Replies: 10550
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 05, 2024, 09:26:27 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

A

Asian Recipes

Started by Anonymous, February 04, 2013, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

priscilla1961

Quote from: "Fashionista"A Filipino neighbour gave us fresh lumpia.

http://images3.yummy.ph/2017/02/03/fresh-lumpia.jpg">

Like fajita?
My Daughter Is Sweeter Than Fucking Sugar!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "priscilla1961"
Quote from: "Fashionista"A Filipino neighbour gave us fresh lumpia.

http://images3.yummy.ph/2017/02/03/fresh-lumpia.jpg">

Like fajita?

No, it's quite different..

The wrapper is made from egg and flour I believe..

It's filled with lettuce and shredded carrots, garlic, onions and bean sprouts..

It's served cold too..

My husband likes them with spicy mustard.

priscilla1961

Chinese-style braised beef one-pot

Ingredients

3-4 tbsp olive oil

6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

good thumb-size piece fresh root ginger, peeled and shredded

1 bunch spring onions

, sliced

1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced

1½ kg braising beef

, cut into large pieces (we used ox cheek)

2 tbsp plain flour, well seasoned

1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder

2 star anise

(optional)

2 tsp light muscovado sugar (or use whatever you've got)

3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry

3 tbsp dark soy sauce

, plus more to serve

500ml beef stock

steamed bok choi and steamed rice, to serve

Method

Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large, shallow casserole. Fry the garlic, ginger, onions and chilli for 3 mins until soft and fragrant. Tip onto a plate. Toss the beef in the flour, add 1 tbsp more oil to the pan, then brown the meat in batches, adding the final tbsp oil if you need to. It should take about 5 mins to brown each batch properly.

Add the five-spice and star anise (if using) to the pan, tip in the gingery mix, then fry for 1 min until the spices are fragrant. Add the sugar, then the beef and stir until combined. Keep the heat high, then splash in the wine or sherry, scraping up any meaty bits. Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2.

Pour in the soy and stock (it won't cover the meat completely), bring to a simmer, then tightly cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 1½-2 hrs, stirring the meat halfway through. The meat should be very soft, and any sinewy bits should have melted away. Season with more soy. This can now be chilled and frozen for up to 1 month.

Nestle the cooked bok choi into the pan, then bring to the table with the basmati rice straight away and tuck in.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/sites/default/files/styles/recipe/public/recipe_images/recipe-image-legacy-id--513504_11.jpg?itok=Gkofqc7N">

Blazor

Looks awesome, now Im gonna go to bed hungry thinking of this lol.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "priscilla1961"Chinese-style braised beef one-pot

Ingredients

3-4 tbsp olive oil

6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

good thumb-size piece fresh root ginger, peeled and shredded

1 bunch spring onions

, sliced

1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced

1½ kg braising beef

, cut into large pieces (we used ox cheek)

2 tbsp plain flour, well seasoned

1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder

2 star anise

(optional)

2 tsp light muscovado sugar (or use whatever you've got)

3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry

3 tbsp dark soy sauce

, plus more to serve

500ml beef stock

steamed bok choi and steamed rice, to serve

Method

Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large, shallow casserole. Fry the garlic, ginger, onions and chilli for 3 mins until soft and fragrant. Tip onto a plate. Toss the beef in the flour, add 1 tbsp more oil to the pan, then brown the meat in batches, adding the final tbsp oil if you need to. It should take about 5 mins to brown each batch properly.

Add the five-spice and star anise (if using) to the pan, tip in the gingery mix, then fry for 1 min until the spices are fragrant. Add the sugar, then the beef and stir until combined. Keep the heat high, then splash in the wine or sherry, scraping up any meaty bits. Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2.

Pour in the soy and stock (it won't cover the meat completely), bring to a simmer, then tightly cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 1½-2 hrs, stirring the meat halfway through. The meat should be very soft, and any sinewy bits should have melted away. Season with more soy. This can now be chilled and frozen for up to 1 month.

Nestle the cooked bok choi into the pan, then bring to the table with the basmati rice straight away and tuck in.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/sites/default/files/styles/recipe/public/recipe_images/recipe-image-legacy-id--513504_11.jpg?itok=Gkofqc7N">

I made a variation of this last week Priscilla.

priscilla1961

Slow-Cooker Chinese Barbecue Beef

Ingredients

1/4 cup hoisin sauce

1/4 cup honey

3 tablespoons ketchup

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon sambal oelek (or other Asian chili sauce)

1 2-pound boneless beef chuck roast, halved lengthwise

2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Cooked white rice, for serving (optional)

Sliced scallions, for topping

Directions

Whisk 1/2 cup water, the hoisin sauce, honey, ketchup, soy sauce and sambal oelek in a medium bowl. Season the beef all over with the Chinese five-spice powder, salt and pepper. Combine the carrots and turnip in a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker. Add the beef and top with the hoisin mixture; turn to coat. Cover and cook on low until the beef is very tender, 7 1/2 hours.

Remove the vegetables to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Shred the beef with two forks; stir in the sauce to coat. Serve the beef with the vegetables and rice; top with scallions.

http://food.fnr.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/food/fullset/2015/11/18/1/FNM_120115-Slow-Cooker-Chinese-Barbecue-Beef-Recipe_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.suffix/1497373002495.jpeg">

Anonymous

I'm making shrimp with broccoli in garlic sauce tonight.

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh broccoli florets  

1 tablespoon water  

2 tablespoons peanut oil  

4 large cloves garlic, minced  

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth  

1 tablespoon soy sauce  

1 tablespoon oyster sauce  

2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root  

1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined  

1/4 cup canned water chestnuts, drained  

2 tablespoons cornstarch

Directions:

1.Combine broccoli and water in a glass bowl; steam in microwave oven until slightly tender, 2 to 3 minutes.

2.Heat peanut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook garlic in hot oil until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; add chicken broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and ginger root to the garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the shrimp; cook and stir until the shrimp turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Toss steamed broccoli and water chestnuts with the shrimp mixture to coat with the sauce. Stir cornstarch into the mixture 1 tablespoon at a time until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/951269.jpg">

Blazor

Y'all killing me! I love shrimp lol. Looks good Fash!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"Y'all killing me! I love shrimp lol. Looks good Fash!

It was a nice treat..

We don't have seafood that often.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I'm making shrimp with broccoli in garlic sauce tonight.

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh broccoli florets  

1 tablespoon water  

2 tablespoons peanut oil  

4 large cloves garlic, minced  

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth  

1 tablespoon soy sauce  

1 tablespoon oyster sauce  

2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root  

1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined  

1/4 cup canned water chestnuts, drained  

2 tablespoons cornstarch

Directions:

1.Combine broccoli and water in a glass bowl; steam in microwave oven until slightly tender, 2 to 3 minutes.

2.Heat peanut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook garlic in hot oil until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; add chicken broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and ginger root to the garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the shrimp; cook and stir until the shrimp turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Toss steamed broccoli and water chestnuts with the shrimp mixture to coat with the sauce. Stir cornstarch into the mixture 1 tablespoon at a time until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/951269.jpg">

I've had this or something like it.

Anonymous

Today I'm making avocado chicken stir-fry.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chicken broth  

1/4 cup soy sauce  

1 tablespoon cornstarch  

1 clove garlic, minced  

1 tablespoon vegetable oil  

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces  

2 cups snow peas  

2 cups cremini mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced  

4 bunches green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces  

2 large ripe but firm avocados - peeled, pitted, and cut into large chunks

Directions:

1. In a bowl, stir together the chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and garlic until the cornstarch is smooth, and set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering, and cook and stir the chicken until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes. Remove from the wok and set aside. Place the snow peas into the hot wok, and cook and stir until bright green and still crisp, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and green onions, and toss with the snow peas in the hot oil until the mushrooms are tender and have given up their juice, about 5 minutes. Pour off excess juices, if any.

3. Return the chicken to the wok, and stir briefly over medium heat to combine with the cooked vegetables. Stir the reserved sauce ingredients to recombine, if needed, and add to the wok. Gently stir in the avocado, and let the mixture bubble until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir gently to coat everything in sauce, and serve.

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/920650.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"Today I'm making avocado chicken stir-fry.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chicken broth  

1/4 cup soy sauce  

1 tablespoon cornstarch  

1 clove garlic, minced  

1 tablespoon vegetable oil  

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces  

2 cups snow peas  

2 cups cremini mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced  

4 bunches green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces  

2 large ripe but firm avocados - peeled, pitted, and cut into large chunks

Directions:

1. In a bowl, stir together the chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and garlic until the cornstarch is smooth, and set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering, and cook and stir the chicken until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes. Remove from the wok and set aside. Place the snow peas into the hot wok, and cook and stir until bright green and still crisp, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and green onions, and toss with the snow peas in the hot oil until the mushrooms are tender and have given up their juice, about 5 minutes. Pour off excess juices, if any.

3. Return the chicken to the wok, and stir briefly over medium heat to combine with the cooked vegetables. Stir the reserved sauce ingredients to recombine, if needed, and add to the wok. Gently stir in the avocado, and let the mixture bubble until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir gently to coat everything in sauce, and serve.

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/920650.jpg">

That looks so good, I must try it. Thanks for the recipe Fash. ac_drinks

priscilla1961

Ma Po Tofu

Ingredients

4 ounces ground pork

2 tablespoons dry sherry

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/2 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed and mashed

1/2 tablespoon chili paste with garlic

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons soy sauce

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger

1 (14 ounce) package tofu, drained and cut into cubes

1 cup frozen green peas

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with equal parts water

Directions

1 In a small bowl, combine ground pork, sherry and 1 teaspoon cornstarch; set aside.

2 In a separate small bowl, combine black beans, chile paste, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger; set aside.

3  Heat a large skillet over medium heat. If pork is lean, add 1 tablespoon oil. Cook pork until evenly browned. Stir in black bean mixture, tofu, and peas. Pour in chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in dissolved cornstarch, and cook until thickened.

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/720x405/4529356.jpg">

Anonymous

Very nice Priscilla..

I don't make it at home because my family doesn't like it.

Blazor

Sounds good, I would try it  ac_smile

I have never had tofu though.