Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Practical vs. Unrealistic Christianity

Started by JOE, October 30, 2016, 01:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oberon"It all happened in your own mind, Fash.

There is no tangible evidence of any such deity, except for that which exists in your own mind. No cosmic entity affected you or your life. You did. And as much as you would like to believe, why not be honest and say you believe in your god because according to his representatives on earth, you will be granted immortality.

Put another way, the fact that death is absolute and the termination of your existence frightens you.

Who the hell cares? If she wants to believe that is what happened, is it any skin off your hide? Religion is harmless. Ideology is the enemy of advanced civilization.

Bricktop

Religion is FAR from harmless. ALL religion is subversive and undermines human rights.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oberon"Religion is FAR from harmless. ALL religion is subversive and undermines human rights.

No, it does not. It is silly superstition and nothing more. Ideology is what drives suicide bombers. It is ideology that puts working Canadians out of good paying natural resource jobs and drives up the cost of living under the guise of saving the frickin planet. It is ideology that is driving our pm being Islam's best friend.

Is Fash or Dove or old Jock doing anything that harms their nation? Hell no, and do you know the reason why? They have a religion, not a frickin ideology.

Bricktop

What is the main barrier to voluntary euthanasia for the terminally ill? Religion.

What is behind the anti-abortion lunacy in the US? Religion.

What organisation has harboured hundreds of paedophiles and hidden them from justice? Religion.

What organisation receives generous tax subsidies that YOU and I pay for? Religion.

What organisation forbids birth control in countries where birth control will save thousands of lives? Religion.

What organisation is the cause of the current dangerous state of the world? Religion.

What organisation reaps BILLIONS of dollars from its devotees based on lies, deception and fraud? Religion.

What organisation divides families? Religion.

Sorry, sunshine. It is far more seditious that a "silly superstition". It is the cause of enormous social conflict and disharmony.

Anonymous

Q What is the main barrier to voluntary euthanasia for the terminally ill? Religion.

A Individual choice and nobody's business if someone chooses to live or die for whatever reason including religion. No church or temple or synagogue around here has made an issue out of it.

Q What is behind the anti-abortion lunacy in the US? Religion.

A Abortion has been legal in the US for 43 years. I am not religious, but I am appalled by late term abortions.

Q What organisation has harboured hundreds of paedophiles and hidden them from justice? Religion.

A The Democratic Party of USA(Barney Frank, Anthony Weiner)

Q What organisation receives generous tax subsidies that YOU and I pay for? Religion.

A Anything that claims to be green and uses the TIDES foundation charity status.

Q What organisation forbids birth control in countries where birth control will save thousands of lives? Religion.

A What Western country forbids birth control? Some Eastern countries don't want it so they can increase their declining birth rates.

Q What organisation is the cause of the current dangerous state of the world? Religion.

A No, that is Islam and as Hermie pointed out, is an ideology not a religion.

Q What organisation reaps BILLIONS of dollars from its devotees based on lies, deception and fraud? Religion.

A Al Gore and Greenpeace.

QWhat organisation divides families? Religion.

A NOW and NAC in Canada

Sorry, sunshine. It is far more seditious that a "silly superstition". It is the cause of enormous social conflict and disharmony.

Sorry, but it is but a harmless vice that is nobody's business. Islam excepted of course because it is NOT just a fucking religion.

Anonymous

A few of the things Oberon wrote, he is under the impression most believers bring their faith into politics..

I don't know about religions, but neither myself nor Dove are overly political..

Politics is where secular people put their faith.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14907276_1610978769196943_7424421511116595608_n.jpg?oh=dd383d89eae85a1077a3d950552c109c&oe=58995C0A">

:thumbup:

JOE

See Fashionista....your is what I call a more Practical Christianity.

It has a practical basis in reality.

Ie - Fashionista has a closer bond with her faith. It guides her to get an education. She gets a good job. She meets a guy with similar values and a religious faith. She has kids, whom she and her sigificant other will impart to them. They grow up relatively normal and well adjusted.

.....but at least it is grounded in reality, rather than some guy who condemns me for being agnostic, and then can't explain in a practical way how to solve the world's problems that those in power have created. He just said that according to the bible, its stated in revelations jesus will come back and send all the evildoers to hell, clean up pollution, poverty, wars, income disparity with abacadabra and then doesn't have a practical basis in reality which yields results.

At your worldview has a practical basis in reality and yields positive results that one can see. His doesn't. He just spews out hate, condemns everybody else in order to make himself feel he's better than everybody else. But in the end, he solves nothing, nor does he create anything and above all, he doesn't deliver any results. At least you do. Seems you had a goal, you asked your faith to help you deliver, and it did. It solved the problem, and that's what icall practical as opposed to unrealistic christianity.

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Oberon"So, how do you know God has done anything in your life? Why can't you take responsibility?

If God is so benevolent to YOU, why is he such a despotic and cruel overlord to millions of others?

You give credit to man when it is undeserved and blame to God..

It's the other way around...

I grew up in a Christian home, but I was a church kid who road my parents coattails, but I did not really have a relationship with God..

I was in my late teens that I really received Christ as my Lord and savior and there were noticeable changes that followed.

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Oberon"All religion is subversive, illogical and irrational.

Why people who "save" themselves from their own personal demons, whatever they may be, feel the need to allocate responsibility to an illusionary deity defies belief.

People "save" themselves. They make their own decisions. They set their own destiny.

It is remarkable that sensible, intelligent and reasonable people claim that their individual salvation is "proof" that god exists, whilst billions of others live in misery, despair and agony. There is an element of extreme selfishness that fosters such delusions.

I agree, but who cares. Islam on the other hand is lethal. A deadly ideology that pretends it is just a silly religion.

The subject is Christianity. For me it's smoke, mirrors, and your fair share. The fair share is for atonement part.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"A few of the things Oberon wrote, he is under the impression most believers bring their faith into politics..

I don't know about religions, but neither myself nor Dove are overly political..

Politics is where secular people put their faith.

And many muslims will say they are not overtly violent.

Yet, in their name, violence is carried out.

The beast of religion relies heavily on a mass of devotees from which it draws its militant forces. That applies to christianity, islam and judaism.

It is the masses which give the extremists cause to claim they are acting in accordance to their religious beliefs; beliefs created, promulgated and strengthened within the body of the church, mosque or synagogue. Everyone believes it, so it must be true, thus their cause is just. And so we see christianity the basis of anti-gay movements, anti abortion crusaders and anti birth control measures. American presidents ask god to bless the USA as it prosecutes its war crimes. We see judaism and islam justify terrorism.

There are no innocent devotees; each follower is a small component in a larger machine that generates lies and perversion to justify its conduct.

If every brainwashed, mind controlled peon simply turned around and walked away from their false god, the world would be a better place, and war and terrorism would be subdued dramatically.