News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Turning left at a traffic light controlled intersection...

Started by Angry White Male, September 23, 2017, 02:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

...when it turns yellow.  THIS is one of the most problematic scenarios that I see during my very pleasant 10 hour daily drives all throughout Greater Van.

Also, THIS is when typically the most serious accidents happen.  I watched a dude on a motorcycle fly 90 feet through the air, in such a circumstance.  ICBC has asked me for my version of this event multiple times, since I was the only third party witness.

So, I will explain to you how this works, and you shall listen to my words.  This follows British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act Regs, and most likely the rest of Canada and North America also (excepting Quebec probably, but they probably should have left when they threatened to also)...

The light turns green, so you pull into the intersection, NOT blocking the crosswalk.  If you cannot clear the crosswalk, do not enter the intersection...  You NOW have the RIGHT OF WAY of the intersection, for ALL but oncoming traffic.

All is well, and we all know this is how it's done.

THE LIGHT TURNS YELLOW!  Now you're stuck in the intersection!  You've gotta move, right?  WRONG!  You still own that entire intersection, except for oncoming traffic.

THE LIGHT TURNS RED!  Doesn't matter.  If you are in the intersection, you still have right of way.  In fact, now that oncoming traffic has a RED, you truly DO own the intersection.  Even if other street now gets the green, they MUST yield to any vehicle that remains in the intersection.  They MUST yield to YOU!

This allows you to complete your turn.

Do NOT rush the Yellow, and know that if people race the yellow going through, you must let them...

In the end, you have full clearance to remain in that intersection, even if the light turns red, waiting for a safe time to complete left turn.

BC Motor Vehicle Act stipulates that all drivers must then yield to allow the vehicle in the intersection to complete the turn, regardless of who has red or green.

Berry Sweet

It does make sense.  There is not always a flashing arrow in busy areas, you have no choice but to go into the intersection or else you will NEVER get a chance to turn...it clogs traffic....fuckin cars...and pedestrians.

Anonymous

I agree,  too many people don't know what to do with  an amber light. Of course, as  a superior Chink driver I know exactly what safe course of action to take.

Couch Potato

Most accidents happen at intersections. Not knowing who has right of way is the primary reason.

Wazzzup

I always make sure oncoming traffic is stopped or going to stop before I make that turn.

One time I was making a left turn and I got hit by someone coming in after the red. luckily there was a witness who told the cop what happened.  If not for that, it would have been my word against theirs and impossible to prove who is right.

Couch Potato

Quote from: "Wazzzup"I always make sure oncoming traffic is stopped or going to stop before I make that turn.

One time I was making a left turn and I got hit by someone coming in after the red. luckily there was a witness who told the cop what happened.  If not for that, it would have been my word against theirs and impossible to prove who is right.

And without her word it would have been  your fault when you turn left.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Couch Potato"
Quote from: "Wazzzup"I always make sure oncoming traffic is stopped or going to stop before I make that turn.

That's right.  That's why its good to be extra cautious when making that turn.

Couch Potato

Quote from: "Wazzzup"
Quote from: "Couch Potato"

That's right.  That's why its good to be extra cautious when making that turn.

It's no time for distractions.