Replies: 10385
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 10:06:23 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

A

Asian Recipes

Started by Anonymous, February 04, 2013, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Ms. Berry Sweet, my husband and I had Greek food tonight..

I wish I could have brought you and LO along to help us with the menu..

In the end we both had moussakka....sorry for the spelling..

What a delightful taste and similar to British sheppard's pie..

We wanted to try other entrees, but we didn't know what they were.

:(

Anonymous

Tonight was Asian style marinated flank steak..

It might be the last eat outside weekend until 2014.

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons hoisin sauce

2 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons rice vinegar

1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce

2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger

2 teaspoon dark sesame oil

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 lbs flank steak, trimmed

cooking spray

Directions:

1. Combine first 9 ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup hoisin mixture; spoon remaining mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag..

Add steak to bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.

2. Remove steak from bag; discard marinade.

3. Prepare grill, grill pan or broiler to medium-high heat.

4. Place steak on rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness..

Let stand 5 minutes..

Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices..

Serve with reserved 1/4 cup sauce.

Anonymous

Steamed tofu with fish

Ingredients:

•350 gram pkg House Premium or Organic Tofu, Soft

•1/454 lb salmon fillet

•1 large carrot cooked

•1 medium fresh bamboo shoot cooked

•5 dried shiitake mushrooms

•1/2 cup chicken stock

•1/2 tsp salt

•1 green onion julienned

•2 slices ginger root

•1 red chili pepper julienned

Soy sauce mixture (mix together in a bowl):

•1/4 tsp pepper

•1 Tbsp soy sauce

•1/4 tsp sugar

Preparation:

Directions:

1. Cut Tofu into 10 rectangles and cut salmon into same size pieces.

2. Cut carrot & bamboo shoot into the same sizes of Tofu pieces..

Cut mushrooms in half.

3. Arrange one piece Tofu on a plate..

Place one piece of salmon on Tofu..

Top with one slice of bamboo shoot, one piece of mushroom, and one slice of carrot..

Repeat this order to arrange all ingredients on the plate.

4. Pour the chicken stock (seasoned with 1/2 tsp salt) on Tofu and steam over high heat in steamer for 10 minutes.

5. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a wok, add green onion, ginger, red chili and soy sauce mixture..

Bring to a boil and immediately turn off heat.

6. Pour mixture over Tofu and serve hot.

Anonymous

Hot and sour soup

Ingredients:

6 dried Chinese black fungus

6 dried wood ear, black, cloud, straw, or shiitake mushrooms, or one bunch of fresh enoki mushrooms

5 dried lily buds

One can of bamboo shoots

2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon of white vinegar or rice vinegar

1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce

1 tablespoon of cornstarch

4 cups of chicken broth (use gluten-free broth for gluten-free version)

1/2 block of firm tofu, diced into small cubes

1 egg, beaten

1 teaspoon of sesame oil

3 scallions, diced

1/4 teaspoon of salt

1 1/2 teaspoons of finely ground white pepper

1/4 teaspoon of chili oil (optional)

Cilantro (optional)

Directions:

1 Pour boiling water over the mushrooms until the mushrooms are covered and allow them to soak for 20 minutes, turning the mushrooms over occasionally. It may not seem like a lot but they will grow quite a bit. After soaking remove any woody ends with a knife. Cut mushrooms into strips. Reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid and mix with the cornstarch. (If using fresh enoki mushrooms set aside as they do not need to soak).

2 Pour boiling water over the lily buds until covered and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Cut the buds crosswise then tear them up into a few bunches.

3 Mix the vinegars and soy sauce together and set aside. Open the can of bamboo shoots, drain well, and cut the shoots lengthwise into strips.

4 Place the chicken broth into a bot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the tofu, mushrooms, lily buds, bamboo shoots, vinegar mixture, and cornstarch mixture. Mix and bring back to a boil. Once it comes to a boil remove from heat. While stirring the soup slowly pour the egg into the broth in a small steam while stirring the soup allowing the egg to instantly cook and feather into the soup.

5 Add the scallions, white pepper, sesame oil, and chili oil if using. Taste and adjust white pepper, vinegar, and salt to taste. Add cilantro to garnish and for added flavor. Serve immediately.

Anonymous

Grilled Chinese chicken tonight.

Ingredients:

For the Marinade

1 tsp garlic puree

1 tsp ginger puree

1 tsp chinese 5 spice mix

½ cup light soy sauce

2 tbsp Mirin (sweet cooking wine)

2 tbsp honey

¼ tsp chilli powder

2 tsp red food colouring (optional)

2 tsp sesame oil

Instructions:

1.Simply mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.

2.Save approximately 1 cup for basting

3.Taste the marinade to see if it has too much salt or sugar (the mixture should taste savoury with a slight sweetness)

4.Marinade the chicken for a few hours or ideally over night

5.Preheat the oven to 220 Degrees C

6.Cook the chicken in a baking tray for the first 15-20 minutes turning over occasionally.

7.For the last 10 minutes of the cooking grill on a high heat and baste the chicken until a thick glaze forms on top.

8.Allow to rest for 5, serve & enjoy

Anonymous

Chinese spaghetti

Ingredients:

1 lb ground pork

1 lb thin spaghetti or 1 lb chinese noodles

4 scallions, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 tablespoon red pepper paste

1 teaspoon ground szechuan peppercorns (optional)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon sesame oil

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Combine the ground pork, 1/2 the green onion, 1/2 the garlic, soy sauce, and sesame oil..

2. Mix well and keep covered in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours..

3. While bringing the water for the pasta to a boil, heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat..

4. When the oil begins to smoke, add the remaining garlic and green onion, and stir fry rapidly for 1 minute..

5. Add the pork mixture, breaking the meat into small chunks as it cooks, until nicely browned (not burnt)..

6. Add the soy sauce 1 Tbsp at a time, tasting after each addition to make sure it's not too salty..

7. Add the remaining ingredients..

8. By now the water for the pasta should be boiling..

9. If it isn't reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally..

10. Cook the pasta, if you don't know how, read the package directions..

11. Drain the pasta, and toss it into the wok (or combine everything into a large bowl)..

12. Toss well to coat and to distribute the meat (it tends to fall to the bottom, you'll need a spoon to get it out with your servings)..

13. Goes great with scallion pancakes!

Anonymous

This is the recipe I use for chicken teriyaki with ginger rice.

Ingredients

1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 (1-inch) piece peeled, fresh ginger, divided use, 1/2 grated the other half thinly sliced

2 pounds skin-on boneless chicken thighs

1 tablespoon canola oil

2 cups conventional white rice

1 teaspoon salt

3 1/2 cups water

2 bunches scallions, ends removed

Directions:

In a large plastic resealable bag, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and grated ginger and mix until the sugar is dissolved. Put the chicken thighs into the bag with the marinade. Seal and refrigerate at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.

Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and set aside. Put the marinade in a pot over medium heat and reduce by half. Oil the grill grates with canola oil, arrange the chicken on the grill, skin-side down and cook for 8 minutes per side. Brush the chicken liberally with the reduced marinade before turning. (Reserve 1 piece of chicken for the Round 2 Recipe. Chicken Pot Stickers.)

In a medium pot combine the rice, sliced ginger, salt and 3 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Let cook until the rice has absorbed all the water and is fluffy, about 15 to 20 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, put the scallions on the grill, reserve 1 uncooked scallion for Round 2 Recipe "Chicken Pot Stickers". Cook until wilted, about 2 minutes per side. (Reserve 2 grilled scallions for Round 2 Recipe "Chicken Pot Stickers")

Transfer the rice to a serving platter, discarding the sliced ginger. Top with the cooked chicken, garnish with grilled scallions and serve.

Anonymous

Monday's are meatless so tonight it is noodles with tofu & green vegetables

Ingredients:

400g Chinese medium egg noodles

125ml vegetable stock

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp cornflour

1 tsp toasted sesame oil

1 tbsp vegetable oil

6 spring onions, chopped

6 garlic cloves, crushed

1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)

1 large courgette, halved lengthways then sliced crossways

400g firm tofu, cubed

40g watercress, tough stems removed

2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Directions:

1.Place the noodles in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water..

Return to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork to separate the noodles..

Drain, reserving 50ml of the liquid. Rinse the noodles under cold running water then put aside.

2.Meanwhile, whisk together the stock, soy sauce, cornflour and sesame oil in a small bowl until smooth.

3.Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat..

Reserve some of the dark green parts of the spring onions for garnish, then add the remaining spring onions, garlic, chilli if using, and courgettes to the frying pan..

Stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until softened.

4.Add the tofu, stock mixture and reserved noodle soaking liquid to the cooking pan..

Bring to the boil, stirring constantly for 1–2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.

5.Add the noodles and quickly toss together..

Remove pan from the heat, toss in the watercress, coriander and reserved spring onions and serve immediately.

Odinson

Your meals are delicious no doubt but they always seem a bit small.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Your meals are delicious no doubt but they always seem a bit small.

It seems to be enough for my family..

Tonight is turkey stirfry leftover from the dark meat that I froze after Thanksgiving.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Odinson"Your meals are delicious no doubt but they always seem a bit small.

Tonight is turkey stirfry leftover from the dark meat that I froze after Thanksgiving.

Good good.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

Good good.

My husband does not like turkey dark meat, but in a stirfry he loves it.

Obvious Li

anybody have a good meat loaf recipe using pork burger ????

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"anybody have a good meat loaf recipe using pork burger ????

I don't Mr. Obvious Li, but I will ask some of my girlfriends and co-workers.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Obvious Li"anybody have a good meat loaf recipe using pork burger ????

I don't Mr. Obvious Li, but I will ask some of my girlfriends and co-workers.

thx Fash....i'm thinking of inviting my muslim neighbors over for dinner and telling them it's canadian lamb burger.......they'll never know

i'll tell them afterwards...maybe???