and support."

As Noah Webster put it in a pamphlet urging ratification of the Constitution, "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe." George Mason remarked to his Virginia delegates regarding the colonies' recent experience with Britain, in which the Monarch's goal had been "to disarm the people; that [that] . . . was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." A widely reprinted article by Tench Coxe, an ally and correspondent of James Madison, described the Second Amendment's overriding goal as a check upon the national government's standing army: As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm">http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm

Okay, I get the whole "we need guns to keep the government in line" part.  How does that translate to taking a gun to the grocery store or while going for a car ride?

I read James Madison's essay on the 2nd Amendment and what you guys have going on down there is not even close to his intentions for armament.  

In looking into it, the problem is the NRA.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I thought it was three years for men and two for women?

kiebers

In looking into it, the problem is the NRA.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLTMkg1RLW0

Anonymous

And?