Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Canadian Sniper Shatters Record For Longest Kill

Started by Romero, June 22, 2017, 02:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "kiebers"Typical of they way reporting is done now, they give the distance in feet for the biggest number. But 3,450 meters is indeed an awfully long shot.

I believe the numbers in the op are in feet.

That's where it gets confusing and misleading...When using imperial units, shooting range distances are always measured in yards....not feet.

It's odd that something like this would be expressed in feet. Even the American military uses metric measurements for range distances and has been doing so since the Vietnam era.

In that case, it is strange.

Romero

Quote from: "Renee"That's where it gets confusing and misleading...When using imperial units, shooting range distances are always measured in yards....not feet.

It's odd that something like this would be expressed in feet. Even the American military uses metric measurements for range distances and has been doing so since the Vietnam era.

Obviously an American media outlet would convert it to imperial. You've never seen that before? Happens all the time. Just like how a Canadian media outlet would convert imperial to metric.

It happened. Can't just make that up. The effective range of the TAC-50 is indeed 3,450m/3,770 yd.

QuoteA Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

Shooting experts say the fatal shot at a world-record distance of 11,316 feet underscores how stunningly sophisticated military snipers are becoming.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/22/canadian-sniper-sets-world-record-with-2-1-mile-pickoff-isis-fighter.html">//http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/22/canadian-sniper-sets-world-record-with-2-1-mile-pickoff-isis-fighter.html

Experts aren't disputing it.

Renee

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Renee"That's where it gets confusing and misleading...When using imperial units, shooting range distances are always measured in yards....not feet.

Obviously an American media outlet would convert it to imperial. You've never seen that before? Happens all the time. Just like how a Canadian media outlet would convert imperial to metric.

It happened. Can't just make that up. The effective range of the TAC-50 is indeed 3,450m/3,770 yd.

QuoteA Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

Shooting experts say the fatal shot at a world-record distance of 11,316 feet underscores how stunningly sophisticated military snipers are becoming.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/22/canadian-sniper-sets-world-record-with-2-1-mile-pickoff-isis-fighter.html">//http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/22/canadian-sniper-sets-world-record-with-2-1-mile-pickoff-isis-fighter.html

Experts aren't disputing it.

I've never seen range distances expressed in "feet". It's always yards or meters.

I'm pretty sure I've been on more ranges private or military (Fort Dix) than you so you can shove your condescending bullshit, you snippy little shit.

I guess it can be chalked up to the ignorance and penchant for the sensational that most journalists have regarding firearms and shooting.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

QuoteI'm pretty sure I've been on more ranges private or military (Fort Dix) than you

No doubt you have.

Romero

Quote from: "Renee"I've never seen range distances expressed in "feet". It's always yards or meters.

QuoteAmmoLand Shooting Sports News

April 3, 2014

British Sniper Sets Longest Sniper Shot Record – 8,120 Feet

Here is something that has been in the news recently and is worth bringing up again. In 2009 a British Army soldier by the name of Corporal Craig Harrison, of the Household Cavalry, set a new record for the longest shot in combat. Twice. Cpl. Harrison fired two shots at Taliban machine gunners in Afghanistan.

They were confirmed via GPS to be 8,120 feet from Cpl. Harrison's position.

That is 1.54 miles. More than a mile and a half. To make it even more astounding, the range was almost 3,000 feet beyond what is considered the effective range of the weapon. At that range the bullet takes around 3 seconds to reach the target.

The previous record was set in 2002 for a sniper kill at 7,972 ft. That shot was made by Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong, of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, who was using a .50BMG McMillan TAC-50 rifle.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/04/british-sniper-sets-new-long-distance-kill-shot-record-8120-feet/#axzz4kr8YcBSK">//https://www.ammoland.com/2014/04/british-sniper-sets-new-long-distance-kill-shot-record-8120-feet/#axzz4kr8YcBSK

:001_rolleyes:

It's pretty odd that you're trying to argue a unit of measure isn't supposed to be used for measuring distance. :laugh:

cc

You really must stop using such sites as Fox and Ammoland (above)

Your well established prog "loaded"  lame news reputation is in serious jeopardy
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

kiebers

Typically, when speaking of firearms and their effective ranges, yards and meters are used in the shooting community. I have been shooting now for almost 60 years and I have never spoke of, or heard of, feet being used as measurement in shooting distances. Those that don't shoot or those that want the most bang for their buck in a headline or story may opt to use the term "feet" so it sounds more dramatic, a tactic you are very familiar with.

It was a helluva shot to be sure.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Bricktop

The bullet would take around 10 seconds to reach its target, which presumably remains ABSOLUTELY stationary during that time.

ICB.