Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: Renee post_id=371910 time=1595117254 user_id=156
">

Blazor's kind of music.

Renee

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=371919 time=1595133547 user_id=3254

Blazor's kind of music.

The sentiment in that piece is very real in my family. My great grandparents and grandparents lived under the British occupation and the accompanying oppression and atrocities. There were family members on my fathers side that were in the Old IRA going all the way back to it's inception in 1919 and fought in the Irish War of Independence in 1921. Hate for the British was and still is very real thing on that side of my family.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: Renee post_id=371964 time=1595165587 user_id=156

Blazor's kind of music.

The sentiment in that piece is very real in my family. My great grandparents and grandparents lived under the British occupation and the accompanying oppression and atrocities. There were family members on my fathers side that were in the Old IRA going all the way back to it's inception in 1919 and fought in the Irish War of Independence in 1921. Hate for the British was and still is very real thing on that side of my family.

I thought the IRA was part of the Easter Rising of 1916?

Renee

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=371981 time=1595185662 user_id=3254
Quote from: Renee post_id=371964 time=1595165587 user_id=156

Blazor's kind of music.

I thought the IRA was part of the Easter Rising of 1916?

The offical formation is 1919 of what is known as the Old IRA.  The IRA as a lose band of paramilitary and gorilla fighters goes back well before 1919. The Easter uprising is just one of many skirmishes that were fought and took place for decades before the official formation of the IRA. The actual IRA was formed after the December 1918 election, when the Sinn Fein Party convened the 1st Dail and declared Irish Independence.

The Irish rebels that fought in the Easter Uprising of 1916 were a conglomeration of paramilitary units...among them were the Fianna Eireann, the Irish volunteers, and the Irish Citizens Army. I'm told there were relatives among some of those groups too. These groups would eventually come together to form the IRA.

That piece of music actually refers to the 1916 Easter Uprising when it mentions the 16 leaders of the uprising (heros) that the British executed.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

I didn't know that Renee..

But, this might come as a surprise to you, I'm not Irish..

:laugh:

I hope Blazor sees this......it's his kind of discussion topic.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=372016 time=1595219432 user_id=3254

:laugh: ......

Had me fooled
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=372021 time=1595220738 user_id=88
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=372016 time=1595219432 user_id=3254

:laugh: ......

Had me fooled

It's old Shen Li that is Irish, not Fash.

cc

Damn!!! I always get that  mixed up.  ac_blush

I mean, well they are both from the Irish part of Taiwan, right?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=372023 time=1595221105 user_id=88
Damn!!! I always get that  mixed up.  ac_blush

I mean, well they are both from the Irish part of Taiwan, right?

One is Northern Irish and the other is from the independent Irish republic of Taiwan.

Renee

Renee

Renee

Blazor

RENEE!!!!! You are playing the music of my people!!!  acc_hugz  :thumbup:  ac_drinks  ac_dance  :t4522:  :hapydancsmil:  :20iax5t_th:  :clapping:  :mrd0e1_th:

All the songs you posted over the last few days, I Jam those, a LOT lol. If you go through the St. Patricks thread or my Blazor thread, you will find those posted hahaha.

The only one I had not heard, was the last one you posted, the Rising of the Moon. I liked it! It had me whistling the tune and tapping my feet. The coffee flowing through my veins at this moment had me going a lil extra lol, Im sure my son is awake now hahaha.

:sm(38):  :35ivrxd:  :madserb:  :241:

Sadly I dont know a lot of Irish history, only a lil. So all that you posted about I enjoyed reading. I only knew some of that.

My family is Scots-Irish, of the Buchanan Clan. I've traced as far back as the late 1700's, but my dad thinks that was the guy who came over here, my great great great grandfather. My great great I can find info on, but barely any on the triple great lol. I have a pic of my great great on the wall, the one that fought in the Civil War for Virginia.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Renee

Quote from: Blazor post_id=372692 time=1595688473 user_id=2221
RENEE!!!!! You are playing the music of my people!!!  acc_hugz  :thumbup:  ac_drinks  ac_dance  :t4522:  :hapydancsmil:  :20iax5t_th:  :clapping:  :mrd0e1_th:

All the songs you posted over the last few days, I Jam those, a LOT lol. If you go through the St. Patricks thread or my Blazor thread, you will find those posted hahaha.

The only one I had not heard, was the last one you posted, the Rising of the Moon. I liked it! It had me whistling the tune and tapping my feet. The coffee flowing through my veins at this moment had me going a lil extra lol, Im sure my son is awake now hahaha.

Sadly I dont know a lot of Irish history, only a lil. So all that you posted about I enjoyed reading. I only knew some of that.

My family is Scots-Irish, of the Buchanan Clan. I've traced as far back as the late 1700's, but my dad thinks that was the guy who came over here, my great great great grandfather. My great great I can find info on, but barely any on the triple great lol. I have a pic of my great great on the wall, the one that fought in the Civil War for Virginia.

Glad you like it. I'll post some more when I get a chance.

Do you like the Clannad? Moya Brennen has a beautiful voice.

I'm half Irish on my father's side. My mom is New Jersey Italian but that is a whole nother story... My Grandparents came here right after WWII and settled in South Boston because they had family there and most of that side of the family is still living there. But I have had family on that side going back before the Civil War. I know some of my distant relatives were in the Massachusetts 28th and were attached to the 4th Regiment of the Irish Brigade. They fought at Antietam, The Wilderness, Chancellorsville, Fredricksburg, and Gettysburg,...You probably didn't want to hear that... :laugh3: Who knows, our relatives may have even shot at each other...  :confused1:

My dad is one of 5 childern and was the first in his immediate family to be born here. His two older brothers were born in Ireland and he has two younger sisters who were obviously born here as well.

I was raised pretty much as a typical Irish catholic except we ate a lot of Italian food... :laugh3: As kids my sister and I took at least 8 or 9 years of Irish dance lessons (I still hate that shit.. :laugh3: ) and me and my 2 sibs had to learn Gaelic so that we could impress our grandparents..

Blazor

Quote from: Renee post_id=372699 time=1595708747 user_id=156
Quote from: Blazor post_id=372692 time=1595688473 user_id=2221

Glad you like it. I'll post some more when I get a chance.

Do you like the Clannad? Moya Brennen has a beautiful voice.

I'm half Irish on my father's side. My mom is New Jersey Italian but that is a whole nother story... My Grandparents came here right after WWII and settled in South Boston because they had family there and most of that side of the family is still living there. But I have had family on that side going back before the Civil War. I know some of my distant relatives were in the Massachusetts 28th and were attached to the 4th Regiment of the Irish Brigade. They fought at Antietam, The Wilderness, Chancellorsville, Fredricksburg, and Gettysburg,...You probably didn't want to hear that... :laugh3: Who knows, our relatives may have even shot at each other...  :confused1:

My dad is one of 5 childern and was the first in his immediate family to be born here. His two older brothers were born in Ireland and he has two younger sisters who were obviously born here as well.

I was raised pretty much as a typical Irish catholic except we ate a lot of Italian food... :laugh3: As kids my sister and I took at least 8 or 9 years of Irish dance lessons (I still hate that shit.. :laugh3: ) and me and my 2 sibs had to learn Gaelic so that we could impress our grandparents..

Cant recall if I've heard Clannad.

Cool history!

Hahaha at them shootin' at each other lol. A lot of folks up North didnt want to fight the South. Do you know if they were enlisted or drafted?

Hahaha, sounds like my dad and my aunts and uncles when they were growing up, Irish Catholic and eating lots of Italian food lol. Wonder if my grandma was part Italian on that side lol.

Super cool on Irish dancing! Gaelic does sound cool. Before Corona I would go to Celtic Jam Sessions, and they would sing in Gaelic sometimes.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Print
User actions