News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Who was the Greatest Hockey Player off All Time?

Started by JOE, November 08, 2016, 03:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the Greatest Hockey Player off All Time?

Bobby Orr
0 (0%)
Wayne Gretzky
1 (33.3%)
Other (name the player)
2 (66.7%)
I don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: November 15, 2016, 03:17:40 PM

JOE

I've thought about this one lately.

A number of my friends and many others have said, "Bobby Orr. Orr Definitely."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e8/e6/ed/e8e6ed0296f87ad1341ee1743797b941.jpg">

No one I've met has mentioned Gretzky.

http://activeforlife.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gretzky-wayne-oilers.jpg">

And all the commentaries I've read say the same thing.

For sure, Bobby Orr was a great player. He revolutionized the game, elevated the status of the defenceman as a stay-at-home stalwart into an offensive threat. And there was no better a player to become that symbol of newfound blueline offensive power than Orr. Fast, sleek, moves never heard of seen before in the history of the game.And he won big, took a long-suffering cellar dweller in the Boston Bruins and eventually made them a first place team and Stanley Cup champion. He did so twice, and got them into the Stanley Cup final once. So that was three times he made it into the Stanley Cup final, despite playing just 9 seasons.

Wayne Gretzky was also a great player who revolutionized the offensive game somewhat. Perhaps not to the degree that Orr did to defence and to the game overall, but he did make his presence felt. Gretzky won the Cup 4 times, and went to the final in 3 others. He was the only player to score over 90 goals and 200 points. No other player has since come close. In addition, he was perhaps the single factor which allowed Canada to triumph over the great, seemingly invincible teams of the old Soviet Union.

Now, I've started to think there are flaws in the argument that Bobby Orr was the best. While he transformed the game, there were also flaws in his character and style of play. For starters, Orr and his Bruins never defeated their nemesis, the Montreal Canadiens, in the playoffs. Not in their first encounter, their second, nor their third. Boston, even with Orr at their helm, could never go over the top against the Canadiens. Even Phil Espositio later admitted that the Bruins lacked discipline, and that this was their achiles heel. Also, Bobby Orr played during the time of older equipment, when the game was slower, the players smaller and slower as well. So, it's perhaps little wonder that he stood out so much. On the other hand, Wayne Gretzky stepped into the game, when it had already become more competitive, the players larger and faster. It's also noteworthy that Gretzky also played against some the same players that Orr faced during his career. ie - Guy lafleur, the great montreal canadien teams, Gilbert Perrault, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe. And he matched them toe to toe.

The other thing about Gretzky as well - he faced all those great Russian players and teams following the European invasion and the collapse of the Soviet Union. And he proved to be as good, talented, fast and clever as them. So Gretzky may have played in a much more competitive era than Orr. By that time, the players were better conditioned as well.

So...it's really hard to say. I'd say it's a draw. Each was undsiputedby the greatest player of their era.But in some respects, I'd even give Gretzky the edge. And it seems that he was even a better clutch player than Orr. He won just as many if not more important professional and international games than him.

cc

A hockey puck is a hockey puck is a hockey puck

That said, I watched Orr do his magic up close in the front row at Maple Leaf Gardens..... they beat TO and I got hassled badly for cheering for Boston
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

My husband says Mario Lemeiux was the greatest talent to ever play in the NHL.

Anonymous

Bobby Orr is undeniably up there. I think the two most complete players of all time were Saskatchewan's very own Gordon Howe and Mark Messier.

JOE

The other thing about Bobby Orr and Boston.

They lost against the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1974 Stanley Cup final.

Many have stated that the Flyers played a goon game, and that's what allowed them to defeat the more highly skilled Bruins with Orr on defence.

However, there's another side to the story too. The Flyers played a disciplined defensive game and were able to shut Orr and Esposito down.

People should give them credit. The Flyers had a lot more talent than people were or are still willing to give them credit for.

I remember them, and Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber, Reg Leach were fairly decent players in their own right.

Also, it's noteworthy that Boston's nemesis, Montreal, were finally able to subdue the Flyers in just 4 games 2 years later, and the Bruins even with Orr couldn't accomplish this task.

The other thing I've noticed is that the Orr's so-called goal of the century in the 1970 playoffs was against the St. Louis Blues whom they beat handilly in just 4 games.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Bobby_Orr_in_mid-air_%281970%29.jpg">

So it was a lopsided affair before the divisions were re-aligned. Orr and the Bruins easily won that series and the Cup, but a year later were eliminated by Montreal in the quarter finals. So had the Bruins faced a better team in 1970, Orr's goal might not have been so magnificent nor happened at all.

On the other hand, when he was in his prime, Gretzky and his Oilers romped over everybody else and the team was clearly better than their opposition.

Not just in regular season, but in the playoffs as well.

Anonymous

Guy Lafleur and the late seventies Habs. That was some impressive defense.

Anonymous

@realAzhyaAryola

I can only name Alex Ovechkin as he is during my time. I did not see how the others played so I cannot say how great they were but I consider Alex Ovechkin the greatest hockey player of my time.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I can only name Alex Ovechkin as he is during my time. I did not see how the others played so I cannot say how great they were but I consider Alex Ovechkin the greatest hockey player of my time.

Not Sid the kid?

@realAzhyaAryola

He's my champion's rival. How can I choose him? I do like him as a hockey player. They are both good but I root always for Ovie.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"He's my champion's rival. How can I choose him? I do like him as a hockey player. They are both good but I root always for Ovie.

Who you root for and who is the best are two different things.

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola