Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

20,000 pounds for MINOR drink driving.

Started by Bricktop, February 01, 2017, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It's kind of like a sharia law that operates alongside western law except for the sporting fraternity.

What happens when no State laws are broken but the club punishes the player for something they don't like?

Happens sometimes here. A footy player does something not illegal but questionable. The State does nothing. The club doles out punishments.

Seems wrong but they did sign the contract. Seems to me that players need to collectively bargain out of being held to different standards or start a different league and leave the manipulators in the dust.

Oh ffs, I was waiting for someone to use that analogy. Why not call the team owners nazis. Get real, they are living the fucking dream.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. It's a contract both parties agree to. That it's draconian is another issue.

No gun is pointed at their heads when they sign that contract. It seems like not much of a sacrifice for a life of exceptional privilege.

It's a sacrifice of free will, whether intended or unintended.

I'd rather not sacrifice one iota of free will for anything but that's just me. Does it make it right though? Two codes working side by side until one code decides to contractually fcuk the persons shit up while the other bigger code does nothing.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: "kiebers"Like any other professional sports team the players sign contracts. I am sure there is plenty of bold print telling them they can fine them for pretty much whatever they want to. Seems fair to me. Get paid that kind of money you should be held to a higher standard. Too many players are looked up to and idolized by kids and adults alike. Doubt seriously a driver and care would have cost that much for a night.

So, you're saying your rights diminish the more money you earn?

So, if a politician gets caught for DUI, should the political party fine them as well?

How about the Law Society or equivalent billing wayward lawyers?

If we ask people who hit, kick or chase balls for a living to set our social standards, we are really not thinking clearly. If sports stars are to be the measure of our behaviour, we are well and truly stupid.

There is another issue here; a contract which binds the signatory to abrogate a lawful right or responsibility cannot be binding.

You have the right to only be penalised ONCE for a crime.

If the matter were resisted and referred to a superior court, I suspect sporting clubs would get a severe lesson in common law.

Of course, sporting professionals would be reticent to claim they were unfairly penalised, because the pay check far outweighs their common law rights.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "kiebers"Like any other professional sports team the players sign contracts. I am sure there is plenty of bold print telling them they can fine them for pretty much whatever they want to. Seems fair to me. Get paid that kind of money you should be held to a higher standard. Too many players are looked up to and idolized by kids and adults alike. Doubt seriously a driver and care would have cost that much for a night.

So, you're saying your rights diminish the more money you earn?

So, if a politician gets caught for DUI, should the political party fine them as well?

How about the Law Society or equivalent billing wayward lawyers?

If we ask people who hit, kick or chase balls for a living to set our social standards, we are really not thinking clearly. If sports stars are to be the measure of our behaviour, we are well and truly stupid.

There is another issue here; a contract which binds the signatory to abrogate a lawful right or responsibility cannot be binding.

You have the right to only be penalised ONCE for a crime.

If the matter were resisted and referred to a superior court, I suspect sporting clubs would get a severe lesson in common law.

Of course, sporting professionals would be reticent to claim they were unfairly penalised, because the pay check far outweighs their common law rights.

Real Madrid for example is a private organization. If they demand certain public behaviour from their members so be it. They are not the first private club to set standards.

kiebers

They signed a contract for big money, no one forced them to sign. It is just that simple.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

IRISH KAM

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It's kind of like a sharia law that operates alongside western law except for the sporting fraternity.

What happens when no State laws are broken but the club punishes the player for something they don't like?

Happens sometimes here. A footy player does something not illegal but questionable. The State does nothing. The club doles out punishments.

Seems wrong but they did sign the contract. Seems to me that players need to collectively bargain out of being held to different standards or start a different league and leave the manipulators in the dust.

Oh ffs, I was waiting for someone to use that analogy. Why not call the team owners nazis. Get real, they are living the fucking dream.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. It's a contract both parties agree to. That it's draconian is another issue.

No gun is pointed at their heads when they sign that contract. It seems like not much of a sacrifice for a life of exceptional privilege.

It's a sacrifice of free will, whether intended or unintended.

I'd rather not sacrifice one iota of free will for anything but that's just me. Does it make it right though? Two codes working side by side until one code decides to contractually fcuk the persons shit up while the other bigger code does nothing.

Clearly u know nothing .

When a man / Woman signs a Sports contract , there is a Clause that states , They CANNOT NOT bring to club into disrepute .

So when he was arrested for DD ( Pun intended ) he brought the Club / name of said club / Sponsers into disrepute .

So was punished for it .

Just deal with it DD instead of whingin aboot every fuckin Thang that gets posted .
LIBERALISM IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN TERRORISM ! ( KAM )

Frood

Shush, Kam. Your panty liner is showing.
Blahhhhhh...

IRISH KAM

Whats a panty liner ?

Is its a Man Hating ThAng ?
LIBERALISM IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN TERRORISM ! ( KAM )

Bricktop

Quote from: "kiebers"They signed a contract for big money, no one forced them to sign. It is just that simple.

Apparently I failed to make myself clear.

The law of contract works thus; if you coerce someone to sign a contract which allows an emloyer to impose corporal punishment, and the employer does indeed assault the employee...it is NO defence to present the contract, because common law disqualifies any contract that facilitates an abrogation of the protection of law.

The charge of assault would stand.

The law is also quite clear; an offender can only be penalised ONCE for the same crime falling from the same set of circumstances.

Penalising a person TWICE is a breach of common law.

Sporting clubs are on thin legal ice imposing a penalty on players after they have been penalised by the State.

If a court determines that the Club is indeed applying a second penalty, the contract is void.

Its, as you say, simple.

Anonymous

There are golf and country clubs that you can be kicked out of for legal infractions. I can't afford to join any of them, so it means nothing to me.

Bricktop

Breaching club rules is a separate issue.

However, if club rules impose a second penalty for a statutory offence, then in my view they are unlawful.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Breaching club rules is a separate issue.

However, if club rules impose a second penalty for a statutory offence, then in my view they are unlawful.

I say it will not be struck down by the justice system.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I say it will.

How much ya wanna bet?

I won't bet anything, but in North America, it's not unusual for pro sports teams to punish players for bad behaviour away from the game.