Sure is wet in Vancouver!

Started by Superchecker, November 21, 2017, 05:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Herman"
Business going to close? Have thought about a new line of work?

If you had your class one license, first aid and possibly an H2S Alive locomotive and were  prepared to move, you could get a eight grand first year job in North Dakota.

Its starting to look that way. I have no idea what line of work to get into next.

Although Herman lives in Canada,  he has worked in the American oilpatch..

Perhaps he or someone else here can offer some helpful advice for your next job.

Right on.

I use to deliver pizzas for 10 years and that use to be good money. Did everything there. They killed it for the driver though when they started charging a delivery fee.

Drove a cab for a year, thought of Uber but this area is not good I've heard, and I would need a different vehicle than a Jeep lol.

I've done graphic design for 13 years. Worked for and advertising agency for 4 years, then did 1 year on my own plus for a few years til this year when the client got bought out overseas. Been at the printing company the past 8 years and run the high end digital press besides a lot of the other stuff there. Printing is dying everywhere the way I hear it. No one is ever hiring designers either around here.

Other than that, I've done a hodge podge of jobs. I learn quickly at whatever I do.

I hate trying to find a new job lol. Its so discouraging. Its not an employee's market around here.

Shen Li has a lot of contacts too..

I know she gave some helpful advice to Weebles when he made a career change..

Don't be afraid to ask her..

Despite her harsh tone, she actually likes being helpful as most Chinese do.

Blazor

I would say domo arigoto (spelling?) but thats Japanese  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Aryan

Quote from: "SCOUSE"
Quote from: "SCOUSE"Yeah Chrimbo is good, but I hate all this dark, wet and cold weather.

Bone chilling cold and heavy snowfalls are not my favourite weather either..

But, that is what is called a first world problem.

Not if you're homeless and outside in it, I'd call that a very real problem!

You are so right SCOUSE..

The Lord has blessed me in many ways, including a warm, comfortable house more than spacious enough for my family.

And ace e-friends like myself to talk to.   ac_biggrin

Blazor

And ace e-friends like myself to talk to.   ac_biggrin

ac_drinks

Zetsu

So glad I dun live in Vancouver, would be a pain having to dry my car clean every couple days, lol.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

I would say domo arigoto (spelling?) but thats Japanese  :laugh:

Say xiè xie.

Blazor

Say xiè xie.

Do you pronounce it like z-eye zee?

Anonymous

Say xiè xie.

Do you pronounce it like z-eye zee?

">

Bricktop

Business going to close? Have thought about a new line of work?

If you had your class one license, first aid and possibly an H2S Alive locomotive and were  prepared to move, you could get a eight grand first year job in North Dakota.

Its starting to look that way. I have no idea what line of work to get into next.

Although Herman lives in Canada,  he has worked in the American oilpatch..

Perhaps he or someone else here can offer some helpful advice for your next job.

Right on.

I use to deliver pizzas for 10 years and that use to be good money. Did everything there. They killed it for the driver though when they started charging a delivery fee.

Drove a cab for a year, thought of Uber but this area is not good I've heard, and I would need a different vehicle than a Jeep lol.

I've done graphic design for 13 years. Worked for and advertising agency for 4 years, then did 1 year on my own plus for a few years til this year when the client got bought out overseas. Been at the printing company the past 8 years and run the high end digital press besides a lot of the other stuff there. Printing is dying everywhere the way I hear it. No one is ever hiring designers either around here.

Other than that, I've done a hodge podge of jobs. I learn quickly at whatever I do.

I hate trying to find a new job lol. Its so discouraging. Its not an employee's market around here.

Same thing is happening here. Design and printing is no longer the solid industry it used to be. I was in "the trade" for 5 years or so, and could see its demise coming.

I know a lot of graphic designers and printers who now drive cabs or wash cars.

Bricktop

Quote from: "SCOUSE"Yeah Chrimbo is good, but I hate all this dark, wet and cold weather.

Bone chilling cold and heavy snowfalls are not my favourite weather either..

But, that is what is called a first world problem.

Not if you're homeless and outside in it, I'd call that a very real problem!

What do scousers call someone living rough in a cardboard box?

Toff.

ac_lmfao

Blazor

Say xiè xie.

Ah ok, so more with an S. Seems like a cross between see and say.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"

Same thing is happening here. Design and printing is no longer the solid industry it used to be. I was in "the trade" for 5 years or so, and could see its demise coming.

Damn, thats a shame. I guess if I wanna keep designing I need to get back into the web end. Thats what my brother recommended and its what I started off as but moved into the printing end. I know there is a ton of designer jobs in Seattle though, where my brother is.

Anonymous

Damn, thats a shame. I guess if I wanna keep designing I need to get back into the web end. Thats what my brother recommended and its what I started off as but moved into the printing end. I know there is a ton of designer jobs in Seattle though, where my brother is.

If that doesn't work out, you should get your class one and head to North Dakota.

What is the pay range for web designers? I don't know jack about it.

Blazor

If that doesn't work out, you should get your class one and head to North Dakota.

Right on.

It depends, but in Seattle I was seeing around 80k a year. Seems entry level design work is around 60k there.

Just for the design portion in this area, starting out is suppose to be $18hr, and that was 8 years ago.

Im behind the learning curve on web right now. Ever since the smartphone boom lol. You have to design a version of the website for mobile use too now.

Anonymous

My husband's company may move their Calgary shop there.