Total votes: : 3

Last post: July 02, 2024, 02:46:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

cultural differences between my daughter and I

Started by Anonymous, December 23, 2017, 12:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I see it more as she turns into a young lady(she's sixteen)..

I don't mean just the physical as it's obvious that she is not pure East Asian, her father's DNA came through..

She has a Western independent streak..

I obeyed my parents without question and sought their guidance and  wisdom..

My daughter questions me and has her own plans for her own future..

My husband thinks it's natural, but he is a Dutch Canadian..

It's just so different to the way my  brother and I were raised in Taiwanese immigrant family.

You married a laowai. The Chink link has been broken. You knew you can't expect to build an East Asian kid out of only half the ingredients.

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

My grandmother used to call people she deemed were unappealing as "laowai."
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Same to you, Fash.

:nhl_checking:  :2cdfr50_th:  :madserb:  :t4521:

You have a merry one AA. :3og2y8p:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"My grandmother used to call people she deemed were unappealing as "laowai."

Was she Chinese? It's a slang word for foreigner in our language.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Shen Li"
You have a merry one AA. :3og2y8p:

You too, Shen! :nhl_checking:  :t4204:  :wootsmiley:  ac_drinks
@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"My grandmother used to call people she deemed were unappealing as "laowai."

Her mother's side was.
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

You married a laowai. The Chink link has been broken. You knew you can't expect to build an East Asian kid out of only half the ingredients.

I think may have given the wrong impression..

I'm not worried about my daughter being more independent than I was at her age..

All I'm saying is that it is different than my relationship with my parents..

It's just a cultural difference between my daughter and I.

Frood

I don't know how it's spelled phonetically but I've heard Chinese say ad da lia laow which is Australian undesirable versus ad da lia yen which is just Australian person.

I know how to say very few things in Mandarin, da beetz.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

The first one is off, but the second is pretty close with the pinyin.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I think may have given the wrong impression..

I'm not worried about my daughter being more independent than I was at her age..

All I'm saying is that it is different than my relationship with my parents..

It's just a cultural difference between my daughter and I.

It seems perfectly normal to me.

Frood

I learned from conversation not the written word. I've been told that my accentuation sounds almost mainland local.

Unfortunately I've forgotten most of it and can only say about a dozen things.
Blahhhhhh...

Angry White Male

She's 16, so right now she'll probably do what she wants anyhow, whether you like it or not.

She'll eventually go one of two ways...  Becoming successful at something that SHE likes, or meeting a loser, popping out a kid, and living on welfare for the rest of her life.

Understand, Fash, that what she does, is not so dependent on her upbringing...  It's dependent on her genes.  Her DNA.

Her DNA will determine her path in life more than anything you could have done.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"She's 16, so right now she'll probably do what she wants anyhow, whether you like it or not.

She'll eventually go one of two ways...  Becoming successful at something that SHE likes, or meeting a loser, popping out a kid, and living on welfare for the rest of her life.

Understand, Fash, that what she does, is not so dependent on her upbringing...  It's dependent on her genes.  Her DNA.

Her DNA will determine her path in life more than anything you could have done.

We've been through the nature vs nurture debate before.

Angry White Male

I'm telling you what she'll do.

There's no debate.

You can send her to China for a "vacation," in an attempt to fix the problem (I know how that works, trust me), but you'd be wasting your time.