Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Airbnb driving up rents in Canadian cities

Started by Anonymous, August 08, 2017, 07:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

Yeah, a credit card may get you their limit, like $5,000 or whatever, but no more.  And I doubt standard homeowners insurance would cover a dime of those repairs, since that insurance isn't meant for renting out as a business...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Yeah, a credit card may get you their limit, like $5,000 or whatever, but no more.  And I doubt standard homeowners insurance would cover a dime of those repairs, since that insurance isn't meant for renting out as a business...

My husband and I won't be advertising our home on that site.

GORDY GAMBINO

You rent an apartment for a month

Then sub rent it everyday on airbnb

The margin is yours

Run a few at a time to allow for the ones that get trashed you just walk away from
RW = ANAL SIZE WHORE

Anonymous

Quote from: "GORDY GAMBINO"You rent an apartment for a month

Then sub rent it everyday on airbnb

The margin is yours

Run a few at a time to allow for the ones that get trashed you just walk away from

Bad idea. The person who signed the rental agreement is responsible for any damages caused by the person they sublet it to.

Berry Sweet

People are trying to 'get rich'.  Problem is, most people are spending faster than the money is coming in.  'I want this, I want that!"  People are selfish.  Airbnb is also a problem for housing.  There are not many places to live because of it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"People are trying to 'get rich'.  Problem is, most people are spending faster than the money is coming in.  'I want this, I want that!"  People are selfish.  Airbnb is also a problem for housing.  There are not many places to live because of it.

It has reduced vacancy rates as more rental  properties are used for temporary rentals instead of long term among locals.

Angry White Male

I read that part of the problem, is that more people are living alone than ever before, thus putting pressure on availability.

However, the solution is quite simple...  We just have to build more units.  It's not like Canada is "running out of space."

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I read that part of the problem, is that more people are living alone than ever before, thus putting pressure on availability.

However, the solution is quite simple...  We just have to build more units.  It's not like Canada is "running out of space."

We actually are running out of space in cities where demand is greatest making renting out units on airbnb an appealing option.

Angry White Male

And that's part of the problem...  We live in a huge country, yet most people pack themselves right in the city.

Now, I can see why, if they have to be close to work, since our infrastructure is absolutely garbage for anyone that has to actually travel greater distances to work...

Anonymous

My Daddy owns rental units. I would never consider tennants let alone renting out properties I own short term.

Angry White Male

My Uncle owned a four-plex a few years back, strictly for rental purposes.

There were really good tenants that paid on time, and were no trouble.  However, some of the others WERE a problem.

He eventually decided to sell the properties, and wipe his hands clean of the landlord business.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"My Uncle owned a four-plex a few years back, strictly for rental purposes.

There were really good tenants that paid on time, and were no trouble.  However, some of the others WERE a problem.

He eventually decided to sell the properties, and wipe his hands clean of the landlord business.

That's the way it is with my Daddy's properties. He has had some terrific tennants, but others were renters from hell. Renting out suites on airbnb would be even worse.

Angry White Male

Absolutely.  I keep my place spic and span.

Last thing I need to do is clean up after pigs.  I don't even want strangers sleeping in my bed, new sheets or not!

RW

Ultimately the issue is strata councils not allowing rentals in the first place.  There's tons of empty apartments owned by foreign buyers who would rent them out if they could but strata prevents it.  Hence airbnb being an option.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Angry White Male

Quote from: "RW"Ultimately the issue is strata councils not allowing rentals in the first place.  There's tons of empty apartments owned by foreign buyers who would rent them out if they could but strata prevents it.  Hence airbnb being an option.

That changed, at least in BC.

They cannot restrict rentals anymore, at least not to buyers of units after the rule change date, such as myself.

Now, I am uncertain if the Strata council can change that bylaw, but if they could, I would assume I'm Grandfathered.