Replies: 10360
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:55:08 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Honored be thy name

Started by shin, July 22, 2016, 09:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

Somewhere during our formative years the concept of honor comes into play and we're taught to accept this variable merit system to regard most of our acquaintances throughout life, constantly re-evaluating where one would stand amongst them, should we ever be made to stand in a line of good to better... but in the end is it worth it?

On a scale of 1 to 10 highest, what value does honor hold in your personal life? Would you say you are more honorable than most of your friends?

Do you think the praise that comes with being held in high regard among a network of people is more important than having a lofty level of self esteem? If you don't think they feed off of each other, what do you think are some important values to be proud of not directly related to the general concept of inherited honor?

:howdy:

Anonymous

Heaven knows, I have not lived the most perfect life. Criminal record, drug and alcohol habits, numerous infidelities during my first marriage and a too quick to settle disputes with my fists(which is mostly why I have a criminal record).

But I do have a code of honor. And I would give it a ten out of ten. I would hope all my friends and my family say that I am honorable. Just as I will not allow anyone into my circle that does not have that quality. If someone's honor is questioned they are quickly outside the circle. I would expect all my friends to ostracize me too if they had legitimate concerns about my honor.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Somewhere during our formative years the concept of honor comes into play and we're taught to accept this variable merit system to regard most of our acquaintances throughout life, constantly re-evaluating where one would stand amongst them, should we ever be made to stand in a line of good to better... but in the end is it worth it?

On a scale of 1 to 10 highest, what value does honor hold in your personal life? Would you say you are more honorable than most of your friends?

Do you think the praise that comes with being held in high regard among a network of people is more important than having a lofty level of self esteem? If you don't think they feed off of each other, what do you think are some important values to be proud of not directly related to the general concept of inherited honor?

I give honour a 9.8.

I try to be the model of honour I want others to follow. But, I am human and so are my friends. As part of the honour code we forgive each other if we slip and encourage each other to not lose heart.

Anonymous

There are some pretty universal standards of what honor is, but there are individual differences. For example, not turning in your friends if they do something illegal(depending on the infraction) is honorable . For others, turning them in is honorable.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"There are some pretty universal standards of what honor is, but there are individual differences. For example, not turning in your friends if they do something illegal(depending on the infraction) is honorable . For others, turning them in is honorable.

omerta :icon_wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Herman"There are some pretty universal standards of what honor is, but there are individual differences. For example, not turning in your friends if they do something illegal(depending on the infraction) is honorable . For others, turning them in is honorable.

omerta :icon_wink:

Sort of.

After living abroad for so many years, honor really is largely a cultural thing.

Twenty Dollars

Good post Herman^^^^

So true.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"Good post Herman^^^^

So true.

That's the thing, honor means different things to different groups. Though, I am sure shin was thinking a North American definition of the word.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Somewhere during our formative years the concept of honor comes into play and we're taught to accept this variable merit system to regard most of our acquaintances throughout life, constantly re-evaluating where one would stand amongst them, should we ever be made to stand in a line of good to better... but in the end is it worth it?

There is some truth to what the posters are saying about the relationship between honour and culture. Shin, what do you consider honourable?

shin

Quote from: "Fashionista"

There is some truth to what the posters are saying about the relationship between honour and culture. Shin, what do you consider honourable?

On the most base level, living by the golden rule (do unto others as you would have them do unto you). On an intermediate level, establish reputation among peers and acquaintances through tests of morality and reciprocating small favors in a timely manner. On the higher levels, being an outstanding dependent when it comes to dire situations where someone would require assistance but may not feel to ask out of possible shame or out of reticence, for example. The possibilities become indefinite as uncertainty increases among confidants and commoners alike.

shin

Quote from: "Shen Li"Honour killings anyone?

Hey Shen Li

I've heard of honor killings, but I was unsure if this is something protected by law anywhere. What are some examples of justifiable reasons to kill for honor?

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"

Hey Shen Li

I've heard of honor killings, but I was unsure if this is something protected by law anywhere. What are some examples of justifiable reasons to kill for honor?

The Napoleonic Code Article 324 which was passed in 1810 permitted the murders of an unfaithful wife and her lover at the hand of her husband. It was abolished only in 1975. It's ironic, but France's 1810 penal code Article 324 passed by Napoleon was copied by Middle Eastern Arab countries.

France's Article 324 inspired laws in other Arab countries such as:

Algeria's 1991 Penal Code Article 279

Egypt's 1937 Penal Code no. 58 Article 237

Iraq's 1966 Penal Code Article 409

Jordan's 1960 Penal Code no. 16 Article 340

Kuwait's Penal Code Article 153

Lebanon's Penal Code Articles 193, 252, 253 and 562 These were amended in 1983, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1999 and were eventually repealed by the Lebanese Parliament on August 4, 2011

Libya's Penal Code Article 375

Morocco's 1963 amended Penal Code Article 418

Oman's Penal Code Article 252

Palestine, which had two codes

Jordan's 1960 Penal Code 1960 in the West Bank and British Mandate Criminal Code Article 18 in the Gaza Strip These were respectively repealed by Article 1 and Article 2 and both by Article 3 of the 2011 Law no. 71 which was signed on May 5, 2011 by President Mahmoud Abbas into the October 10, 2011 Official Gazette no. 91 applying in the Criminal Code of Palestine's Northern Governorates and Southern Governorates

Syria's 1953 amended 1949 Penal Code Article 548

Tunisia's 1991 Penal Code Article 207 (which was repealed)

United Arab Emirate's law no.3/1978 Article 334

Yemen's law no. 12/1994 Article 232

shin

Quote from: "Herman"

Hey Shen Li

The Napoleonic Code Article 324 which was passed in 1810 permitted the murders of an unfaithful wife and her lover at the hand of her husband. It was abolished only in 1975. It's ironic, but France's 1810 penal code Article 324 passed by Napoleon was copied by Middle Eastern Arab countries.

Lebanon's Penal Code Articles 193, 252, 253 and 562 These were amended in 1983, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1999 and were eventually repealed by the Lebanese Parliament on August 4, 2011

Jordan's 1960 Penal Code 1960 in the West Bank and British Mandate Criminal Code Article 18 in the Gaza Strip These were respectively repealed by Article 1 and Article 2 and both by Article 3 of the 2011 Law no. 71 which was signed on May 5, 2011 by President Mahmoud Abbas into the October 10, 2011 Official Gazette no. 91 applying in the Criminal Code of Palestine's Northern Governorates and Southern Governorates

Thanks, Herman.

i would have never guessed that Napoleon had something to do with it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

Hey Shen Li

Thanks, Herman.

i would have never guessed that Napoleon had something to do with it.

Who would have thought that Napoleon inspired sharia law?

ac_wot