The best topic

Replies: 8373
Total votes: : 3

Last post: June 29, 2024, 10:59:57 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

Workers Flocking into British Columbia from Alberta

Started by JOE, August 05, 2016, 02:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

JOE

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Shen Li"Okie doks. I am happy for BC. It's one of the few bright spots in Canada. It's not exactly booming, but it is decent growth.

BC is best right now.

Actually, as a BC resident, I'm not so cocky.

For one, the jobs here are not nearly as high paying as those in Alberta during its oil boom.

Taxes are higher, cost of living is generally higher.

So, it's harder for companies to make a profit and the ordinary working Jane/Joe to make ends meet.

Plus, much of our economy is based on speculation and people moving here.

They come for the mild climate, or to launder their money from foreign destinations.

Much of the wealth created in Alberta was real. Not on debt or future generations and taxes paying for it.

In addition, the recent announcement by the BC government, to regulate the real estate industry and to tax new home purchases by foreign buyers, may put a huge damper on the economy.

I'm hearing from the man in the street, that many deals on the back burner are falling apart because of this new tax and regulations.

So...all that is rosy now may not last. Since much of BC's economy is based on people moving here, and construction of new homes, this is not a good sign, especially when a big chunk of the investment is coming from places like China.

So...we shall see...what effect the new taxes and regulations have on foreign investment and the BC economy as a whole.

A year from now is a better indicator as to where the economy is headed.

Also, there is a provincial election coming up, and the election of an NDP government could put the economy into a tailspin, with more foreigners bailing due to even higher taxes and new regulations.

Anonymous

There are good paying jobs in the resource industry in BC, but they are not on the lower mainland..

And one of BC's natural resources(natural gas) has been down for years.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Shen Li"Okie doks. I am happy for BC. It's one of the few bright spots in Canada. It's not exactly booming, but it is decent growth.

BC is best right now.

Actually, as a BC resident, I'm not so cocky.

For one, the jobs here are not nearly as high paying as those in Alberta during its oil boom.

Taxes are higher, cost of living is generally higher.

So, it's harder for companies to make a profit and the ordinary working Jane/Joe to make ends meet.

Plus, much of our economy is based on speculation and people moving here.

They come for the mild climate, or to launder their money from foreign destinations.

Much of the wealth created in Alberta was real. Not on debt or future generations and taxes paying for it.

In addition, the recent announcement by the BC government, to regulate the real estate industry and to tax new home purchases by foreign buyers, may put a huge damper on the economy.

I'm hearing from the man in the street, that many deals on the back burner are falling apart because of this new tax and regulations.

So...all that is rosy now may not last. Since much of BC's economy is based on people moving here, and construction of new homes, this is not a good sign, especially when a big chunk of the investment is coming from places like China.

So...we shall see...what effect the new taxes and regulations have on foreign investment and the BC economy as a whole.

A year from now is a better indicator as to where the economy is headed.

Also, there is a provincial election coming up, and the election of an NDP government could put the economy into a tailspin, with more foreigners bailing due to even higher taxes and new regulations.

All very good points Joe. I realize I should have clarified my post. Canada is under performing. BC looks good only by comparison,

Thiel

Now that we have finally thrown out the NDP and Alberta has an NDP government, hopefully Manitoba can reverse the brain drain to other provinces.
gay, conservative and proud

Lance Leftardashian

British Columbia simply must do all it can to help these refugees from Alberta.
I care, you pay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"British Columbia simply must do all it can to help these refugees from Alberta.

Economic refugees fleeing NDP government. ac_toofunny  Good one Lanny.

Anonymous

I saw on the news that many Albertans can't afford dental work since they lost their employer extended medical benefits.

Thiel

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"British Columbia simply must do all it can to help these refugees from Alberta.

The best thing British Columbians could do to help hurting Albertans is not repeat Alberta's mistake and elect an NDP government.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jimmy LaSalvia"Now that we have finally thrown out the NDP and Alberta has an NDP government, hopefully Manitoba can reverse the brain drain to other provinces.

You must be a Manitoban? I grew up in the city and now I live in one of the bedroom communities to the South.

Go Jets.

Thiel

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Jimmy LaSalvia"Now that we have finally thrown out the NDP and Alberta has an NDP government, hopefully Manitoba can reverse the brain drain to other provinces.

You must be a Manitoban? I grew up in the city and now I live in one of the bedroom communities to the South.

Go Jets.

Hi iron horse jockey.  :JC_howdy:

I do live in the Peg. Been here since college. I was born in Selkirk.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jimmy LaSalvia"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Go Jets.

Hi iron horse jockey.  :JC_howdy:

I do live in the Peg. Been here since college. I was born in Selkirk.

Amazing, I know someone quite well that hails from Selkirk.

Anonymous

My brother lives in a small town in the middle of Manitoba.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"My brother lives in a small town in the middle of Manitoba.

Which one?