Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

The media and it's infulence over stereotypes

Started by shin, December 02, 2016, 09:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

How much has the media shaped the way you feel about different ethnic groups?

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"How much has the media shaped the way you feel about different ethnic groups?

Excellent thread shin.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

This was one of the most popular topics on the old Asian American forums..

I have some things to say on this subject and I am sure Shen Li, and Seoul will give their two cents and possibly Herman will too..

Unfortunately, I have to go to work now, but I will be back at either lunch or after work to participate in this thread.

GORDY GAMBINO

COPS is like 99 % chasing those low life niggers.
RW = ANAL SIZE WHORE

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "shin"How much has the media shaped the way you feel about different ethnic groups?

Excellent thread shin.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

This was one of the most popular topics on the old Asian American forums..

I have some things to say on this subject and I am sure Shen Li, and Seoul will give their two cents and possibly Herman will too..

Unfortunately, I have to go to work now, but I will be back at either lunch or after work to participate in this thread.

I remember a lot of those guys would use their perceptions of Asians in the media to portray themselves as victims of the man. A bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Anonymous

I only know this subject as it relates to East Asians..

One of the most common complaints of some young East Asian men is that American media stereotypes them as asexual or sexually undesirable..

On the old Asian American forums, there was resentment against East Asian women in interracial relationships, including yours truly..

They thought we were brainwashed or whitewashed by the media and sold out.

I have a younger brother who believed that too, but he did not blame anyone outside the media though..

Even though I was sometimes the focus of their anger, I do understand their feelings..

It's not easy being a young man anywhere and then being a visible minority on top of that makes adolescence even more problematic..

Added to this are the traditional cultural expectations of East Asian parents in a permissive North American society..

Most of the young men that I used to post with have made a successful transition to manhood..

I would like to know about this through the eyes of other minority groups.

Yeah Right

Interesting subject.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but I think there are other important factors beyond the media that get weighed when people assess group behavior.  

Like personal experience,

talking to friends, family members, acquaintances

and, perhaps if one is to delve further, statistical evidence,

as well as, last but not least, things like message boards.

I am here and ready to learn :laugh:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Yeah Right"Interesting subject.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but I think there are other important factors beyond the media that get weighed when people assess group behavior.  

Without a doubt Yeah Right..

On previous forums I posted at, the majority opinion of young East Asian was that the American media was solely responsible for their unpopularity with girls..

As I said, for most of them their opinions evolved as they grew older.

Yeah Right

On previous forums I was on, the majority opinion was that the American media was solely responsible for their unpopularity with girls..

yes, I found that interesting.  I could be wrong, but I think the tendency (of course there are numerous exceptions) is for people to be attracted to those most like them.  And if one lives in a majority white country a white woman is more likely to opt for the white guy even if the Asian guy is equally attractive or perhaps slightly more so.  

Just as I would expect if a white guy went to a mostly Asian country the same would happen in reverse (Asian women would generally prefer Asian men)

A more complicated question would be what influence, if any, would living in a majoirty white country do to the attraction of Asians to other Asians (or living in a majority asian country do to whites being attracted to other whites)

Anonymous

On previous forums I posted at, the majority opinion of young East Asian was that the American media was solely responsible for their unpopularity with girls..

That is certainly part of it Yeah Right..

East Asians, both male and especially female have high rates of ir in the USA..

Another reason of course is that most East Asians South of the border live in predominantly Caucasian areas.

Anonymous

I only know this subject as it relates to East Asians..

One of the most common complaints of some young East Asian men is that American media stereotypes them as asexual or sexually undesirable..

On the old Asian American forums, there was resentment against East Asian women in interracial relationships, including yours truly..

They thought we were brainwashed or whitewashed by the media and sold out.

I have a younger brother who believed that too, but he did not blame anyone outside the media though..

Even though I was sometimes the focus of their anger, I do understand their feelings..

It's not easy being a young man anywhere and then being a visible minority on top of that makes adolescence even more problematic..

Added to this are the traditional cultural expectations of East Asian parents in a permissive North American society..

Most of the young men that I used to post with have made a successful transition to manhood..

I would like to know about this through the eyes of other minority groups.

Some of them were really pathetic. They would not have known what to do with a gal even if they could get one.

Berry Sweet

People are sheep and will believe anything they see on social media.  A lot of people see a picture and a headline and just assume immediately without thinking about what they really saw or read and ask themselves, who, what, why, where and how?

We are all people...same inside we all wear a different canvas....seeing is selling and media knows that....more people need to use their brains....im fuckin tired today and i want some pho...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Some of them were really pathetic. They would not have known what to do with a gal even if they could get one.

The crybabies contradicted themselves too. They would say that the media alone was responsible for what men and women like and Hollywood makes Asian guys asexual to women.

Naturally, the next question would be, I guess you are a loser with women. The answer was always, nah I get lots of chicks, especially white ones. Hey, you just said, white chicks don't like Asian dudes because of Hollywood stereotypes?

It's all fucking horseshit. Either a guy has game and is desirable or he isn't. It doesn't matter what drivel Hollywood churns out. Confident, good looking, affluent men get us. Short, little crybabies with no money, whine on the internet on Saturday night.

Bricktop

The worst stereotype is MEN.

The Simpsons, Family Guy, Married With Children, The Office, Everybody Loves Raymond, Two and a Half Men, and a horde of others make men the scapegoats for sharp women and savvy kids.

How many movies base their comedic lines on humiliating and degrading men?

And many of these "comedies" (God help us should they actually make us laugh) are watched by young children.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oberon"The worst stereotype is MEN.

The Simpsons, Family Guy, Married With Children, The Office, Everybody Loves Raymond, Two and a Half Men, and a horde of others make men the scapegoats for sharp women and savvy kids.

How many movies base their comedic lines on humiliating and degrading men?

And many of these "comedies" (God help us should they actually make us laugh) are watched by young children.

Correction, only white men.

Bricktop