Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Irma

Started by kiebers, September 05, 2017, 09:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiebers

A short clip of Irma hitting Barbuda. The trees at the end are fearsome. Glad it is supposed to weaken some before getting to Florida. My heart goes out to the islands in the path.

">https://www.facebook.com/hmoyaduran/videos/1859485954092011/
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

My heart goes out to everyone in it's path.

Angry White Male

My truck is registered with the Ministry of Transport, in case we have a natural disaster.  Ka-Ching!!!!!

However, we don't seem to have natural disasters here.  If we did, it would be great for business!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"My truck is registered with the Ministry of Transport, in case we have a natural disaster.  Ka-Ching!!!!!

However, we don't seem to have natural disasters here.  If we did, it would be great for business!

Who would pay you Mel?

Angry White Male

The Ministry, I suppose...  which would mean the taxpayer!

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"A short clip of Irma hitting Barbuda. The trees at the end are fearsome. Glad it is supposed to weaken some before getting to Florida. My heart goes out to the islands in the path.

">https://www.facebook.com/hmoyaduran/videos/1859485954092011/
I go to Florida every year. But, in  the winter though. Most newer buildings are designed with hurricanes  in mind.

Anonymous

I'm watching live coverage from Florida as that state braces for the full impact of this powerful hurricane.

RW

Poor souls.  May Mother Nature have mercy on them all.
Beware of Gaslighters!

cc

The West / Gulf side of state is in and in for more hell. The angle of approach is pretty much max for damage (wind and ocean surge) & still Cat 3

Now coming up on Ft Myers, Venice, Punta Gorda and  Sarasota where we lived for 3 yeas, ... then Braddenton and on to Tampa / Clearwater

Rode out one in Sarasota that was about 50 miles offshore so not max power but darn strong (and perfect angle for max surge) - it did flip our 27 ft Sport Fisherman as ropes were not long enough to handle the high water level so it tipped and filled with water as did many .. that was costly. That one beat up the long islands (keys) on the outside of the Intercoastal Waterway  .. Longboat Key opposite us and many other keys

This one is the monster from hell and so far right on the coast line. Dunno if keys will even remain at all nor how far the surge will go inland

Most all of Florida peninsula is so low lying and dead flat
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"The West / Gulf side of state is in and in for more hell. The angle of approach is pretty much max for damage (wind and ocean surge) & still Cat 3

Now coming up on Ft Myers, Venice, Punta Gorda and  Sarasota where we lived for 3 yeas, ... then Braddenton and on to Tampa / Clearwater

Rode out one in Sarasota that was about 50 miles offshore so not max power but darn strong (and perfect angle for max surge) - it did flip our 27 ft Sport Fisherman as ropes were not long enough to handle the high water level so it tipped and filled with water as did many .. that was costly. That one beat up the long islands (keys) on the outside of the Intercoastal Waterway  .. Longboat Key opposite us and many other keys

This one is the monster from hell and so far right on the coast line. Dunno if keys will even remain at all

Most all of Florida peninsula is so low lying and dead flat

Meteorologists predicted the Atlantic side of Florida would suffer the worst wrath of Irma..

But, it's the Gulf side that will be hit the hardest.

cc

Yes. It stuck along the mountains of Cuba for longer than Meteorologists expected and did the turn later than previously expected to line up with the Gulf coast ... picking up heat and power from 90 degree waters once it turned north

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Yes. It stuck along the mountains of Cuba for longer than Meteorologists expected and did the turn later than previously expected to line up with the Gulf coast ... picking up heat and power from 90 degree waters once it turned north

That is frightening experience leaving your house behind to escape a natural disaster..

It was hard for us to abandon our home during the Southern Alberta flood.

Anonymous

I have thought about buying property in Florida. Hurricanes were the reason I decided against it.

Anonymous

ampa and the surrounding area, whose population is about four million, is not prepared for a storm of this magnitude. Too many homes and businesses are too close to the water, and coastal defenses are too few, for catastrophic damage to be avoided.

cc

Yes. Tampa could be very bad depending on the strength when it gets there

I wonder if Naples still exists - it caught cat 3 dead on

Quote from: "seoulbro"I have thought about buying property in Florida. Hurricanes were the reason I decided against it.

Also tornadoes are very frequent.

As long as you don't try to find your balls in the waterholes you are prolly good to go   ... sorry, that didn't come out the way I intended :wink: