News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 8486
Total votes: : 3

Last post: July 04, 2024, 11:20:11 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Will nations with Cold climates become appealing because of the Zika virus?

Started by JOE, September 02, 2016, 12:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

...it appears that the mosquito which causes the Zika virus, the Aedes Aegypti  cannot live in cold climates. Will this and the possible outbreak of other tropic borne diseases lead to a future migration to Northern climates?

Once thought of as undesireable and climatically inhospitable, perhaps the Northern winters will become a mecca for those escaping the pestilence in the South. There seems to have been this migration southward for the last 150 years.

However, will this trend reverse itself?

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"...it appears that the mosquito which causes the Zika virus, the Aedes Aegypti  cannot live in cold climates. Will this and the possible outbreak of other tropic borne diseases lead to a future migration to Northern climates?

Once thought of as undesireable and climatically inhospitable, perhaps the Northern winters will become a mecca for those escaping the pestilence in the South. There seems to have been this migration southward for the last 150 years.

Do they have all inclusive vacation packages to Baffin Island? :laugh:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "JOE"...it appears that the mosquito which causes the Zika virus, the Aedes Aegypti  cannot live in cold climates. Will this and the possible outbreak of other tropic borne diseases lead to a future migration to Northern climates?

A big old igloo on the tundra with all the whale blubber you can eat.

Anonymous

:laugh:

Anonymous

JOE

Quote from: "seoulbro"Zika or not, I am still going to Florida to play gold this winter.

Actually the desireability of living in southern climates is a relatively recent phenomenon among those from northern countries. The southern climes were once thought of as inhospitable and overbearingly hot. Along with all the diseases and pestilence which came from there. Ie leprosy, parasites, etc.

I think it was the invention of air conditioning and modern sanitation systems which may have made it appealing to live there for Northerners.  The growth of these southern destinations took place in the 20th century. But things like zika may make then less desireable to live there again.

I dunno just my 2 pence.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "seoulbro"Zika or not, I am still going to Florida to play gold this winter.

Actually the desireability of living in southern climates is a relatively recent phenomenon among those from northern countries. The southern climes were once thought of as inhospitable and overbearingly hot. Along with all the diseases and pestilence which came from there. Ie leprosy, parasites, etc.

I think it was the invention of air conditioning and modern sanitation systems which may have made it appealing to live there for Northerners.  The growth of these southern destinations took place in the 20th century. But things like zika may make then less desireable to live there again.

I dunno just my 2 pence.

In Seoul's case, he can play golf in the winter.

Anonymous

I dunno just my 2 pence.

You are scared of your own shadow.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

I dunno just my 2 pence.

You are scared of your own shadow.

He worries more than most men do, that's all.

Twenty Dollars

Looks like there are more reported cases in Florida than in Costa Rica?

Anonymous

ac_toofunny