The best topic

Replies: 10392
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

RW, I'm Willing to Wager a Bet...

Started by Angry White Male, June 24, 2017, 12:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

kiebers

Still have dry counties and towns in Texas. This one does a good business due to a couple close towns not selling alcohol. It's also the closest to the Frio river in Concan.  

http://i.imgur.com/cWsPxBn.jpg?1">

Closeup of their sign.....

">
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Kiebers, that is so priceless. ac_toofunny

It should be in laughter lounge.

RW

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"There are towns in Canada that are "dry". Most reserves are dry too and we see how well that's working out.

I forgot about dry areas.  Mass prohibition was still a fail though.
Beware of Gaslighters!

kiebers

I know. I laughed my ass off when I came over that bridge and saw that for the first time. I have shopped there quite a few times. These are my pics....LOL Still have bullet holes from a failed armed robbery attempt.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

kiebers

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"There are towns in Canada that are "dry". Most reserves are dry too and we see how well that's working out.

It definitely was a fail in the states...LOL

I just saw a petition to allow alcohol sales for one of the small towns I mentioned above.

Anonymous

I'm anti alcohol now, but I agree.

weebles

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "RW"Most religions advocate following the laws of the land you live, including Islam.

Wrong. There is nothing in any religion quite like Islam.

In his new book Islamic Exceptionalism, Shadi Hamid a scholar at Brookings, and a self-identified liberal calls that  a "well-intentioned red herring." He says Islam really is different from other religions, he says, and many Muslims view politics, theocracy, and violence differently than do Christians, Jews, or non-religious people in Europe and the United States.

He said, "I see very little reason to think secularism is going to win out in the war of ideas. But the question is: Why would it in the first place? Why would that even be our starting presumption as American observers? It's presumptuous and patronizing to think a different religion is going to follow the same basic trajectory as Christianity"

I did a search of Shadi Hamid..

He pointed out something I knew and that is what we consider secular Malaysia and Indonesia actually have more sharia bylaws at the local level than many Middle Eastern nations..

He calls Muhammad a state builder, and to build a state you need to capture territory, which requires violence..

He summed up Islamism in a sentence as the attempt to reconcile pre-modern Islamic law with the modern nation state.

I have no problem with that and some Christians want to bring faith into the public sphere even though the Lord recognized the separation of state and faith..

Maybe if Muslims form majorities in some jurisdictions in the future they may enact bylaws that are centred around Islamic law..

We'll see I guess.

Not in our country.

And what if they did place restrictions on alcohol at the local level..

You and I aren't drinkers..

I can see Mel, Odinson, Herman and perhaps Shen Li and Seoul being angry, but it won't affect us.

you have to remember that  some people can sociably drink  and others that have drinking problem(s) IMO it   should   be seen as an addiction/mental health issue plus if it were banned there would be a huge illicit black market for it.

It would end up uncontrolled/unregulated and people would never know the quality or Alcohol by  volume  of a drink or what type or grade of alcohol they are comsuming Or even if it is alcohol.

it would be  much like the  opioid  crisis we face with fentanyl today and accidental Overdoses.

Since prohibition made  the Gangsters/Booze Runners Rich back in the day caused violent shootings and other Gang Relateed illegal activity it would not  work and people  need to be fre to choose if they want to drinl or not but their should be regulators  to insure it is safe and has quilty control.

also to prevent it from going to the black market and it  could be used to raise taxes (Sin Tax*) to help with alcoholism/addicton treatment(s) and anti-drinking and driving ad's.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_tax">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_tax

Criticism remains that Prohibition led to unintended consequences such as the growth of urban crime organizations and a century of Prohibition-influenced legislation. As an experiment it lost supporters every year, and lost tax revenue that governments needed when the Great Depression began in 1929.

source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibiti ... ted_States">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Angry White Male

We should legalize hockey stick beatings for uppity women...

Angry White Male

People make huge bucks smuggling in the booze.

RW

My great grandpa was a bootlegger.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Angry White Male

My Great Grandfather was very high up in the Nazi regime...  to the point where he discussed what he did with no one...  not even family.

RW

My grandpa died in a concentration camp.

He fell out of a guard tower.  

Hahaha
Beware of Gaslighters!

Angry White Male

You know, historically the Wops and the Krauts got along well enough...

Angry White Male

He never disclosed what he did in the regime to anyone...  Not even on his death bed.