News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Why are Truck Drivers often portrayed as Psychos in the Movies?

Started by JOE, September 06, 2017, 01:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
As long as they don't portray locomotive engineers as psychos, I don't care.

Usually the train operator is portrayed as looking nearly asleep, then suddenly startled upon seeing someone/something on the tracks lol  :laugh:

If I learned anything from them movies, is that y'all need a special coffee pot built into that thing as you're going down the tracks  :roll:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"

Usually the train operator is portrayed as looking nearly asleep, then suddenly startled upon seeing someone/something on the tracks lol  :laugh:

If I learned anything from them movies, is that y'all need a special coffee pot built into that thing as you're going down the tracks  :roll:

We have a coffee pot/kettle, fridge, microwave, air con, toilet and air ride seats inside the cabs of road locomotives.

Angry White Male

It's easy for movies to make this work, from the viewpoint of the general public not really being able to even see who's driving.

Duel utilized this.  You couldn't see the driver...  that was paramount to make that movie work.

Also, big trucks are intimidating.   Well, not so much the new ones, but the old ones (like mine), are fairly intimidating, with hoods that are over seven feet tall...  Trucks can do a lot of damage.

And of course, the highway cowboys of old...  The meth snorting, prostitute killing trucker may have existed, but they were rare then, and even rarer now.  Don't forget how many people are employed in this industry.

Then again, it only took one clown...  John Wayne Gacy clown, for Stephen King to pick up on that, and ever since Gacy/King, clowns are 'questionable' now also!

Hollywood is what it is!  It's not hard to build up a stereotype, for the masses, from something that many people may not know much about.

Anonymous

We have a coffee pot/kettle, fridge, microwave, air con, toilet and air ride seats inside the cabs of road locomotives.

So, they are comfortable.

What is a road locomotive?

cc

Quote from: "Mel"It's easy for movies to make this work, from the viewpoint of the general public not really being able to even see who's driving.

Duel utilized this.  You couldn't see the driver...  that was paramount to make that movie work.

Also, big trucks are intimidating.   Well, not so much the new ones, but the old ones (like mine), are fairly intimidating, with hoods that are over seven feet tall...  Trucks can do a lot of damage.

And of course, the highway cowboys of old...  The meth snorting, prostitute killing trucker may have existed, but they were rare then, and even rarer now.  Don't forget how many people are employed in this industry.

Then again, it only took one clown...  John Wayne Gacy clown, for Stephen King to pick up on that, and ever since Gacy/King, clowns are 'questionable' now also!

Hollywood is what it is!  It's not hard to build up a stereotype, for the masses, from something that many people may not know much about.

Good post Mel

While not normally a Weaver fan I found Duel extremely chilling and powerful. The relentless way the trucker just would not quit trying to kill the guy, I can see how some lazy thinkers  who never lived in a real world might create a stereotype  in their minds
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Harry

Quote from: "Angry White Male"...clowns are 'questionable' now also!

Forget Stephen King...

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSufrWXQSxg

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3JdyKaxdWg

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

So, they are comfortable.

What is a road locomotive?

The newer ones are pretty good. Smaller yard switchers, not so much. But, the hogger is only in that a max of 8 hours. That is if they are not beltpack equipped.

Blurt

Quote from: "Harry"

Forget Stephen King...

Forget Rob Zombie...

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrFl800iYWI
Aimin\' to misbehave.

Harry

Quote from: "Blurt"
Quote from: "Harry"

Forget Stephen King...

Forget Rob Zombie... :thumbup:

Angry White Male

Quote from: "cc"While not normally a Weaver fan I found Duel extremely chilling and powerful. The relentless way the trucker just would not quit trying to kill the guy, I can see how some lazy thinkers  who never lived in a real world might create a stereotype  in their minds

It makes for a good movie.

Honestly, we're paid to do a certain job, and that's NOT to kill Weaver.

That being said, I have come close to initiating road rage incidents with people...  I have fucking HAD IT with many of these fucking idiots here.

I have left my cab, and have walked up to cars a few times...  They sped off.  I was ready to put my fucking fist through their window, and they knew it.

I am not some fucking Paki that you can fuck around with...  And when they find that out, they leave in a hurry.

I can see truckers getting mean.  I used to be nice in my rig, but now I'm willing and able to not be so nice to you.

It shouldn't be this way...

However, I can understand both sides...  Here, EI's have taken over the industry, and they are pretty much useless at everything.

The general public expects EI's, which is sad.

THIS is why I get work...  I perform the job, and I perform it properly.

EI's fuck around...  That's ALL they do.  They drive 70 in the 100, if paid hourly...  They drive 160 if paid per trip, and blow all red lights.

EI's make it a fucking MISSION to fuck around, every chance they get.

It is their culture.

THIS is why I get work, as a White man in an EI infested industry...  The customers request me.

Angry White Male

I am a minority where I work...

Soon all the white guys will finally be gone from Vancouver.

Real Woman would love this, but here's the problem...  She HERSELF moved away from here, due to immigrants increasing the costs of housing, and lowering the standards enough, for her to feel the need to move far away.

Harry

Quote from: "Angry White Male"

That being said, I have come close to initiating road rage incidents with people...  I have fucking HAD IT with many of these fucking idiots here.

I have left my cab, and have walked up to cars a few times...  They sped off.  I was ready to put my fucking fist through their window, and they knew it.

If you want to get away from people, and still do your job, there are options available in more remote locations.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb5d6ISHoMU

I'd be pretty sure that Canada would have some wide open spaces too...?

Print
User actions