The best topic

Replies: 8335
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 08:40:14 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Random Interesting Observation...

Started by Angry White Male, September 02, 2016, 01:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"Out of North, Central and South America, only Central American countries put Central America on their license plates. Wonder why?

That retard TD thinks it means their nationality.

JOE

I think what $20 is alluding to, is that all nationals born in Latin America and living South of the nation known as 'The United States of AMERICA' have a right to refer to themselves as 'American' as well. Actually, 'America' comes from the name of an Italian explorer named Amerigo Vespucci, and 'America' was a feminized version of his name. So the word was invented by European map makers who described the existence of 2 separate continents which were not part of Asia either. 'America' first appeared on map from 1507 made by a German cartographer, Martin Waldseemuller:

http://assets.atlasobscura.com/article_images/20803/image.jpg">

The green part of another map shown below is the same as that referenced in 1507:

https://olinuris.library.cornell.edu/sites/olinuris.library.cornell.edu/files/user7/Waldseemuller_1507.jpg">

Interestingly, he placed the word on the continent which is known today as South America, and that inscription appears to be referring to modern day Brazil and Uruguay. So aside from the first European who settled in this region, the inhabitants were the Natives there, or what we refer today as 'AmerIndians'. So I guess you could call them 'Americans' as well. Therefore, the first true 'Americans' were the Native peoples of the New World whom the European settlers (French, English, Spanish, Portuguese & Italian) would eventually displace.

kiebers

Actually J0E, you missed the point again.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

JOE

Quote from: "kiebers"Actually J0E, you missed the point again.

....so whuzzuh poin', kahbuzz?

This kinda reminds me of our discussion over at the otha fohum abou' what a 'redneck' is, K.

Ya kinda wishy washy an ya caint make up yer mind, K.

Else that or yer real ornery, one way or the otha'.

Oh well.

kiebers

His point is that, anyone referring to the citizens of the United States of America including the citizens, are wrong to call them Americans.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"His point is that, anyone referring to the citizens of the United States of America including the citizens, are wrong to call them Americans.

He doesn't like it, but it does not change the fact that the nationality of citizens of the USA is AMERICAN.