Replies: 8341
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 09:15:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Do you remember your first time?

Started by shin, August 22, 2016, 09:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

By first time, I mean the first time you rebelled against your parents or guardian? What did you think I meant?  ac_biggrin

My Mother told me harshly to do something when I was an adolescent. I forget what I said back to my Mother, but it seemed like a bright idea at the time. I do remember she slapped me right across the face for it. I learned not to talk back that day.

My Mother was the more strict disciplinarian of the two parents. The only time my Father ever disciplined me was grounding for a week, and he let me go outside after 4 days in. When I was about 10, Mom told me I was allowed to play in the courtyard, but under no circumstances should I cross the street. One day some of the neighborhood kids convinced me that I should go bike riding with them. We went several miles down a busy street. When I got back, she was waiting for me with a belt in hand. She told me to take off my pants and she gave me the whipping of the century.

Other than those precious first time learning experiences with testing the waters, I was a well-behaved kid.

I forget if I asked you guys this, but how do you feel about disciplining a child below the age of 13? Do you think time outs are sufficient, do you opt for grounding, or is a spanking in order in some circumstances?

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"By first time, I mean the first time you rebelled against your parents or guardian? What did you think I meant?  ac_biggrin

My Mother told me harshly to do something when I was an adolescent. I forget what I said back to my Mother, but it seemed like a bright idea at the time. I do remember she slapped me right across the face for it. I learned not to talk back that day.

My Mother was the more strict disciplinarian of the two parents. The only time my Father ever disciplined me was grounding for a week, and he let me go outside after 4 days in. When I was about 10, Mom told me I was allowed to play in the courtyard, but under no circumstances should I cross the street. One day some of the neighborhood kids convinced me that I should go bike riding with them. We went several miles down a busy street. When I got back, she was waiting for me with a belt in hand. She told me to take off my pants and she gave me the whipping of the century.

Other than those precious first time learning experiences with testing the waters, I was a well-behaved kid.

I forget if I asked you guys this, but how do you feel about disciplining a child below the age of 13? Do you think time outs are sufficient, do you opt for grounding, or is a spanking in order in some circumstances?

I haven't rebelled yet shin.

shin

i sort of get the impression that Asian discipline is harsh and potent... Like "You get straight A's or you don't eat supper for a year!" Well, not quite that bad, but bad enough to scare kids into perfect behavior.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"i sort of get the impression that Asian discipline is harsh and potent... Like "You get straight A's or you don't eat supper for a year!" Well, not quite that bad, but bad enough to scare kids into perfect behavior.

There is a lot of truth to East Asian [parents' expectations.

Thiel

Quote from: "shin"By first time, I mean the first time you rebelled against your parents or guardian? What did you think I meant?  ac_biggrin

The biggest even that stands for me in my youth, was coming out to my parents. My dad had a hard time getting over that one, if he ever did. That was thirty years ago. No doubt it would be easier today.

As for actual rebellion, I did all the usual things. I stayed out too late on school nights, I came home drunk when I was fifteen, I took my mom's car after being forbidden to do so. Temporary removal of privileges was always the punishment. That included no spending money.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

I have a fifteen year old daughter..

I notice not so much direct rebellion, but she does not want to spend time with me anymore..

She wants to be with her friends all the time..

I was a bit like that at her age, but I didn't dare be as bold about it as my daughter is.

Anonymous

I hung around most other East Asians in high school. It wans't until I went to uni that I expanded my friend pool. I also had a very male dominated major.

The only time I directly defied my parents was over a guy I was dating. They felt it was getting too serious.....besides, he was white. :laugh3:

Twenty Dollars

I need to ask in a non judgmental way. What is the signifagence of being from East Asia? I ask because I don't know. Hermans wife, Fashionista, maybe others? Never been to that part of the world.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"I need to ask in a non judgmental way. What is the signifagence of being from East Asia? I ask because I don't know. Hermans wife, Fashionista, maybe others? Never been to that part of the world.

Is that anything like significance?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"I need to ask in a non judgmental way. What is the signifagence of being from East Asia? I ask because I don't know. Hermans wife, Fashionista, maybe others? Never been to that part of the world.

It is called cultural differences.

Anonymous

I was rebellious for as long as I can remember. At school, at home, with the police, I was in shit on a constant basis.

One thing that stands out for me, is my mom catching me with a girl in the barn when I was fifteen. She screamed. :roll:

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Herman"

How different?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"

How different?

We're exactly like white folks except completely different.

Anonymous

How different?

Academic expectations are often different..

How time is managed outside of school hours is frequently different too..

Interactions with friends are controlled too..

I had no concept of a sleep over when I was a young girl.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

How different?

Academic expectations are often different..

How time is managed outside of school hours is frequently different too..

Interactions with friends are controlled too..

I had no concept of a sleep over when I was a young girl.

TD still won't understand.