Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

A

Horse meat found in Swedish meatballs at Ikea Europe

Started by Anonymous, February 26, 2013, 09:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/ikea-stops-selling-meatballs-across-europe-after-horsemeat-dna-found-a-885637.html">http://www.spiegel.de/international/eur ... 85637.html">http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/ikea-stops-selling-meatballs-across-europe-after-horsemeat-dna-found-a-885637.html

After horse DNA was found in meatballs on sale in a store in the Czech Republic on Monday, Swedish furniture group IKEA stopped selling the product in 13 countries. On Tuesday, Germany and others were added to the list, which now numbers at 24.

Swedish furniture chain IKEA has withdrawn its Köttbullar meatballs from stores in 24 countries in the last two days, adding Germany and others to that list on Tuesday after Czech food inspectors found horse DNA in frozen meatballs at a branch in Brno on Monday.

A company spokeswoman confirmed that the meatballs had been taken off the shelves in Germany on Tuesday. It remains unclear whether horsemeat was served to customers of stores in the country, though.

"The IKEA Group has taken an extra-precautionary measure by issuing a temporary sales stop of meatballs in parts of Europe," the company said in a statement on Monday. "The sales stop concerns meatballs manufactured by one supplier in Sweden and applies to all European countries except for Norway, Russia and a limited number of products in Switzerland and Poland."

"We take seriously the test result from the Czech Republic authorities, indicating presence of horse meat in one batch of our meatballs."

The company said it had initiated DNA analyses of all meat products in the range two weeks ago and that twelve tested samples of different batches of meatballs showed no traces of horsemeat. "We expect the test results at the end of the week to confirm that there are no indications of horsemeat in the meatballs."

The meatballs in question were supplied by Gunnar Dafgård AB, a family-run frozen food business in southwestern Sweden. The company could not immediately be reached for comment.

In Germany and many other European countries, undeclared traces of horsemeat have been found in ready meals such as ravioli, frozen lasagna and tinned goulasch in recent weeks. A major investigation into the scandal is underway.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/ikea-stops-selling-meatballs-across-europe-after-horsemeat-dna-found-a-885637.html">http://www.spiegel.de/international/eur ... 85637.html">http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/ikea-stops-selling-meatballs-across-europe-after-horsemeat-dna-found-a-885637.html

After horse DNA was found in meatballs on sale in a store in the Czech Republic on Monday, Swedish furniture group IKEA stopped selling the product in 13 countries. On Tuesday, Germany and others were added to the list, which now numbers at 24.

Swedish furniture chain IKEA has withdrawn its Köttbullar meatballs from stores in 24 countries in the last two days, adding Germany and others to that list on Tuesday after Czech food inspectors found horse DNA in frozen meatballs at a branch in Brno on Monday.

A company spokeswoman confirmed that the meatballs had been taken off the shelves in Germany on Tuesday. It remains unclear whether horsemeat was served to customers of stores in the country, though.

"The IKEA Group has taken an extra-precautionary measure by issuing a temporary sales stop of meatballs in parts of Europe," the company said in a statement on Monday. "The sales stop concerns meatballs manufactured by one supplier in Sweden and applies to all European countries except for Norway, Russia and a limited number of products in Switzerland and Poland."

"We take seriously the test result from the Czech Republic authorities, indicating presence of horse meat in one batch of our meatballs."

The company said it had initiated DNA analyses of all meat products in the range two weeks ago and that twelve tested samples of different batches of meatballs showed no traces of horsemeat. "We expect the test results at the end of the week to confirm that there are no indications of horsemeat in the meatballs."

The meatballs in question were supplied by Gunnar Dafgård AB, a family-run frozen food business in southwestern Sweden. The company could not immediately be reached for comment.

In Germany and many other European countries, undeclared traces of horsemeat have been found in ready meals such as ravioli, frozen lasagna and tinned goulasch in recent weeks. A major investigation into the scandal is underway.

Yea, they found horsemeat in or kebab.

Odinson

Anonymous

Odinson

Quote from: "seoulbro"Is horse meat consumption legal in the EU?

Yea.

It tastes good.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

Yea.

It tastes good.

Is it sold in supermarkets just like chicken or beef?

Anonymous

I remember many years ago in Seongnam near Seoul seeing the market where they sell and slaughter live dogs. No picture taking allowed.

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Yea.

It tastes good.

What would you compare the taste of it to?

Moose, maybe.

Odinson

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Yea.

It tastes good.

Nah, it´s rarer.

Odinson

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Nah, it´s rarer.

Where do you buy it? Directly from farmers? I buy farm raised elk from a farmer not far from where I live.

I bought it directly from a farmer.

Odinson

Where do you buy it? Directly from farmers? I buy farm raised elk from a farmer not far from where I live.

I bought it directly from a farmer.

Is that legal?

I don´t know. :)

Odinson

Is that legal?

I don´t know. :)

and don't care

You guessed it. ;)

Odinson

and don't care

You guessed it. ;)

There is a butcher shop in my city that sells alligator, wild boar, ostrich, kangaroo, oppossum, turtle, rattle snake, caribou(reindeer), shark and the flesh of a few other critters that I can't recall.

A lot to choose from... I would try all of those atleast once.

Odinson

There is a butcher shop in my city that sells alligator, wild boar, ostrich, kangaroo, oppossum, turtle, rattle snake, caribou(reindeer), shark and the flesh of a few other critters that I can't recall.

A lot to choose from... I would try all of those atleast once.

Some of them I thought would taste good I didn't like and some I thought I would like I didn't.

Wild-boar, ostrich, caribou and shark are a safe choice.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"Alberta exports horse meat to Europe and the controversy is having affecting exports from this province.

QuoteCALGARY -- The horse meat controversy in Europe is having a ripple effect on Alberta.

Bruce Flewelling, who sells horses for slaughter, said he was told last week by the facility he sends his animals to that it couldn't accept any for the time being.

Alberta ships horse meat to Belgium, France, Switzerland and Japan.

"The pounds of meat we're shipping to Europe has been cut in half," he said, adding that's frustrating for Albertans affected. "The scandal had nothing to do with our horses."

Flewelling said he knows of only two facilities in Alberta that slaughter horses. He estimates 1,000 horses are slaughtered in the province every week and says the number includes old or crippled animals, none of which are raised for slaughter.

He anticipates he'll be able to start selling horses again next week, but is unsure how quickly the local industry will rebound.

"It's a big concern -- to start with, it looked like they were going to shut the doors," he said of export of horse meat overseas.

"I think it will take awhile; I think it will rebound but I don't think it will come back to what it was."

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/02/20130226-191607.html">http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/ca ... 91607.html">http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/02/20130226-191607.html

If we drive to Waterton Park, my husband and I take a detour to avoid driving by the Fort Macleod horse plant.

:(