Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Working Christmas day

Started by Superchecker, November 27, 2017, 05:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superchecker

Well gang, picked my shifts from mid Dec thru mid April. I prefer Fri-Sat off.

Christmas is a Monday, and we earn a days pay for the stat plus double time for any shift we actually work.

I chose a highway run, 5:50am to 14:10, which comes out as 8 hours and 20 minutes, plus travel time= 8 hours and 30 minutes, at double time = 17 hours for the shift, plus a days pay for the stat= 24.5 hours pay!! Ca-ching!! That's like $750!!

Picked a slightly shorter shift for Boxing Day, and New Years day...

Any thoughts about working Christmas, or any stat holiday?
<t></t>

Anonymous

Quote from: "Superchecker"Well gang, picked my shifts from mid Dec thru mid April. I prefer Fri-Sat off.

Christmas is a Monday, and we earn a days pay for the stat plus double time for any shift we actually work.

I chose a highway run, 5:50am to 14:10, which comes out as 8 hours and 20 minutes, plus travel time= 8 hours and 30 minutes, at double time = 17 hours for the shift, plus a days pay for the stat= 24.5 hours pay!! Ca-ching!! That's like $750!!

It's not an option for either my husband nor I  Superchecker..

Even if either of us could work Christmas Day, I know I wouldn't..

My husband might though....he's a shop manager and on a salary plus bonus.

Superchecker

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Superchecker"Well gang, picked my shifts from mid Dec thru mid April. I prefer Fri-Sat off.

It's not an option for either my husband nor I  Superchecker..

Even if either of us could work Christmas Day, I know I wouldn't..

My husband might though....he's a shop manager and on a salary plus bonus.

I get that, family time is more important than money.

We don't have kids, and both our parents are gone now, so earning $$$ is a great option for me. Earn $220 to not work, or $750 if you work is a no brain'er to me.

Plus, I'm home in time for the big feast.
<t></t>

Anonymous

I have Christmas day a hell of a lot of times. When I was an overseas driller, toolpush and wellsite supervisor, I was on a 28 on, 28 off rotation. My days on often coincided with Christmas. No biggie for me.

Anonymous

We don't run trains from 23:59 Christmas eve to 00:01 December 26.

Bricktop

Ex cop. Working Xmas and Easter was SOP unless you were lucky and scored an RDO on the 25th.

Anonymous

I'm winding down my working life. But, I never worked a December 25 in my life. My husband did when he was young.

Anonymous

The Iron Chink has never worked an X-mas and never will. However, my husband does some years.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Ex cop. Working Xmas and Easter was SOP unless you were lucky and scored an RDO on the 25th.

Cops are shift workers. All emergency services are.