Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

OK, Smith & Wesson Model 66...

Started by Angry White Male, December 21, 2017, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiebers

I never display them. No one needs to know what I have. In this day and age you have to be careful. I may have a trusted friend over and we will talk about them. The only thing I have displayed is my grandfathers sling shot. Its in a shadowbox over the fire place.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Angry White Male

I'm with Kiebers...  It's not something that you advertise to every house guest, depending on your situation.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"I never display them. No one needs to know what I have. In this day and age you have to be careful. I may have a trusted friend over and we will talk about them. The only thing I have displayed is my grandfathers sling shot. Its in a shadowbox over the fire place.

Makes sense.

Angry White Male

I have no kids, and very few visitors.  I can have a few guns around (legally kept, of course)...

It wouldn't matter how I kept them, to be honest...  I'm the only one that'll do any shooting.

Others have children, and this can lead to trouble.  Or a wife.  Or trashy friends.  Or...

Angry White Male

Actually, case law in Canada led to a stay of proceedings against a guy, that was found with a loaded pistol under his mattress.

Having a loaded pistol under your mattress is a No-No in Canada.

HOWEVER, the Judge had found that storage laws in Canada were scripted with the thought that people have family and friends over regularly, and as such a firearm should be safely secured.  THAT was the intention of these laws to begin with.

Dude in question was a shut-in.  He had NO visitors.  NO children.  Nobody.

Hence, the judge ruled that the intent of the storage laws did not apply to him, since the intent of the laws was not applicable to him in the first place.

CASE LAW.

Frood

Quote from: "Odinson"Depends on the use..

The parts do get worn down.

I know of someone who while visiting her grandparents at the homestead started digging in the garden. She was 5 or 6 at the time.

She dug deeper then they ever had and dragged out an original 44-40 from the 19th century. The stock was perished but they brought it to a gunsmith who took it apart and restored it back to firing and redid the wood.

They gave it to her on her 13th birthday and she dropped a 6 point buck with it the next year.

Not sure if he was able to save the barrel or he had to make a new one though.

Point is, some things are made so well that they can buried in the earth and brought back to life with a little tlc.
Blahhhhhh...

Odinson

Quote from: "kiebers"Nah, I have checked pricing off and on over the years.

Yeah, one would think they get more valuable with age but they dont..

Odinson

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"

I know of someone who while visiting her grandparents at the homestead started digging in the garden. She was 5 or 6 at the time.

She dug deeper then they ever had and dragged out an original 44-40 from the 19th century. The stock was perished but they brought it to a gunsmith who took it apart and restored it back to firing and redid the wood.

They gave it to her on her 13th birthday and she dropped a 6 point buck with it the next year.

Point is, some things are made so well that they can buried in the earth and brought back to life with a little tlc.

Its not about being well-made...

Depending on the soil, burying items into the ground preserves them...

No air can get to the gun if its buried in a swamp for example..

If you pull stuff out of a swamp, they are almost in mint condition.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "kiebers"I have a collection that I grew up with that I inherited. Spent a lot of hours on the range when I was young. We did all our own loading. Mainly sporting rifles and shotguns. The M1 is the only military weapon I own and I do not have a high capacity magazine like the newer firearms are using. It's been 40 years or more since I actually purchased a firearm.

This may seem like a dumb question, but it seems that firearms last forever without breaking down?

Yep...I have a few that range 100-150 years old and still function fine.

Have they been in your family that long Kiebs?

No, my dad got them in the 50's. Couple of muzzle loaders from the mid 1800's and a shot gun from 1875.

:ohmy:

Frood

Quote from: "Odinson"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"

Its not about being well-made...

Depending on the soil, burying items into the ground preserves them...

No air can get to the gun if its buried in a swamp for example..

If you pull stuff out of a swamp, they are almost in mint condition.

No, Odi, just no.

Most alloys suffer in swamps, bodies of water, or buried in moisture.
Blahhhhhh...