Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
Quote from: "Oberon"

Such as?

What will China do?

Close all Western factories?

China is now reliant on the west for its revenue. It needs to STFU.

Exactly. The centuries' old mindset needs to get on with the times. Let Taiwan go. It is its own country period.

I am not opposed to Taiwan making it's separation official. But, do we really want China to use it's vast influence in hot spots around the world against us? Do we want them aiding jihadi cells in the West?  I am not saying they will, but if we recognize an independent Taiwan, we have to be prepared for an angry and irrational China.

Seoul Brother, you worry too much. You are worse than a woman.

@realAzhyaAryola

I want my president to stand up against China even if no one else agrees with me. I don't want my country to kowtow to any other nations.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I want my president to stand up against China even if no one else agrees with me. I don't want my country to kowtow to any other nations.

I can certainly appreciate that AA. But, a cowboy who does not think of possible consequences before acting is dangerous. I am not saying Trump will govern like that. In fact, I expect him to become rather mainstream as he grows into the job.

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Thiel"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Herman"Fash might be happy about this, but China will not.

https://www.ft.com/content/fd19907e-b8d4-11e6-961e-a1acd97f622d">https://www.ft.com/content/fd19907e-b8d ... acd97f622d">https://www.ft.com/content/fd19907e-b8d4-11e6-961e-a1acd97f622d

Donald Trump risks China rift with Taiwan call  

First US-Taiwanese presidential contact since diplomatic relations were cut in 1979

Donald Trump risks opening up a major diplomatic dispute with China before he has even been inaugurated after speaking on the telephone on Friday with Tsai Ing-wen, the president of Taiwan.

The call, confirmed by four people, is believed to be the first between a US president or president-elect and a leader of Taiwan since diplomatic relations between the two were cut in 1979.

Although it is not clear if the Trump transition team intended the conversation to signal a broader change in US policy towards Taiwan, the call is likely to infuriate Beijing which regards the island as a renegade province.

The US has adopted the so-called One China policy since 1972 after the Nixon-Mao meetings and in 1978 President Jimmy Carter formally recognised Beijing as the sole government of China, with the US embassy closing in Taipei the year after.

The Trump team did not initially respond to multiple requests for comment but, after the Financial Times first published news of the call, confirmed that the president-elect had spoken with Ms Tsai and "noted the close economic, political, and security ties" between Taiwan and the United States

Taiwan is a de facto nation.

It would be de jure too, but China bullies the world into denying that Taiwan is a country.

We all know Taiwan would have a seat at the UN if not for China.

Bricktop

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
Quote from: "Oberon"

Such as?

What will China do?

Close all Western factories?

China is now reliant on the west for its revenue. It needs to STFU.

Exactly. The centuries' old mindset needs to get on with the times. Let Taiwan go. It is its own country period.

I am not opposed to Taiwan making it's separation official. But, do we really want China to use it's vast influence in hot spots around the world against us? Do we want them aiding jihadi cells in the West?  I am not saying they will, but if we recognize an independent Taiwan, we have to be prepared for an angry and irrational China.

China needs to learn some respect for the West.

It is neither militarily nor economically strong enough to intimidate us. It has been allowed to snub its nose in our direction for years now. It needs to learn some manners.

It has tied its economy to the West, which has improved its economy exponentially. But that is a double edged sword. It is now reliant on the West to maintain its economy.

It is NOT a matter for China who the US President speaks to.

History also tells us China is big on talk...but not so strong when push comes to shove. It is more noise than substance.

Anonymous

China has a lot of nerve telling the president elect he cannot talk to whomever he chooses. Trudeau can praise a murdering dictator, but Trump cannot talk to the democratically elected president of Taiwan?

Good for Trump. I hope there are more calls to Taipei.

Bricktop

Offending China is FAR from the global crisis some are suggesting.

Its all talk...but little action.

And I cannot help but wonder, who are China's allies?

North Korea. Period.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oberon"Offending China is FAR from the global crisis some are suggesting.

Its all talk...but little action.

And I cannot help but wonder, who are China's allies?

North Korea. Period.

One of their allies died last week.

Bricktop

I think if push ever came to shove, Cuba would keep its head down.

90 miles from US air power is a good reason to.

JOE

Actually, why should mainland China be recognized as the only China?

Why can't there be two?

Aren't there two Sudans now after the country split in two?

Same with CzechoSlovakia also split, as did the former Yugoslavia.

It seems all this single recognition of one China has done, is make the West poorer and poorer. Not only is the US and its allies becoming indebted to Mainland China, they are sucking all the jobs out of North America and the West. They don't really play by the same rules & have a protected economy.

Seems the West and its citizens were far better off when they recognized Taiwan as the real China. Maybe if the corporations had poured all this money into Taiwan, let them act as the Middleman to deal with Mainland China, we'd all be better off today.

Anyways, Trump's a Nationalist and Taiwan the same, so they should get along just fine.

Anonymous

Bricktop

Trump gives China the finger.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/05/politics/kfile-stephen-moore-taiwan-call/index.html">http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/05/polit ... index.html">http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/05/politics/kfile-stephen-moore-taiwan-call/index.html

Well played, sir.

Anonymous

It was actually Chiang Kai Shek that started the one China policy with that China being the ROC..

He was urged by the government of Japan in the early 1960's to officially change the name of the ROC to the Chinese Republic of Taiwan, but dictator Chiang would have nothing of it..

Once resolution 2758 that expelled the ROC and recognized the PRC as only legitimate representative of China, the PRC adopted the one China policy..

I want Taiwan to be called Republic of Taiwan and shed our ROC legacy that Chiang Kai Shek forced on us.