Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Sux to be you, part the fifth...

Started by Bricktop, April 07, 2017, 11:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

I'd love to see Santana, but I don't particularly like outdoor concerts.

i also don't like these megaconcerts that have become the norm here like Riot Fest Lollapallooza, and Coachella.

I think a good concert shouldn't have more than 4 different acts.

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"You never know.  Maybe the sun will shine on you.

Well, not today, apparently.

Not only that but winter is dropping by for a day to remind us what's coming.

17C.

How do I stop from freezing in that temperature?

IRISH KAM

Quote from: "Bricktop"

17C.

How do I stop from freezing in that temperature?

When we get 17C , im wearing Shorts and a Muscle vest .

Thats Tropical for Us .   ac_cool
LIBERALISM IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN TERRORISM ! ( KAM )

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

17C.

How do I stop from freezing in that temperature
?

:001_rolleyes:

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"I'd love to see Santana, but I don't particularly like outdoor concerts.

i also don't like these megaconcerts that have become the norm here like Riot Fest Lollapallooza, and Coachella.

I think a good concert shouldn't have more than 4 different acts.

I'm not a fan of big festivals either. Three hours at a concert venue is enough for me.

Bricktop

Santana was, as always, majestic and rivetting.

But the Doobies, too, were AWESOME!!! I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, given they've sold a shitload of albums. But they were worth admission just on their own. I'd go see them again, any time!!!

priscilla1961

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I would love to see Santana.

Hey, who will be on vocals for the Doobies?

Take me at Doobies and  Santana. ac_dance
My Daughter Is Sweeter Than Fucking Sugar!!

Bricktop

Sure.

You need to rock on when THIS song starts.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3W3IzQ5sDM

The 20,000 plus went berserk when the first few chords thundered out over the crowd.

Bricktop

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/c57927abac7bfb8ace19298b867e835b?width=1024">

THE threat of rain and an icy wind couldn't keep thousands of music lovers away from Botanic Park last night, donning parkas and ponchos to gather together in a celebration of love and joy driven by guitar god Carlos Santana and his talented support acts Russell Morris and The Doobie Brothers.

Despite the city copping heavy showers just before Russell Morris and band took the stage, the rain stayed away for the entire evening, with the sun even breaking through the clouds at one point to bathe Morris in a golden hue.

It looked warm, but we didn't feel it.

Opening with Thunderclap Newman's Something in the Air, Morris had the crowd singing along in a nostalgic haze and set the tone for what was destined to be a solid night of quality music.

Despite Morris joking he's "smoked a lot of dope, took a lot of acid and pickled my brain", his voice was faultless, fearlessly tackling the high notes and finding them with ease — his voice as clean and clear as it has ever been and contrasting beautifully with the gritty sound of his vintage Telecaster.

As far as tight, hard rockin' blues goes, Morris's was as good a set as you'd hope to catch anywhere, proving Aussies can do the genre as well as any Yank can.

But rather than being simply generic blues and roots, Morris tells uniquely Australian stories, taking many back to places they had been before and painting a rich picture of our country's past for those who weren't around to remember it.

Wings of an Eagle and closer See the Real Thing were met with applause and then the man bid his audience farewell, giving us a chance to get some booze and hot food in an attempt to keep the cold at bay.

The Doobie Brothers play at Botanic Park, Adelaide. Picture: Emma Brasier

And then it was The Doobie Brothers' turn, opening with Jesus is Just Alright — which people of my parents' generation would know from both the Doobie's and The Byrds' version and who people of my era would know from the DC Talk cover they used to use as filler segments during ABC's teen timeslots in the early 90s.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/346c7364d1fc52df30b5bfdf6f43b0a3?width=650">

Either way, it was a killer opener, demonstrating the classic rockers' tight harmonies and punchy guitar line-up.

A slight detour into hoedown territory showcased the outfit's country chops and then they were straight back to rocking, with Marc Russo providing some welcome saxual healing, tearing it up on alto in Eyes of Silver.

The band has always been known for its tight harmonies, and their lush vocals were on particular display in the classic Clear as the Driven Snow.

Bill Payne then shovelled some more coal into the engine in a keyboard jam and, with all the fury of a runaway freight train, the Doobies launched into crowd favourite Takin' it to the Streets, proving the band are still as tight as they've ever been and can rock just as hard as bands much younger.

No Doobie Brothers show is complete without Listen to the Music, and the boys were clearly having an absolute blast doing what they love.

As much as either Morris or The Doobie Brothers could have headlined the show, it was Santana the punters were here to see, and the guitar virtuoso did not fail to impress.

From his first wailing note, the supernatural shaman cast his spell over us, apparently none more so than the hemp poncho-wearing hippy windmilling like a toddler given too much sugar in the aisle next to me.

Santana in action. Picture: Emma Brasier

Nobody can make a guitar sing like Santana who, unlike other guitarists, rarely changed instruments, sticking with his signature Paul Reid Smith goldtop for the majority of the 135-minute performance.

It's a dream line-up — Maria Maria, Love Makes the World Go 'Round, A Love Supreme, Evil Ways — a breathtaking blend of old and new, slow and fast that's almost overwhelming, slowing only for a moment to let you catch your breath before racing into the next rollicking track.

Anonymous

You're a lucky man Bricktop. I would love to see either act.

Bricktop

Hell of a double bill.

I would definitely go to see the Doobies again. They were sensational.

@realAzhyaAryola

Peace is important to me now. I do not like large crowds and too much merrymaking that you cannot hear each other. I think I've had my fill of these events.

Peace yo.

Stay at peace, not pieces.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

I'd have to admit that the crowd was too big, and we were too far from the stage to truly enjoy the magic. I was astounded at the size of the crowd, especially as it was the coldest night in 6 months and had rained all day.

I thought they might get 5 to 10 thousand. There was a least twice that, probably more.

Aryan

Did you indulge in any class A's while you were there?

Bricktop

I was with my daughter, so no.

And I don't do Class anything...so no, too.