The best topic

Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

A

Girls must sit at the back during school prayer meeting and can't attend at all if menstruating

Started by Anonymous, May 26, 2017, 04:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

QuoteThe Toronto District School Board has gotten a lot of flak this week for its decision to allow weekly Islamic prayer sessions in one of its school's cafeterias. While supporters and critics have been relentlessly debating the existential question of prayer in public schools, one group caught in the middle has garnered only a fraction of the attention. I'm referring to the female students who participate in Friday prayers at Valley Park Middle School, relegated to the back on the cafeteria and not permitted to participate when menstruating. Indeed, the TDSB itself has mostly skirted (no pun intended) the issue of gender segregation during prayers at Valley Park, absolving itself of responsibility by stating, "We do not have the authority to tell faith groups how to pray."

http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniandcollege/girls-should-not-be-segregated-on-public-school-property/">http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniand ... -property/">http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniandcollege/girls-should-not-be-segregated-on-public-school-property/

An obscene accomodation and taxpayers have little say in the matter.

RW

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
QuoteThe Toronto District School Board has gotten a lot of flak this week for its decision to allow weekly Islamic prayer sessions in one of its school's cafeterias. While supporters and critics have been relentlessly debating the existential question of prayer in public schools, one group caught in the middle has garnered only a fraction of the attention. I'm referring to the female students who participate in Friday prayers at Valley Park Middle School, relegated to the back on the cafeteria and not permitted to participate when menstruating. Indeed, the TDSB itself has mostly skirted (no pun intended) the issue of gender segregation during prayers at Valley Park, absolving itself of responsibility by stating, "We do not have the authority to tell faith groups how to pray."

http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniandcollege/girls-should-not-be-segregated-on-public-school-property/">http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniand ... -property/">http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniandcollege/girls-should-not-be-segregated-on-public-school-property/

An obscene accomodation and taxpayers have little say in the matter.

The "tax payer" can attend public meetings held by the school board as well as correspond via email or letter.

You can have your say if you choose.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I have no doubt taxpayers can oppose things like this, but at the end of the day, the school board will do what it wants to do.

This is one of the reasons why my children attend private school.

Anonymous

I read this story as girls can't attend school prayer meeting if masturbating. ac_toofunny

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"I have no doubt taxpayers can oppose things like this, but at the end of the day, the school board will do what it wants to do.

I suppose they can do what they want but trustees are elected and do answer to the public. I know the public can have a great deal of influence on districts.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I have no doubt taxpayers can oppose things like this, but at the end of the day, the school board will do what it wants to do.

I suppose they can do what they want but trustees are elected and do answer to the public. I know the public can have a great deal of influence on districts.

I live close to the area. There was a stink by the public about this.

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"

And what came of it?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

And what came of it?

I don't know. I don't have kids, so I don't follow these things too  closely.

RW

This case presents an interesting dilemma - religious freedom vs gender equality.  Both are protected under human rights so which one wins out when they are at odds?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"This case presents an interesting dilemma - religious freedom vs gender equality.  Both are protected under human rights so which one wins out when they are at odds?

Islam guaranteed, even though it's an ideology like communism or fascism and not a religion.

RW

Quote from: "RW"This case presents an interesting dilemma - religious freedom vs gender equality.  Both are protected under human rights so which one wins out when they are at odds?

Islam guaranteed, even though it's an ideology like communism or fascism and not a religion.

Regardless of your opinion of Islam, it's considered a religion in Canada.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

And that is why the West cannot deal with Islam appropriately.

Anonymous

I would have no problem at all with the prayer meeting rules if it was a private Muslim school.

RW

And that is why the West cannot deal with Islam appropriately.

IHJ, I have found that a lot of what you say about Islam isn't accurate so I don't put a lot of stock into comments like this.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"I would have no problem at all with the prayer meeting rules if it was a private Muslim school.

That's because you are religious and understand and respect religious belief.  It's funny how some of the most tolerant people are those from other religious groups.
Beware of Gaslighters!