Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

a first for Asia: Taiwan supreme court rules in favour of same sex marriage

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2017, 03:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I should've posted this two months ago..

The subject of gay rights and same sex marriage as it pertains to different cultures has came up a lot in the last couple of days, so I thought I would post this..

Better late than never.

Taiwan's top judges have ruled in favour of gay marriage, paving the way for it to become the first place in Asia to legalise same-sex unions.

The highest court ruled that current laws preventing members of the same sex from marrying violated their right to equality and were unconstitutional.

It gave parliament two years to amend existing laws or pass new ones.

Wednesday's landmark decision came as the LGBT community faces increasing persecution in the region.

In a press release following the ruling, the court said that "disallowing two persons of the same sex to marry, for the sake of safeguarding basic ethical orders" constituted a "different treatment" with "no rational basis."

The court concluded that "such different treatment is incompatible with the spirit and meaning of the right to equality" as protected by Taiwan's constitution.

The court's ruling means Taiwan's parliament will have to amend existing laws or pass new legislation.

But it's still unclear how far parliament will go.

The LGBT community hopes legislators will simply amend the existing marriage laws to include same-sex couples, which would grant them the same rights enjoyed by opposite-sex couples, including in cases of adoption, parenting and inheritance - and making decisions for each other in medical emergencies.

However, they fear parliament won't do that and will instead pass a new law that recognises same-sex marriages but gives them only some rights, not equal treatment in all matters.

Religious and parents groups opposed to gay marriage say they will lobby parliament not to pass any laws on legalisation. They argue such an important matter that affects the whole of society shouldn't be decided by just a few grand justices, but by the people in a referendum.

Both sides will now focus their attention on persuading the legislators.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40012047">http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40012047

Aryan

Anonymous

Meanwhile on the same day in Korea.

South Korean Military Sentences Captain for Sex With Other Servicemen

SEOUL, South Korea — A military court in South Korea sentenced an army captain to six months in prison on Wednesday for having sex with other servicemen, igniting an outcry against what rights groups called a homophobic "witch hunt" in the country's military.

The prison term for the captain was suspended for one year, which meant that if he did not break the law again in the next year, he would not go to prison. But he will be dishonorably discharged unless his conviction is overturned by an appeals court.

The captain, whose name was not disclosed, collapsed when the verdict was announced in military court, and he was taken to a hospital after hurting his head, said Lim Tae-hoon, the director of the Military Human Rights Center.

Amnesty International issued a statement condemning the verdict and urging the South Korean military to end "a bigoted hunt to root out gay personnel."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/world/asia/south-korea-gay-soldier-military-court.html">https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/worl ... court.html">https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/world/asia/south-korea-gay-soldier-military-court.html

Anonymous

East Asia has a lot more enlightened views about homosexuality. After all, most of the region does not subscribe to a violent, barbaric ideology. And the places that are the least tolerant of homosexuality that backward ideology is followed by the majority.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I should've posted this two months ago..

The subject of gay rights and same sex marriage as it pertains to different cultures has came up a lot in the last couple of days, so I thought I would post this..

Better late than never.

Taiwan's top judges have ruled in favour of gay marriage, paving the way for it to become the first place in Asia to legalise same-sex unions.

The highest court ruled that current laws preventing members of the same sex from marrying violated their right to equality and were unconstitutional.

Wednesday's landmark decision came as the LGBT community faces increasing persecution in the region.

In a press release following the ruling, the court said that "disallowing two persons of the same sex to marry, for the sake of safeguarding basic ethical orders" constituted a "different treatment" with "no rational basis."

The court concluded that "such different treatment is incompatible with the spirit and meaning of the right to equality" as protected by Taiwan's constitution.

The court's ruling means Taiwan's parliament will have to amend existing laws or pass new legislation.

The LGBT community hopes legislators will simply amend the existing marriage laws to include same-sex couples, which would grant them the same rights enjoyed by opposite-sex couples, including in cases of adoption, parenting and inheritance - and making decisions for each other in medical emergencies.

However, they fear parliament won't do that and will instead pass a new law that recognises same-sex marriages but gives them only some rights, not equal treatment in all matters.

Religious and parents groups opposed to gay marriage say they will lobby parliament not to pass any laws on legalisation. They argue such an important matter that affects the whole of society shouldn't be decided by just a few grand justices, but by the people in a referendum.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40012047">http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40012047

I say the CHINESE PROVINCE of Taiwan will not give homo marriage the same legal status as real marriage.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"I say the CHINESE PROVINCE of Taiwan will not give homo marriage the same legal status as real marriage.

:001_rolleyes:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Better late than never.

I say the CHINESE PROVINCE of Taiwan will not give homo marriage the same legal status as real marriage.

I'm sure gays who tie the knot think their vows are real.

Odinson

White armies should just arrive at the coast of China and get the chinese of balance...

Destroy them and make the taiwanese new commanders of all of China.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Alcoholic"White armies should just arrive at the coast of China and get the chinese of balance...

Stick to cheap vodka, thinking hurts your tiny brain.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Alcoholic"White armies should just arrive at the coast of China and get the chinese of balance...

He only thinks about vodka.

Odinson

And dole day.

Anonymous

Too much time on his hands.

Thiel

Better late than never.

Liberty wins. :thumbup:
gay, conservative and proud