The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

China'BOXED

Started by Securious, October 07, 2012, 05:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Securious

[size=200]Chinese Less Than Frank Over The Issue Of Their Miners[/size]

http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+commitment+Chinese+mining+firms+hazy/7408248/story.html">http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+co ... story.html">http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+commitment+Chinese+mining+firms+hazy/7408248/story.html

Securious

[size=150]Chinese On-Line Fraud [/size]

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048386.htm">http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consume ... 048386.htm">http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048386.htm

Securious

Ah Yes ! The Cheap & Chearful Chinese Made Products

[size=150]Beware of cheap Chinese products

'Made in China' = 'Buyer Beware'
[/size]

Over the years, low-priced products from China started flooding in to the world market in every segment including consumer goods and electronics. We always wonder about how they can sell it so cheap. The answer is here. Chinese manufacturers can afford to price their products so competitively because of a number of factors as listed below.

•Primarily, the raw materials used are of the worst quality.

•They are not investing on research or innovation; they simply copy the products of established brands.

•They are not spending for customer support or after sales service.

•They are not spending money for advertising or marketing.

•Mass production

When we buy Chinese made product we are putting our health and our children's health in danger. Almost 90% of the chinese products which we find in the market are substandard. Since there are no strict quality checking methods in china, the manufacturers are able to adulterate products.The only way to keep ourselves safe is to avoid Chinese products.

Chinese food products remain under scrutiny after the melamine milk scandal in 2008.Official reports say there were 3,00,000 victims including six infants dying from kidney stones and close to 1000 babies hospitalized. Melamine appeared to have been added to milk in order to make it appear to have higher protein content. This incident damaged the reputation of China's food exports and as a result, at least 12 countries banned Chinese dairy products with India banning chinese chocolates too. The World Health Organization referred to the incident as one of the largest food safety events it had had to deal with in recent years. Prior to this, United States banned chinese pet food after discovering melamine content. Tinned foods and children's snacks were found to have added with six times the permitted levels of preservatives. Candied fruits were found with 63 times the permitted amount of sweeteners.

China's toy industry has come under close scrutiny since millions of goods were recalled globally amid fears they were made with toxic lead paints and had design flaws. Studies revealed that the highest content of lead was found in products like teethers for newborn and toddlers. As a result, countries including India banned chinese toys, which caused shutdown of over a thousand toy factories in china. Later India lifted the ban, but imposed strict demands for product safety guarantees. Tires manufactured in china lacks essential safety component which can cause the tyre to split apart at higher speeds. Some chinese toothpastes were found containing toxic chemicals. Even footwears, cosmetics, hairbuns etc. are made of cheap quality raw materials.

Can we afford to buy Chinese products which have been proven again and again to be poisonous? Can we trust a government who still allows us to buy these hazardous products?

We always speak loud against terrorism, this is much worse than terrorism. We don't want to poison ourselves after spending money from our pocket. Now 'Made in China' looks like 'Buyer Beware'.

Gary Oak

I just read the fascinating book  Poorly Made In China  by Paul Midler. Paul Midler has two  masters degrees. One in business and one in Asian studies. He was in areas of Cina that I am very familiar with. I learned alot about the manufacturing industry in China and now have a deeper understanding of why so many foreign manufacturers are pulling out of China now. It is telling that as he understands the manufacturing industry in China  very well he is afraid to go on a ferris wheel in China that has been built there.

Securious

help with the forensics."

He insisted the hackers were based in China, something the Chinese government has rejected.

Earlier this week, its embassy in Canada said "cyberattacks are transnational and anonymous. It is irresponsible to prejudge the origin of attacks without thorough investigation and hard evidence."

The embassy added that China's government "strictly prohibits" hacking and "stands ready to step up international co-operation in this field."

RIM a 'huge target'

"The Chinese government ought to go to that location and get those computers and work with the Canadian government to help solve what happened here," he said.

Shields has alleged that Chinese hackers had unfettered access to the former telecommunications giant as far back as 2000, downloaded business plans, research and development reports, employee emails and other documents.

He maintains that Canadian companies — including Waterloo, Ont.-based Research in Motion — continue to be targets.

P.O.V.

Should Ottawa help companies stop cyber attacks? Take our survey.

"Absolutely. Without a doubt. The questions you've got to ask is, is there something of value? Companies, for example, like RIM [are] a huge target. They ought to worry about this stuff. And anybody else that is in technology or oil exploration. This is economic espionage. It truly is."

Corporate espionage is a growing problem for North American companies, with the majority of attacks coming from China.

Last November, a group of U.S. analysts said there were as many as 12 different Chinese groups participating in cyberattacks on U.S. companies and government agencies.

During BHP Billiton's hostile takeover bid for Saskatchewan's PotashCorp, hackers traced to China targeted Bay Street law firms and other companies to get insider information on the $38-billion corporate takeover.

Those same hackers also targeted Canadian government computers in fall 2010, targeting the Finance Department, the Treasury Board, and Defence Research and Development Canada, a civilian agency of the Department of National Defence.

"It's very personal to me because I'm very sad-hearted about what happened to so many of my friends, to this once great Canadian company," Shields told As it Happens.

"I was very proud to work there for so many years. I used to say it was the best job in the world."

[late, but on time, Dave]

Securious

[size=200]Beligerant China Continues Naval War Warning[/size]

Terrorism & Security

China's naval exercises in East China Sea send warning to regional rivals

Chinese naval exercises today simulated a conflict in disputed waters. Tensions between China and Japan have been mounting over claims to a set of islands in the East China Sea.

By Ariel Zirulnick, Staff writer / October 19, 2012

Vessels roam the waters of East China Sea during a naval drill Friday. The Chinese navy conducted a joint exercise with the country's fishery administration and marine surveillance agency in the East China Sea.

China Daily/Reuters

A daily summary of global reports on security issues.

Ariel Zirulnick

Middle East Editor

Ariel Zirulnick is the Monitor's Middle East editor, overseeing regional coverage both for CSMonitor.com and the weekly magazine. She is also a contributor to the international desk's terrorism and security blog.

Recent posts

China's naval exercises in East China Sea send warning to regional rivals

Cease-fire in Syria? Support from Iran and Turkey boosts UN envoy's bid

UN envoy to Syria visits region to resurrect cease-fire efforts

Former Serb leader Karadzic: I deserve reward, not punishment

Turkey grounds Armenian plane in growing de facto air blockade of Syria

.Related stories

Arrests of US sailors in Okinawa reignites opposition to bases (+video)

China held naval exercises in the East China Sea today in a robust show of military force intended to warn regional rivals against escalating territorial disputes.

China regularly holds maritime drills in the fall, but "sources close to the military" said the drills were related to a territorial dispute that has been the source of recent flare-up between China and Japan, the Financial Times reports.

Japan and China have long been at odds over a string of islands known as the Senkaku in Japan and the Diaoyu in China, but tensions ratcheted up last month when the Japanese government agreed to buy three of the islands that were privately owned by a Japanese businessman. The incident brought relations between the countries to a 40-year low and prompted the cancellation of celebrations planned for last month to fete the 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations, as The Christian Science Monitor reported in an in-depth report on the dispute last month.

Think you know Asia? Take our geography quiz.

"Relations are worse than they have ever been in 40 years," Liu Jiangyong, a professor of Japanese politics at Tsinghua University in Beijing, told the Monitor. "I don't see much chance of a war; but I think Japan is preparing for one, and we should, too."

The Japanese government said that the intent was not to challenge China, but to prevent the islands' sale to the governor of Tokyo, a vocal nationalist who might have used them to antagonize China. The explanation did not quiet Chinese anger.

The exercises also come on the heels of visits earlier this week by Japanese opposition leader Shinzo Abe as well as two cabinet ministers to the controversial Yasukuni shrine. The shrine, which honors Japan's war dead – among them 14 class A war criminals convicted after World War II – is seen in China as a "symbol of Japan's military atrocities" during its decades-long occupation of much of the region until Japan's defeat in 1945, Bloomberg reports.

Think you know Japan? Take our quiz.

Chinese news agency Xinhua said the officials' visit "would further poison bilateral ties" and "added insult to injury," according to Bloomberg.

Drills like those held today are a routine event, but military sources told the Financial Times "this drill could only be read as directed at the island crisis."

"This exercise will simulate a situation where foreign law enforcement vessels obstruct and interfere with our maritime surveillance and fisheries administration vessels on a mission to safeguard maritime rights and enforce the law," said state media, referring to a statement from the East Sea Fleet which is participating in the drill.

According to the statement, the simulated scenario includes a collision in which the Chinese ships are damaged and some patrol staff are hurt and fall into the water. The East Sea Fleet then "sends a frigate, a hospital ship, a tugboat, advanced fighters and helicopters for support, cover and emergency rescue."

"With this content, this drill must be seen in the context of the Diaoyu Islands," said a source familiar with the military's intentions.

According to Xinhua, the Navy held the exercises with the fishery administration and marine surveillance agency in order to "improve coordination" and their ability to respond to emergencies. Eleven vessels and eight aircraft were involved in the effort.

The Associated Press reports that Japan plans to hold similar drills with the US later this year centered around a theoretical challenge of "taking a remote island back from a foreign intruder."

Multiple experts interviewed by the Monitor said that they don't think either country wants to go to war. The real cause for concern is that it would take little to tip the countries into open conflict with tensions at a slow boil for so long, and both taking steps to intimidate the other.

So far, hostilities have been limited to water-cannon duels, as happened Sept. 24 between Japanese and Taiwanese Coast Guard vessels. But "when you have that many boats sailing around, the potential for mishap is quite high," points out Bonnie Glaser, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

The danger, adds Valérie Niquet, a China analyst at the Foundation for Strategic Research, a think tank in Paris, is that a collision, a sinking, or a fatality "could start something that would be difficult to stop," especially since China and Japan have no procedures in place to handle maritime crises.

Securious

[size=150]Beligerant China Report, CTV[/size]

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/china-holds-military-exercise-amid-island-dispute-with-japan-1.1001958">http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/china-holds ... -1.1001958">http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/china-holds-military-exercise-amid-island-dispute-with-japan-1.1001958

Securious

Obvious may want to check in here> I have been reporting on China's belligerence at sea for some time now. Their economy is on the skids [by design I might add] and yes this is a cover up to some degree, well timed, but it also bolsters Nationalism and Chinese pride. At some point troops will be  engaged [not if-but when] and Canada should do the smart and correct thing declaring its position before its too late. That stalwart courageous Canadian friendship & bravery, much lauded over the decades needs to be presented again for our friends, Japan. Time to drop the swooning, the incessant rhetoric on heroism and parades and show we mean business; China needs to know where our allegiances are right now!

my two cents

Securious

http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+commitment+Chinese+mining+firms+hazy/7408248/story.html">http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+co ... story.html">http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+commitment+Chinese+mining+firms+hazy/7408248/story.html

Gary Oak

I was just talking to a Vietnamese woman. She told me that the reason why Chinese men are so ignorant when I a white guy speaks chinese is because they are afraid that  I am stealing THEIR women and that Chinese think that we are stupid. I already knew that. They sure want to live with us though. They believe that we are stupid for not understanding how evil they are. I heard a tong member refer to the head tax liek we are so evil but if you understand their oaths and rituals [ FAN QING FU MING ] then obviously our greatgrandparents weren't so stupid. They could see what the Chinese were up to. Many Canadians like Romero can't believe what's happening no matter how well it is explained to them. It is no wonde that the chinese think that we are stupid. They don't call the British stupid

Gary Oak

This is interesting. The son of a British Hong Kong police inspector told me a number of years after handover that the post handover HKPD brought in a rule that applicants must be able to read and write Chinese in order to apply successfully to weed out any nonchinese applicants. I see that they are trying to do this here. When they are pulling tactics on us here  it should be quite obvious as to wether these new Canadiscams like us or not. This Naishun Lee who owns the mine ,did he forget to tell our immigration officials how he really feels about Canada and Canadians ?

Quote from: "Securious"http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+commitment+Chinese+mining+firms+hazy/7408248/story.html">http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+co ... story.html">http://www.theprovince.com/life/Jobs+commitment+Chinese+mining+firms+hazy/7408248/story.html

Securious

[size=200]All Eyes On NEXEN[/size]

Energy With Petronas-Progress review set to end, all eyes on CNOOC-Nexen

By Lauren Krugel, Canadian Press | Oct 19, 2012

.At $6-billion, Petronas' offer for natural gas producer Progress is substantial, but it's eclipsed by the $15.1-billion China National Offshore Oil Co. is offering for Nexen.

.CALGARY — With a federal review of a Malaysian state-owned company's takeover of Progress Energy Resources set to end Friday, observers are looking for signals about the government's thinking on a Chinese firm's larger — and more controversial — deal to buy Nexen Inc.

Both takeovers are by Asian state-owned players, are worth billions of dollars and sprung from joint-venture partnerships with Canadian firms, but the Chinese bid has stoked a great deal more political furor than the Malaysian one.

"China comes with more baggage, as befits a great power," said Gordon Houlden, director of the University of Alberta's China Institute.

At $6-billion, Petronas' offer for natural gas producer Progress  is substantial, but it's eclipsed by the $15.1-billion China National Offshore Oil Co. is offering for Nexen.

Political scientist Wenran Jiang says the challenge for Ottawa will be to show consistency in how it applies the Investment Canada Act's key net benefit test to foreign deals.

"They will have to appear that they use the same set of rules to evaluate, rather than using different tailor-made rules," said the senior fellow at the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada.

"They will have to show some seriousness as well as consistency."

The review of the Petronas-Progress deal is to run until Friday, unless it's extended again. Industry Minister Christian Paradis has extended the review of the CNOOC-Nexen deal until mid-November. The reviews can be extended by further 30-day increments, with the buyer's consent.

Jiang said the perception of Chinese firms compared with other state-owned counterparts is unfair in many ways.

"The Chinese state-owned companies are considered more menacing in a sense by some people than say a national oil company of Malaysia," he said.

"We need to figure out how do we treat China? Is this potentially treating China as an enemy? Or do you treat China as a business partner?"

While the University of Alberta's Houlden doesn't see a direct relationship between the Progress and Nexen reviews, he said a positive decision by Ottawa tomorrow would be "mildly reassuring" to the Chinese giant.

A year before their acquisition deal was announced, Progress and Petronas formed a partnership to jointly develop shale natural gas in northeastern B.C. and look at exporting the gas off the West Coast in liquid form.

CNOOC and Nexen also had a pre-existing relationship. Last year, CNOOC scooped up Opti Canada, Nexen's beleaguered minority partner in its troubled Long Lake oilsands project. The two firms also worked together in the Gulf of Mexico.

While Nexen's headquarters are in Calgary, its strategic importance to Canada is questionable. Only about 30 per cent of its forecasted daily production in 2012 is from its Canadian operations, with the vast majority coming from offshore platforms in the North Sea and elsewhere around the globe.

"I don't see these companies as being that material to the Canadian landscape," said John Stephenson, portfolio manager at First Asset Investment Management in Toronto.

"The government, I would suspect, would give its blessing to both deals...If you look at our oil and gas industry, we need hundreds of billions of dollars to develop the resource, to do the infrastructure. We just simply don't have the ability to finance all of that here."

Canada's spy agency raised a red flag on foreign investment by state-owned firms in its annual report earlier this year.

Though CSIS didn't name specific countries or companies it said certain state-owned enterprises have pursued what it called opaque agendas or received clandestine intelligence support for their pursuits in Canada.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said the Nexen-CNOOC deal "raises a range of difficult policy questions."

At a news conference in Senegal last week, he said there's a national security angle that factors into Canada's relationship with China.

"The relationship with China is important. At the same time it's complex. It's complex because the Chinese have obviously very different systems than we do — economic and political systems," he said.

"Of course, as you know, there's a national-security dimension to this relationship, in fact to all of our activities, that we take very seriously."

While the NDP doesn't have a position specifically on the Petronas-Progress takeover, it has raised a litany of national security, environmental and human rights concerns with the CNOOC deal.

What the two deals have in common, though, is that the federal review process is too secretive and doesn't set out clear enough guidelines on what constitutes a net benefit, said NDP natural resources critic Peter Julian in an interview.

"There is a deplorable process in place. It's a mess," he said.

"It's difficult for Canadians to determine whether it's in the best interest of the country because they haven't put forward that clear definition of net benefit and a process that allows for public consultations."

my opine..[dont make deals with the devil] S

Romero

Quote from: "Gary Oak"I was just talking to a Vietnamese woman. She told me that the reason why Chinese men are so ignorant when I a white guy speaks chinese is because they are afraid that  I am stealing THEIR women and that Chinese think that we are stupid. I already knew that. They sure want to live with us though. They believe that we are stupid for not understanding how evil they are. I heard a tong member refer to the head tax liek we are so evil but if you understand their oaths and rituals [ FAN QING FU MING ] then obvfiously our greatgrandparents weren't so stupid. They could see what the Chinese were up to. Many Canadians like Romero can't believe what's happening no matter how well it is explained to them. It is no wonde that the chinese think that we are stupid. They don't call the British stupid

Quote"On behalf of the people and government of Canada, we offer a full apology to Chinese-Canadians for the head tax and express our deepest sorrow for the subsequent exclusion of Chinese immigrants."

With those words from Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Chinese immigrants who paid a head tax to enter this country, their spouses and their descendants finally heard a long-awaited apology.

"To give substantive meaning to today's apology the government of Canada will offer symbolic payments to living head tax payers and living spouses of deceased payers," Harper announced in the House of Commons.

The government will also fund community projects, he said.

He acknowledged the contributions made by the thousands of Chinese who helped to build the national railway and said Canada turned its back on them when it imposed the head tax.

"We also recognize that our failure to truly acknowledge these historical injustices has prevented many in the community from seeing themselves as fully Canadian," Harper said.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=b902615e-3dfc-4fda-b843-feed3f45514f&k=37539">//http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=b902615e-3dfc-4fda-b843-feed3f45514f&k=37539

Securious

I think it timely to mention the real Truth regarding the Chinese who came over here to build our railway. They weren't the only peoples who came here BTW, but by and large, the only ones to gain media attention [curious isn't it]. It so happens there was an ulterior motive in gaining a foothold in Canada using the railway building jobs as just an entry point. The real purpose being Gold & Jade. I have traveled extensively along the Gold Trail/Fraser Canyon and talked to the folks there and they exclaim a different tale, far removed from the media drivel we have come to know as the Truth, the story we are told in our schools.

Greed and  selfishness was the real truth. Gold Mountain was well known to the Chinese. BC was the place to be to get rich. Get a job on the railway then jump at the earliest opportunity and search for gold and Jade. All along the trail evidence of this gold digging and jade hauling was found. Old workings still in evidence. So quite with the misty eyed notion of altruism and insensitivity towards our Chinese people when they howled for pity and retribution ....They don't deserve it. And the height of insults was that we Canadians must apologize for their mistreatment...What a joke. They weren't treated any differently than any other ethnic group.

Gary Oak

I heard a tong member complain briefly about the head tax last week. It is interesting that they don't feel the slightest guilt about at least two states having every single foreigner killed including women and children. That's okay with them.Their genociding the Tibetans that's all okay with them. Our great grandfathers generation were allowed to use common sense. One doesn't need to speak fluent chinese, know their history and have been over their oaths and rituals to know that they hate us and want to take over whichever nation that they have asked to let them immigrate to. Does FAN QING FU MING ring a bell ? What about KILL THING QING, EXTIRMINATE THE QING and DESTROY THE QING ? Yes this same man who mentioned the head tax would have sworn these oaths and 100% knows that the QING in Canada means GWAILO''s or LOFAN