Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

You know what I cant stand?...

Started by Berry Sweet, August 16, 2017, 11:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berry Sweet

.. This drives me up the wall...people who always talk about other people they know and their successes in life, things they've accomplished or how much money they have...and its like, they are somehow trying to portray it to themselves...like its their success...

..like, yeah ok..sooo??...what about you? How does someone else success make you look good?  These people are so far gone in the head its whack.

JOE

Quote from: "Berry Sweet".. This drives me up the wall...people who always talk about other people they know and their successes in life, things they've accomplished or how much money they have...and its like, they are somehow trying to portray it to themselves...like its their success...

..like, yeah ok..sooo??...what about you? How does someone else success make you look good?  These people are so far gone in the head its whack.

Y'know Berr...I can identify with what you're talking about.

This job I recently quit, I was working with these people who were constantly bragging about how much money they had, how many houses they owned, etc. They were just low level workers and in one case, a woman I who was in my department had gotten her newfound (actually ill-gotten) wealth through a divorce. So she flaunted it, bragged and used it as collateral to push all the other workers around. She even managed to intimidate the management into getting her way, telling them what to do. She got days off whenever she wanted, sometimes unannounced, such as for frivolous reasons, like getting her nails done or hair dyed. And the management wouldn't do anything about it. She definitely got hers. She wasn getting favors for something completely unrelated to work - a financial status which had no bearing on her workplace performance. Worse yet, ill-gotten wealth she received through a divorce from a faithful husband who had earned well over 90% of it for her. This woman I would describe as what some would call 'an Expert User'. She used others to get excactly what she wanted in life.

What this resulted in, was a culture of 'exceptionalism'. "Make an exception for ME! Yes, I'm a spoiled pampered SHIT/BITCH, and I want mine!" At the same time, a number of workers mentioned how they resented this woman, especially those who had been there longer. Good workers who showed up every day. Who worked every shift, and would do extra shifts whenever asked. Rules which applied to them didn't apply to her. And they weren't getting rewarded/remunerated for their efforts. They were working hard, holding up the tent, but she wasn't doing her fair share of the heavy lifting. So in effect, the good workers were subsidizing her. Worse yet, the previous rules of seniority and merit based on hard work were being chucked out the window by the management. It became a sad joke.

But the net effect of this kind of workplace culture is that morale begins to drop. If those with more can get away with what they want, whenever they want, why work there? That is how I felt and was one reason I decided to walk out. The place which once had some rules, had turned into a zoo. Backstabbing, fighting began to abound. Poor morale, workers hating each other, etc.

So there's a price to pay for pushing that kind of mentality. It creates a toxic workplace driven by those with megalomaniacal personalities.  That's how that sort of thing translates into everyday reality.

Anonymous

Does anyone read any of Joe's posts to the end or do you glance at a few words and say next?

RW

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"Does anyone read any of Joe's posts to the end or do you glance at a few words and say next?

As soon as I notice it's Joe, I skip the post unless it's a topic I enjoy like something about law.

I still support him being able to post though :)

And I have a friend who grow up dirt poor who does this now that's he's more well off.  It's like he has to prove he's something great through other people.  It should be annoying but I don't find it to be that way because I understand where it comes from.
Beware of Gaslighters!

JOE

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"Does anyone read any of Joe's posts to the end or do you glance at a few words and say next?

As soon as I notice it's Joe, I skip the post unless it's a topic I enjoy like something about law.

And I have a friend who grow up dirt poor who does this now that's he's more well off.  It's like he has to prove he's something great through other people.  It should be annoying but I don't find it to be that way because I understand where it comes from.

Actually, my post though I admit a bit lengthy, is related to what Berry wrote. She complains about these individuals. I'm just telling her why they do it and where I've seen it translate into Real Life.

Many of those people who brag incessantly about themselves and material possessions do so as a form of empowerment. And then they use it as a weapon to put others down and gain status with those around them and the company they work for. They also use it to hide their own vulnerabilities, insecurities and weaknesses.

And they just love it and gloat when others suck up to them and say, "Oh really!? You're such a wonderful wealthy person! My, let me kiss/lick yer ass some more!" And the more you feed their egos and their need for self-gratification, the more they lap it up and heap their abuse on their next victim.

Not me, not ole Joe. I had the common sense to walk away from a work environment which nurtured those kind of toxic values which manifested themselves through braggadocio.

realgrimm

I barely ever read Joes posts especially if they are copy pasta, others I skim

RW

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "RW"

Actually, my post though I admit a bit lengthy, is related to what Berry wrote. She complains about these individuals. I'm just telling her why they do it and where I've seen it translate into Real Life.

Many of those people who brag incessantly about themselves and material possessions do so as a form of empowerment. And then they use it as a weapon to put others down and gain status with those around them and the company they work for. They also use it to hide their own vulnerabilities, insecurities and weaknesses.

And they just love it and gloat when others suck up to them and say, "Oh really!? You're such a wonderful wealthy person! My, let me kiss/lick yer ass some more!" And the more you feed their egos and their need for self-gratification, the more they lap it up and heap their abuse on their next victim.

Not me, not ole Joe. I had the common sense to walk away from a work environment which nurtured those kind of toxic values which manifested themselves through braggadocio.

I made it through half a line in the this one before I realised I don't care.  

Sorry Joe but you're boring.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "realgrimm"I barely ever read Joes posts especially if they are copy pasta, others I skim

:laugh:

Angry White Male

Some people become successful in life, and there is no harm in talking about this...  If anything, the audience should listen, to get ideas...

That being said, it is never a good idea to flaunt money around, but most people that have money don't do that anyhow.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Some people become successful in life, and there is no harm in talking about this...  If anything, the audience should listen, to get ideas...

That being said, it is never a good idea to flaunt money around, but most people that have money don't do that anyhow.

But Berry is talking is talking about people who flaunt other people's success as if it's their own.

Angry White Male

Berry's a simpleton, and will always be on the lower end of the food chain, so it is what it is with her...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Berry's a simpleton, and will always be on the lower end of the food chain, so it is what it is with her...

You are in no position to judge Berry..

She doesn't abuse alcohol.

@realAzhyaAryola

I am far too proud of my own successes that I do not focus on other people's success. If that makes me proud or filled with pride, so be it. You wouldn't catch me wasting my time talking about other people's success unless it is to share my joy for someone I care about who is doing so well. For example, I might say, "My son had another hat trick." or "A cousin is now a CEO..." or "My friend so and so is an arms expert and was just named director..." something along those lines.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I am far too proud of my own successes that I do not focus on other people's success. If that makes me proud or filled with pride, so be it. You wouldn't catch me wasting my time talking about other people's success unless it is to share my joy for someone I care about who is doing so well. For example, I might say, "My son had another hat trick." or "A cousin is now a CEO..." or "My friend so and so is an arms expert and was just named director..." something along those lines.

I too try not to go overboard talking about success..

It turns people off.