The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Health'Matters

Started by Securious, October 14, 2012, 09:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Doctors recommend a daily low dosage of ASA for heart health.
Quote from: "Securious"History of aspirin[/b] ...WIKI [not the greatest testimony mind, but suffices here]

1923 Plant extracts, including willow bark and spiraea, of which salicylic acid was the active ingredient, had been known to help alleviate headaches, pains, and fevers since antiquity. The father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, who lived sometime between 460 BC and 377 BC, left historical records describing the use of powder made from the bark and leaves of the willow tree to help these symptoms.[160]

A French chemist, Charles Frederic Gerhardt, was the first to prepare acetylsalicylic acid in 1853. In the course of his work on the synthesis and properties of various acid anhydrides, he mixed acetyl chloride with a sodium salt of salicylic acid (sodium salicylate). A vigorous reaction ensued, and the resulting melt soon solidified.[161] Since no structural theory existed at that time, Gerhardt called the compound he obtained "salicylic-acetic anhydride" (wasserfreie Salicylsäure-Essigsäure). This preparation of aspirin ("salicylic-acetic anhydride") was one of the many reactions Gerhardt conducted for his paper on anhydrides and he did not pursue it further.

Advertisement for Aspirin, Heroin, Lycetol, and SalophenSix years later, in 1859, von Gilm obtained analytically pure acetylsalicylic acid (which he called acetylierte Salicylsäure, acetylated salicylic acid) by a reaction of salicylic acid and acetyl chloride.[162] In 1869, Schröder, Prinzhorn and Kraut repeated both Gerhardt's (from sodium salicylate) and von Gilm's (from salicylic acid) syntheses and concluded both reactions gave the same compound—acetylsalicylic acid. They were first to assign to it the correct structure with the acetyl group connected to the phenolic oxygen.[163]

In 1897, chemists working at Bayer AG produced a synthetically altered version of salicin, derived from the species Filipendula ulmaria (meadosweet), which caused less digestive upset than pure salicylic acid. The identity of the lead chemist on this project is a matter of controversy. Bayer states the work was done by Felix Hoffmann, but the Jewish chemist Arthur Eichengrün later claimed he was the lead investigator and records of his contribution were expunged under the Nazi regime.[164][165] The new drug, formally acetylsalicylic acid, was named Aspirin by Bayer AG after the old botanical name for meadowsweet, Spiraea ulmaria. By 1899, Bayer was selling it around the world.[166] The name Aspirin is derived from "acetyl" and Spirsäure, an old German name for salicylic acid.[167] The popularity of aspirin grew over the first half of the 20th century, spurred by its supposed effectiveness in the wake of the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918. However, recent research suggests the high death toll of the 1918 flu was partly due to aspirin, as the doses used at times can lead to toxicity, fluid in the lungs, and, in some cases, contribute to secondary bacterial infections and mortality.[168] Aspirin's profitability led to fierce competition and the proliferation of aspirin brands and products, especially after the American patent held by Bayer expired in 1917.[169][170]

The popularity of aspirin declined after the market releases of paracetamol (acetaminophen) in 1956 and ibuprofen in 1969.[171] In the 1960s and 1970s, John Vane and others discovered the basic mechanism of aspirin's effects, while clinical trials and other studies from the 1960s to the 1980s established aspirin's efficacy as an anticlotting agent that reduces the risk of clotting diseases.[172] Aspirin sales revived considerably in the last decades of the 20th century, and remain strong in the 21st century, because of its widespread use as a preventive treatment for heart attacks and strokes.[173]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there suggests a little conspiracy here..hmm

Why isnt there clear and uneqivical clarity who the real scientist was involved at the time in

re-discovering this potent cure-all, the one that the ancients knew of and used!!!!

Securious

The real Willow Bark treatment perhaps..not the current model

Securious

Did anyone rush out of the house screaming and pushing people out of the way to get in the front of the queue to get your seasonal flu shot? Were you proudly exclaiming, crowing that you got yours already. Well think again, you may have been given rotten crap, something else! A clotted white substance was found swimming in the serums in many batches from the drug company, Novartis.

Experts are saying they've seen this before and are assuring everyone that its safe, SAFE!!!???

When asked what it was they didn't know,,,but it's safe!

They are counting on you to be this stupid? Until they give the public an answer I don't think you need to rush down to your local and get  shot up w/crap or would you.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/saskatchewan-suspends-flu-shot-clinics-1.1013170">http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/saskatchew ... -1.1013170">http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/saskatchewan-suspends-flu-shot-clinics-1.1013170

Securious

Related Stories

•Two flu vaccines suspended pending review of particles floating inside

OTTAWA - Health Canada officials are still urging Canadians to get flu shot despite suspending two vaccines widely used across the country.

The federal agency pulled Agriflu and Fluad, manufactured in Italy by Novartis, after several European countries halted their use due to concerns over white floating material seen clumping inside.

The health agency said it has "rigourously reviewed" the two vaccines — which account for some 20% of Canada's supply — before authorizing them for use in Canada.

It also said clumping of the kind seen in Europe is common in vaccines.

But as a precaution, the agency said it has asked the drug maker to stop distributing the vaccines in Canada until a full review can be completed and recommended that health-care professionals stop using them in the meantime.

There have been no reports of serious or adverse affects with the vaccine, health officials said.

Paul Gully, a senior medical advisor with Health Canada, said Saturday the agency hopes to have cleared the vaccines for use by early next week to avoid too much disruption when it comes to Canadians having access to a flu shot.

On Friday, following Health Canada's announcement, Saskatchewan temporarily shut its public flu shot clinics because most of its stock is from Novartis.

P.E.I. and New Brunswick also almost exclusively depend on Fluad and Agriflu.

Gully said chief medical officers across Canada are looking at how long the suspension may last and how provinces can work together to fill supply gaps across jurisdictions in the case of a long interruption.

"Some provinces use 100% Novartis, some provinces use 80%, some provinces use 60%, and that's the challenge," Gully said, noting that the problem came to light as the flu vaccination season was ramping up, leaving provinces with little flexibility in their supplies.

In Ottawa, people lining up at the Holy Trinity Catholic High School for a shot were brushing off news of the two vaccine suspensions.

Among them was Penny Horeczy, who has faithfully gotten flu shots every season for more than a decade.

"It's a matter of numbers. I believe it strengthens my immune system," said Horeczy post-shot, who wasn't worried about the vaccine suspensions. "Everyone else has been sick and I've been able to avoid it. In this economy, who can afford to miss work?"

-- with files from Danielle Bell

Anonymous

Quote from: "Securious"The real Willow Bark treatment perhaps..not the current model

Could you please explain?

Anonymous

Have a mixture of lemon juice and honey when you are suffering from cold.

For tooth ache, keep a clove on the affected area.

Eat the powder of dried ginger and cumin with sugar for relief from cough.

Securious

Real Willow [ASA] is the natural cure not the synthetic version today

Securious

What's on your plate...

Securious

Anonymous

Quote from: "Securious"Real Willow [ASA] is the natural cure not the synthetic version today

Is Bayer synthetic?

That is what I keep in my medicine cabinet.

Securious

Securious

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Securious"Real Willow [ASA] is the natural cure not the synthetic version today

Is Bayer synthetic?

That is what I keep in my medicine cabinet.

the quick and simple answer is yes. Look up Willow Bark and [Asprin]..The ancients treatment using Willow. Why not have the purest form today? It's a cure-all thats why, good for what ails ya.

Anonymous

I received this in an email.

INSTANT NOODLES

Dear instant noodle lovers,

Make sure you break for at least 3 days after one session of instant

noodles before you eat your next packet! Please read the info shared

to me by a doctor. My family stopped eating instant noodles more than

5 years ago after hearing about the wax coating the noodles - the wax

is not just in the Styrofoam containers but it coats the noodles.

This is why the instant noodles do not stick to each other when

cooking.

If one were to examine the ordinary Chinese yellow noodles in the

market, one will notice that, in their uncooked state the noodles are

oily. This layer of oil prevents the noodles from sticking together.

Wanton noodles in their uncooked state have been dusted with flour to

prevent them sticking together. When the hawker cooks the noodles,

notice he cooks them in hot water and then rinses them in cold water

before cooking them in hot water again. This process is repeated

several times before the noodles are ready to be served. The cooking

and rinsing process prevents noodles from sticking together.

The hawker then "lowers the noodles in oil and sauce to prevent the

noodles from sticking if they are to be served dry. Cooking

instructions for spaghetti require oil or butter to be added in the

water when boiling the spaghetti to prevent the pasta from sticking

together. Othe rwise, one gets a big clump of spaghetti!

There was an SBC (now TCS) actor some years ago, who at a busy time

of his career had no time to cook, resorted to eating instant noodles

everyday. He got cancer later on. His doctor told him about the wax

in instant noodles. The doctor told him that our body will need up to

2 days to clear the wax. There was also an SIA steward who after

moving out from his mother's house into his own house, did not cook

but ate instant noodles almost every meal. He had cancer, and has

since died from it.

Nowadays the instant noodles are referred as "cancer noodles".

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"I received this in an email.

INSTANT NOODLES

Dear instant noodle lovers,

Make sure you break for at least 3 days after one session of instant

noodles before you eat your next packet! Please read the info shared

to me by a doctor. My family stopped eating instant noodles more than

5 years ago after hearing about the wax coating the noodles - the wax

is not just in the Styrofoam containers but it coats the noodles.

This is why the instant noodles do not stick to each other when

cooking.

If one were to examine the ordinary Chinese yellow noodles in the

market, one will notice that, in their uncooked state the noodles are

oily. This layer of oil prevents the noodles from sticking together.

Wanton noodles in their uncooked state have been dusted with flour to

prevent them sticking together. When the hawker cooks the noodles,

notice he cooks them in hot water and then rinses them in cold water

before cooking them in hot water again. This process is repeated

several times before the noodles are ready to be served. The cooking

and rinsing process prevents noodles from sticking together.

The hawker then "lowers the noodles in oil and sauce to prevent the

noodles from sticking if they are to be served dry. Cooking

instructions for spaghetti require oil or butter to be added in the

water when boiling the spaghetti to prevent the pasta from sticking

together. Othe rwise, one gets a big clump of spaghetti!

There was an SBC (now TCS) actor some years ago, who at a busy time

of his career had no time to cook, resorted to eating instant noodles

everyday. He got cancer later on. His doctor told him about the wax

in instant noodles. The doctor told him that our body will need up to

2 days to clear the wax. There was also an SIA steward who after

moving out from his mother's house into his own house, did not cook

but ate instant noodles almost every meal. He had cancer, and has

since died from it.

Nowadays the instant noodles are referred as "cancer noodles".

seriously.....we eat a lot of noodles for snacks.....spicy,black,vegetable, ramien...all kinds...

Anonymous

I limit the amount of heavily processed foods I buy when I go shopping.

My children are given healthier snacks like raisins, yoghurt, peanuts or almonds.

I also strictly ration their Halloween treats.