Replies: 10548
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:15:04 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Asian Recipes

Started by Anonymous, February 04, 2013, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tatterdamelion"I have tried your recipe of Asian chili and it was delicious. Sometimes I have a breakfast for dinner with eggs. Do you have Asian breakfast recipes?

Any meal Tatterdamelion.

ac_smile

RW

Hey Fash - do you have a recipe for steamed pork dumplings?  Like Shanghai style?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Tatterdamelion

Maybe you can rename this discussion Asian dinner recipes and have a seperate Asian breakfast recipe discussion.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Hey Fash - do you have a recipe for steamed pork dumplings?  Like Shanghai style?

Do you mean xiao long bao RW..

@realAzhyaAryola

This evening on the way home, I was almost tempted to pick up a Kubideh Chenjeh but I decided to go home and make my own meal.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "RW"Hey Fash - do you have a recipe for steamed pork dumplings?  Like Shanghai style?

Do you mean xiao long bao RW..

Yes :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"This evening on the way home, I was almost tempted to pick up a Kubideh Chenjeh but I decided to go home and make my own meal.

Middle Eastern food is very delicious Azhya.

Anonymous

This is not exactly how I make xiao long bao RW, but you can tailor it to your own tastes.

Ingredients:

4 oz. pork skin, rinsed and finely diced

2 scallions, trimmed and chopped

1 (3") piece ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks

8 large napa cabbage leaves, trimmed and blanched

4 tbsp. Chinese black vinegar

5 oz. pork belly, cubed

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. Chinese soybean paste

1 tsp. dark soy sauce

1 tsp. Asian sesame oil

1 tsp. kosher salt

¼ tsp. freshly ground white pepper

½ cup flour

Instructions:

1. Place pork skin, half the scallions, one-third the ginger, and 1½ cups cold water in a 4-qt. pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and continue to simmer until most of the gelatin from the pork skin has leached out and broth has reduced to ½ cup, about 1 hour. Strain broth through a sieve into a shallow bowl, discarding solids, and refrigerate until firmly gelled, 1–1½ hours. Line bottoms of 2 medium (about 9" in diameter) bamboo steamer baskets with 3 of the cabbage leaves each and set aside. Divide remaining ginger between 2 small dipping bowls. Add 2 tbsp. of the vinegar to each bowl and set sauce aside.

2. Place pork belly and remaining scallions in a bowl; mix well. Pass pork mixture through a meat grinder fitted with the fine-hole disk into a medium bowl. Add sugar, bean paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt and pepper, and mix well. Finely dice pork jelly and stir into ground pork mixture. Cover and set filling aside in the freezer to set.

3. Put flour into a medium bowl, add 5 tbsp. warm water, and stir until a dough begins to form. Press dough together into a rough ball, transfer to a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth, 8–10 minutes. Shape dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to let rest for 30 minutes. Roll dough into a 6"-long rope on a lightly floured surface with your hands, cut into 16 equal pieces, roll into balls, and cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out.

4. To form the dumplings, lightly dust 1 of the dough balls with flour, then flatten into a disk. Roll out until disk is about 3" in diameter. Put 1 tbsp. of the filling on the thick center of dough. Pleat dough at ¼" intervals to encase filling. Hold dumpling in one hand, put tip of index finger of your other hand in center of pleated dough, then gently twist pleats shut, removing index finger as you twist, to completely encase filling. Repeat rolling, filling, pleating, and twisting with remaining dough to make 16 filled dumplings in all. Put 8 dumplings into each steamer basket, adding them as they are formed; cover dumplings with remaining cabbage leaves to keep them from drying out as you work.

5. Remove and discard cabbage leaves from tops of dumplings (not the leaves lining the baskets), stack baskets, and put lid on top basket. Steam dumplings over a wok of boiling water over high heat until pork is cooked through and jelly has melted into soup, 8–10 minutes. Serve dumplings immediately, with dipping sauce on the side.

RW

What do you substitute?
Beware of Gaslighters!

keeper

That looks yummy. I have cut and pasted a few of her recipes on to excel then emailed to my phone.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"That looks yummy. I have cut and pasted a few of her recipes on to excel then emailed to my phone.

I would like to cook for all of you at least once.

ac_smile

keeper

Quote from: "Keeper"That looks yummy. I have cut and pasted a few of her recipes on to excel then emailed to my phone.

ac_smile

I dont know about the rest of these guys , but im the closest to you Fashy, well other then Shen, shes n Edm

That would be so fun

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"

ac_smile

I dont know about the rest of these guys , but im the closest to you Fashy, well other then Shen, shes n Edm

That would be so fun

I feel it would be fun.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"What do you substitute?

Carrot slivers, no soybean paste, rice vinegar, kale or spinach, minced garlic, orange or lemon..

It can be made to taste.

Anonymous

I made Chinese beef with turnips tonight.

Ingredients:

•2 lbs beef brisket, rinsed, pat dry and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

•1 tablespoon oil

•5 slices ginger

•1 cup shaoxing wine

•2 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce

•3 star anise

•6-8 cloves

•1 teaspoon sugar

•5 cups water

•1 large turnip, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

Directions:

Prep your beef. Heat cooking oil and ginger in a wok over high heat. Add the beef and lightly brown all sides. Then add the shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, anise, cloves, sugar and 3 cups of the water and save last 2 cups for later. Simmer over very low heat for about 75 – 90 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking or burning.

After that, the sauce should be almost dry. This is a good time to skim out any excess fat. Then add the turnips and the last 2 cups of water. Allow the stew to simmer for another 30 – 40 minutes, until the turnip is soft and tender. Serve hot over rice.