The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Santa's Here - Form an orderly queue.

Started by Bricktop, November 27, 2017, 06:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Zetsu"[

You raise a good point about driving ranges for electric vehicles..

I did a search and discovered this,

Looking back at nearly 2,700 miles of all-electric motoring, the longest distance we saw on a full charge was 108 miles—and at that point the trip computer still anticipated 3 miles remaining (the turtle symbol had illuminated in the gauge cluster and the drivetrain was severely limiting power at that point).

We reached this top end for driving range, of around 110 miles, at least two other times—when we'd used the climate control lightly, and driven carefully at city speeds.

The lowest range we saw when waiting as long as we comfortably could before plugging back in was 58 miles—during a cold snap just below 30 degrees F, with the heat and heated seats on, with most of the charge spent on the highway, at around 70 mph.

This is not on the latest e-Gulf model,  but you get the idea..

I read the new Altima gets about 920 kilometres on a single tank of gasoline..

That's hard to believe.

The range of EVs are problem, but think this is VW's first electric car so it's not surprising.  The new ID series should have a range of at least 300 miles based on EPA standards and 250h-310 horse power coming in 2020.  But 920km for the new Altima, looks like gas cars are upping it another level, which is always nice to see, the last thing we need is a stale and stagnant economy/market.

It's more expensive than the e-Golf..

And I tend to agree with Seoul those ranges are skewed towards best condition test scenarios.

But isn't Nissan Altima starting at 26000CAD?  Unless you take in the EV tax rebate then yea egolf will be a cheaper to purchase.  The EPA testing I wouldn't say their ideal, 15 years ago they were pretty loose but now they've been increasing the standards for gas and EVs.  It really depends on the driving style, in city tests like the NEDC an egolf would get about 300km, while on highway due to air resistance they get about 200km only.

I believe it is about that price..

But, an e-Golf would only go about 120 kilometres in one of our cold snaps in Calgary..

We were not even considering a full EV..

We would consider a hybrid Malibu.

Zetsu

Quote from: "seoulbro"

You raise a good point about driving ranges for electric vehicles..

I did a search and discovered this,

Looking back at nearly 2,700 miles of all-electric motoring, the longest distance we saw on a full charge was 108 miles—and at that point the trip computer still anticipated 3 miles remaining (the turtle symbol had illuminated in the gauge cluster and the drivetrain was severely limiting power at that point).

We reached this top end for driving range, of around 110 miles, at least two other times—when we'd used the climate control lightly, and driven carefully at city speeds.

The lowest range we saw when waiting as long as we comfortably could before plugging back in was 58 miles—during a cold snap just below 30 degrees F, with the heat and heated seats on, with most of the charge spent on the highway, at around 70 mph.

This is not on the latest e-Gulf model,  but you get the idea..

I read the new Altima gets about 920 kilometres on a single tank of gasoline..

That's hard to believe.

The range of EVs are problem, but think this is VW's first electric car so it's not surprising.  The new ID series should have a range of at least 300 miles based on EPA standards and 250h-310 horse power coming in 2020.  But 920km for the new Altima, looks like gas cars are upping it another level, which is always nice to see, the last thing we need is a stale and stagnant economy/market.

It's more expensive than the e-Golf..

And I tend to agree with Seoul those ranges are skewed towards best condition test scenarios.

But isn't Nissan Altima starting at 26000CAD?  Unless you take in the EV tax rebate then yea egolf will be a cheaper to purchase.  The EPA testing I wouldn't say their ideal, 15 years ago they were pretty loose but now they've been increasing the standards for gas and EVs.  It really depends on the driving style, in city tests like the NEDC an egolf would get about 300km, while on highway due to air resistance they get about 200km only.

I believe it is about that price..

But, an e-Golf would only go about 120 kilometres in one of our cold snaps in Calgary..

We were not even considering a full EV..

We would consider a hybrid Malibu.

A hybrid sounds like a good choice or maybe a plug in hybrid just so you'd get the best of both EV and gas, I've driven a civic hybrid for years and have no regrets, just wish the initial purchase wasn't so expsensive.
Permanently off his rocker

Bricktop

That's something of a deception.

Take away the taxpayer funded rebates on this electric wunderkars, and they are much more expensive to buy. Just because the purchaser pays less, it doesn't always follow that the product is cheaper. This is the great confidence trick of "renewable" energy. Twice the price, half the efficiency.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

Take away the taxpayer funded rebates on this electric wunderkars, and they are much more expensive to buy. Just because the purchaser pays less, it doesn't always follow that the product is cheaper. This is the great confidence trick of "renewable" energy. Twice the price, half the efficiency.

I forget what state in US cancelled EV subsidies and sales plummeted overnight.

Zetsu

Yea I don't really like the idea of using tax payers money to subsidize for EV buyers, but then I wouldn't care if we get the tax rebate or not, considering my family and I have paid far more than our fair share of taxes in the past to level it wouldn't make much of a difference.  But then I like the idea of high performance and almost not having to pay for energy again, at least almost.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Shen Li"

I forget what state in US cancelled EV subsidies and sales plummeted overnight.

Think the US are plannng to cancel all tax credit in early 2018, which is good good sign, at least so I dun have to que in line, lol.

Anonymous

Yea I don't really like the idea of using tax payers money to subsidize for EV buyers, but then I wouldn't care if we get the tax rebate or not, considering my family and I have paid far more than our fair share of taxes in the past to level it wouldn't make much of a difference.  But then I like the idea of high performance and almost not having to pay for energy again, at least almost.

But, if all vehicles  were EV's governments would probably start taxing electricity especially for vehicles charged at night tp  make up for the loss in gasoline and diesel tax  revenue..

And that money helps subsidize some forms of power generation..

So, enjoy it while  you can because cheap electricity to power cars won't last.

Zetsu

But, if all vehicles  were EV's governments would probably start taxing electricity especially for vehicles charged at night tp  make up for the loss in gasoline and diesel tax  revenue..

And that money helps subsidize some forms of power generation..

So, enjoy it while  you can because cheap electricity to power cars won't last.

That's true, but even if they raise the electric cost by 100% it's still no more than $2 for every 100km, while my civic hybrid cost about $6 for every 100km and my brother's VW rabbit consume as much as $11 per 100km.

Anonymous

That's true, but even if they raise the electric cost by 100% it's still no more than $2 for every 100km, while my civic hybrid cost about $6 for every 100km and my brother's VW rabbit consume as much as $11 per 100km.

If they eliminated all taxes on fossil fuels and it only cost about 55 cents per litre and put it the taxes on cars that charge overnight it would not be cheaper to run a car a car that may only go 120 kms in non ideal conditions..

Take Seoul's Jetta, if it can go ten times further for about $28,  that would be impossible for electric to compete without subsidies from fossil fuels..

Electric cars are cheap to run because most cars are gas and diesel..

That would not be the case if all cars were electric.

Zetsu

If they eliminated all taxes on fossil fuels and it only cost about 55 cents per litre and put it the taxes on cars that charge overnight it would not be cheaper to run a car a car that may only go 120 kms in non ideal conditions..

Take Seoul's Jetta, if it can go ten times further for about $28,  that would be impossible for electric to compete without subsidies from fossil fuels..

Electric cars are cheap to run because most cars are gas and diesel..

That would not be the case if all cars were electric.

Hmm you do have a good point Fash, maybe I should spend some time thinking about it before trading my brother's VW rabbit or my civic hybrid for a model 3 or the egolf.

Anonymous

With so many subsidies keeping e-cars and electricity artificially cheap, it's a good time to purchase one..