Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

WHO - Violence against women worldwide is 'epidemic'

Started by cc, June 20, 2013, 05:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

I'm no fan of the UN in where politics is involved, but this is apolitical and seems WHO did a thorough clean job here.  

This is prolly no surprise to many, but it serves as confirmation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22975103">The report on partner and non-partner violence against women was released by the WHO, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC).

More than one in three women worldwide have experienced physical or sexual violence, a report by the World Health Organization and other groups says.

It says 38% of all women murdered were killed by their partners, and such violence is a major contributor to depression and other health problems.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68265000/jpg/_68265935_68265930.jpg">

WHO head Margaret Chan said violence against women was "a global health problem of epidemic proportions".

Its authors say it is the first systematic study of global data, detailing the impact of the abuse on both the physical and mental health of women and girls.

The key findings are:

- violence by an intimate partner is the most common type of abuse, affecting 30% of women across the globe

- 38% of all women murdered were killed by their partners

- 42% of women physically or sexually abused by partners had injuries as a result

- Victims of non-partner attacks were 2.6 times more likely to experience depression and anxiety compared with women who had not experienced violence

- Those abused by their partners were almost twice as likely to have similar problems

- Victims were more likely to have alcohol problems, abortions and acquire sexually transmitted diseases and HIV

"This new data shows that violence against women is extremely common," said report co-author Prof Charlotte Watts from the LSHTM.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Obvious Li

hi CC....not to derail your thread but i was just thinking when i read it......what do you suppose are the stats on violence against men world wide...i think about armies, mexican cartels, ethnic cleansing, muslim fundies........seems the risk of being male could be quite high.

cc

Good point. The stats would be very bad for males in many areas.

This study does not deal with males and Obviously, Li,  ;)  reflects the product of domestic abuse to a great extent.

So far as this issue alone, To be truly meaningful, a breakdown of countries and areas would be needed.

I'll see if I can find anything on that.

Further, as it is based on replies, there no doubt are many who either are "ashamed" to speak or "afraid" to speak. The totals could further be skewed by these factors being more pronounced within different cultures.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Thank you for posting that cc Li Tarte..

It is a very sad world we live in.