The best topic

Replies: 10482
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 28, 2024, 10:21:57 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

Blazor

Started by Anonymous, March 16, 2017, 10:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 26 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

A friend of mine is a graphic designer.

He told me only yesterday he's had enough. He's thrown in the towel. There's no work, and what little work there is has to be quoted so low as to be unprofitable in any case.

He has shut his business down.

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"A lot of the old skills are dying out...  I've had people run their fingers over my hand painted door lettering.  It has depth and character, something that vinyl can never have.  When people want to touch it, you know it's a rare thing of the past.

Now anyone with a few minutes of training and basic computer skills can easily print out a decal!

My great grandfather use to operate a couple printing presses out of his basement, one was the kind you used your foot on a pedal and hand cranked a wheel. He used lead type, that he made and set. Felt so good to hold paper that was printed using that type, you could feel it, so I know exactly what you mean.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"A friend of mine is a graphic designer.

He told me only yesterday he's had enough. He's thrown in the towel. There's no work, and what little work there is has to be quoted so low as to be unprofitable in any case.

He has shut his business down.

Bingo, its back to "the starving artist" lol. Tis a shame on your friend. He say what he might do now?

Bricktop

Well, he is of an age, like me. And his wife has a government job.

He thinks he may take up art, and sell that.

But he's over graphic design work. Too hard. Too much work for too little. And he was a good one...had a lot of big accounts in his early days.

Chuck Bronson

It's tough even for a small business owner to make money these days.  Myself, for instance, have lots of work here in the big city running my equipment.  However, the rates are fucking cut-throat (large immigrant population here doing this work also), so profit margins are razor thin, and it would be difficult, if not impossible, for me to demand a higher rate.  If I did, they'd just hire Balbinder Singh instead.

The only way to really make it work, would be running a large fleet.  Volume.  Just like Wal Mart.  Wal Mart runs at like 3% profit margins quarterly, which is shit, but they make up for that with volume, so they still make money.

There is no easy way to make money these days, at least legally.  A few get lucky, being in the right place at the right time, but many more don't.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"Well, he is of an age, like me. And his wife has a government job.

He thinks he may take up art, and sell that.

But he's over graphic design work. Too hard. Too much work for too little. And he was a good one...had a lot of big accounts in his early days.

I gotcha. Hes due for retirement then lol.

We have some artists who bring their art in for us to print, they make good money usually. Of course they have to sell it at events like fairs and stuff.

Blazor

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"It's tough even for a small business owner to make money these days.  Myself, for instance, have lots of work here in the big city running my equipment.  However, the rates are fucking cut-throat (large immigrant population here doing this work also), so profit margins are razor thin, and it would be difficult, if not impossible, for me to demand a higher rate.  If I did, they'd just hire Balbinder Singh instead.

The only way to really make it work, would be running a large fleet.  Volume.  Just like Wal Mart.  Wal Mart runs at like 3% profit margins quarterly, which is shit, but they make up for that with volume, so they still make money.

There is no easy way to make money these days, at least legally.  A few get lucky, being in the right place at the right time, but many more don't.

Use to be, the population was so low, they needed slaves to do work because there simply wasnt enough manpower. Now, we have become the slaves.

Btw, like the name lol. My name was almost Bronson, if it had been up to my dad. Bronson Luke is what it would of been. From Charles Bronson and Cool Hand Luke.

kiebers

Cookie salesman sounds good....heh heh heh
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Blazor

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
If you were a little younger, I would suggest becoming an indentured apprentice working towards journeyman papers..

But, in Canada few employers take indentured apprentices over the age of thirty five.

Towards any trade?

You have to be selective. HVAC tech, electrician, power lineman, heavy duty mechanic are the best. All can earn a very good wage once an apprentice successfully completes their four years.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Fashionista" If you were a little younger, I would suggest becoming an indentured apprentice working towards journeyman papers.. But, in Canada few employers take indentured apprentices over the age of thirty five.
Towards any trade?
You have to be selective. HVAC tech, electrician, power lineman, heavy duty mechanic are the best. All can earn a very good wage once an apprentice successfully completes their four years.

As an apprentice you get paid while in school instead of paying to attend.

Chuck Bronson

My Ex's father worked for BC Hydro.  Guy was averaging $150,000 year, with no special skills...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"My Ex's father worked for BC Hydro.  Guy was averaging $150,000 year, with no special skills...

What was his job?

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
If you were a little younger, I would suggest becoming an indentured apprentice working towards journeyman papers..

But, in Canada few employers take indentured apprentices over the age of thirty five.

Towards any trade?

I gotcha man.

Blazor

As an apprentice you get paid while in school instead of paying to attend.

That does sound cool lol.