Total votes: : 3

Last post: July 02, 2024, 02:46:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

cultural differences between my daughter and I

Started by Anonymous, December 23, 2017, 12:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I see it more as she turns into a young lady(she's sixteen)..

I don't mean just the physical as it's obvious that she is not pure East Asian, her father's DNA came through..

She has a Western independent streak..

I obeyed my parents without question and sought their guidance and  wisdom..

My daughter questions me and has her own plans for her own future..

My husband thinks it's natural, but he is a Dutch Canadian..

It's just so different to the way my  brother and I were raised in Taiwanese immigrant family.

Odinson

You would have been more independent if you grew up in west..

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"You would have been more independent if you grew up in west..

I shouldn't really be surprised..

She's a beautiful young lady and both the physical and cultural Caucasian traits have come out in her.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Odinson"You would have been more independent if you grew up in west..

I shouldn't really be surprised..

She's a beautiful young lady and both the physical and cultural Caucasian traits have come out in her.

You grew up in Taiwan?

Mixed caucasian and asian women look good..

Wazzzup

Aide from the cultural issues--

Other than from 0 to 3, the teenage years can be the toughest for any parent, I have a 19 yo and a 14 yo and like most teenagers they want their independence, and their own identities, its fine most of the time, but it can lead to friction at times too.  

there may even be some natural slection involved. no matter how much kids like their parents they need to seperate themselves from being dependent on them, so they can go out and succeed in the world.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"Aide from the cultural issues--

Other than from 0 to 3, the teenage years can be the toughest for any parent, I have a 19 yo and a 14 yo and like most teenagers they want their independence, and their own identities, its fine most of the time, but it can lead to friction at times too.  

there may even be some natural slection involved. no matter how much kids like their parents they need to seperate themselves from being dependent on them, so they can go out and succeed in the world.

I didn't want my independence when I was sixteen Wazzzup..

I didn't need to separate myself from being dependent on my parents..

I sought their direction..

It's seems  this is more cultural than  a natural progression.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I see it more as she turns into a young lady(she's sixteen)..

I don't mean just the physical as it's obvious that she is not pure East Asian, her father's DNA came through..

She has a Western independent streak..

I obeyed my parents without question and sought their guidance and  wisdom..

My daughter questions me and has her own plans for her own future..

My husband thinks it's natural, but he is a Dutch Canadian..

It's just so different to the way my  brother and I were raised in Taiwanese immigrant family.

You should speak with my eldest sister. She is married to a Caucasian and has the same issues with her kids.

Frood

Independence is all you think about when you're starting out as a teenager. Depending on your parents isn't considered healthy even by many parents.
Blahhhhhh...

Wazzzup

Well in Taiwan (that's where you're from right?) its not natural to rebel against ones parents, but in Canada it is probably natural to rebel a bit.  It may even be healthy in the long run, she is less likely to want to live at home in her twenties like a lot (too many) western children do these days, and being a bit more aggressive and independent may serve her well in the working world.

As long as she isnt acting out through drugs, drinking, or promiscuity, everything will probably work itself out for the best.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"

Well in Taiwan (that's where you're from right?) its not natural to rebel against ones parents, but in Canada it is probably natural to rebel a bit.  It may even be healthy in the long run, she is less likely to want to live at home in her twenties like a lot (too many) western children do these days, and being a bit more aggressive and independent may serve her well in the working world.

As long as she isnt acting out through drugs, drinking, or promiscuity, everything will probably work itself out for the best.

Yes, I'm from Taiwan..

Perhaps, you are right Wazzzup..

She's not a Taiwanese young lady, she's a Western young lady, both in appearance and socialization..

My husband who is Caucasian encourages her independent streak, so I shouldn't be surprised that's how she is developing..

I'm  not necessarily unhappy about this, but it very different from my relationship with my parents when I was sixteen.

Odinson

Wazzzup

Yes, I'm from Taiwan..

Perhaps, you are right Wazzzup..

She's not a Taiwanese young lady, she's a Western young lady, both in appearance and socialization..

My husband who is Caucasian encourages her independent streak, so I shouldn't be surprised that's how she is developing..

I'm  not necessarily unhappy about this, but it very different from my relationship with my parents when I was sixteen.

So in Taiwan, if teenagers don't feel like they want their independence, how do parents get them out of the house when its time?

Anonymous

So in Taiwan, if teenagers don't feel like they want their independence, how do parents get them out of the house when its time?

They get married..

Much like Japan and Korea, it's not uncommon for people to  live with their parents into their thirties nowadays..

It was different a generation ago when Taiwanese married younger..

They are usually well educated, have good jobs, lots of  disposable income(thanks to their parents paying all their living expenses), travel the world and buy the latest fashions..

What's funny, is they think they are independent because they are not tied down to a spouse and children.

:laugh:

@realAzhyaAryola

My sons are half caucasoid and half mongoloid and they are just fine, if I may say so. The girls, my goodness, they want to sleep over and such. Incredible. I'm happy to say my sons are proud of both their Filipino roots and their Viking roots.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"My sons are half caucasoid and half mongoloid and they are just fine, if I may say so. The girls, my goodness, they want to sleep over and such. Incredible. I'm happy to say my sons are proud of both their Filipino roots and their Viking roots.

Azhya, how nice to see you and Merry Christmas..

ac_smile

Yes, Filipinos tend to adapt to be closer to Western cultural norms than Taiwanese.