The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown resigns amid sexual misconduct allegations

Started by Anonymous, January 25, 2018, 01:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Who could replace Patrick Brown? A look at potential candidates to lead Ontario PCs

The abrupt resignation of Ontario's Opposition leader amid allegations of sexual misconduct has many speculating on who could take Patrick Brown's place and guide the Progressive Conservatives through an upcoming provincial election. Here is a glance at some potential successors.

CHRISTINE ELLIOTT

The woman who mounted the most formidable challenge to Brown as he sought the party leadership in the first place is seen by many as a logical choice to take his place. Elliott came in second during the 2015 leadership convention that saw Brown become leader. At the time, Elliott had served as an Ontario legislator for nine years for the riding of Whitby-Oshawa, the same riding previously held by her late husband Jim Flaherty before he went on to become federal finance minister.

Since July 1, 2016, Elliott has served as Ontario's first patient ombudsman fielding complaints about people's experience with the provinces' health care system. Elliott has not issued any statements about the Brown scandal or her future plans since his resignation was announced.

——–

LISA MACLEOD

The long-time Ontario politician has emerged over the years as a high-profile Progressive Conservative. MacLeod was first elected to the Ontario legislature in 2006 in the riding of Nepean-Carleton, a position she has held ever since. She mounted a bid for the PC party leadership, but withdrew a few months before the convention and threw her support behind Elliott.

MacLeod was one of the first party members to issue a statement when allegations against Brown first surfaced. "Every citizen of Ontario deserves respect," she said in a statement. "Everyone has the right to be free from unwelcome behaviour or advances. I do not and will not tolerate abuse or harassment, and I will do everything in my power to fight against it. My heart goes out to the women who have been impacted by this behaviour. It takes courage to come forward and make these claims. These women deserve our support and thanks."

——–

CAROLINE MULRONEY

Her political career may be in its early stages, but Mulroney has had exposure to high public office since childhood. The daughter of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney recently announced a desire to enter politics when she secured the PC nomination to run in the riding of York-Simcoe. She had hoped to secure her first seat in the legislature during the June election. Prior to announcing her political plans, Caroline Mulroney served as vice-president of Toronto-based BloombergSen Investment Partners, and used to work at a venture debt fund. She also co-founded the Shoebox Project for Shelters, which collects and distributes gifts to women who are homeless or at risk.

Mulroney did not announce intentions to seek the party leadership, but issued a brief statement following Brown's resignation.

"We are living in a powerful moment where woman and girls across Ontario, Canada and around the world are ending their silence – and their stories of sexual harassment are being heard. This is a sad day," she said.

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/who-could-replace-patrick-brown-a-look-at-potential-candidates-to-lead-ontario-pcs">http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/ca ... ntario-pcs">http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/who-could-replace-patrick-brown-a-look-at-potential-candidates-to-lead-ontario-pcs

So close to an election where all polls show the Liberal dynasty could end makes me suspicious.

Wazzzup

Sorry, if its a little off topic, but what is a Progressive Conservative? LOL  That sounds like being two opposite things at once.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"Sorry, if its a little off topic, but what is a Progressive Conservative? LOL  That sounds like being two opposite things at once.

Many people from outside Canada say the same thing.  

There used to be a federal PC party until the old Alliance/Reform party merged with the PC's to form the Conservative Party.

Provincially, they are still the pro free enterprise(in theory anyway) alternative in six provinces.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Wazzzup"Sorry, if its a little off topic, but what is a Progressive Conservative? LOL  That sounds like being two opposite things at once.

"Centre-right politics or center-right politics, also referred to as moderate-right politics, are politics that lean to the right of the left–right political spectrum, but are closer to the centre than other right-wing variants."

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Who could replace Patrick Brown? A look at potential candidates to lead Ontario PCs

The abrupt resignation of Ontario's Opposition leader amid allegations of sexual misconduct has many speculating on who could take Patrick Brown's place and guide the Progressive Conservatives through an upcoming provincial election. Here is a glance at some potential successors.

CHRISTINE ELLIOTT

The woman who mounted the most formidable challenge to Brown as he sought the party leadership in the first place is seen by many as a logical choice to take his place. Elliott came in second during the 2015 leadership convention that saw Brown become leader. At the time, Elliott had served as an Ontario legislator for nine years for the riding of Whitby-Oshawa, the same riding previously held by her late husband Jim Flaherty before he went on to become federal finance minister.

Since July 1, 2016, Elliott has served as Ontario's first patient ombudsman fielding complaints about people's experience with the provinces' health care system. Elliott has not issued any statements about the Brown scandal or her future plans since his resignation was announced.

——–

LISA MACLEOD

The long-time Ontario politician has emerged over the years as a high-profile Progressive Conservative. MacLeod was first elected to the Ontario legislature in 2006 in the riding of Nepean-Carleton, a position she has held ever since. She mounted a bid for the PC party leadership, but withdrew a few months before the convention and threw her support behind Elliott.

MacLeod was one of the first party members to issue a statement when allegations against Brown first surfaced. "Every citizen of Ontario deserves respect," she said in a statement. "Everyone has the right to be free from unwelcome behaviour or advances. I do not and will not tolerate abuse or harassment, and I will do everything in my power to fight against it. My heart goes out to the women who have been impacted by this behaviour. It takes courage to come forward and make these claims. These women deserve our support and thanks."

——–

CAROLINE MULRONEY

Her political career may be in its early stages, but Mulroney has had exposure to high public office since childhood. The daughter of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney recently announced a desire to enter politics when she secured the PC nomination to run in the riding of York-Simcoe. She had hoped to secure her first seat in the legislature during the June election. Prior to announcing her political plans, Caroline Mulroney served as vice-president of Toronto-based BloombergSen Investment Partners, and used to work at a venture debt fund. She also co-founded the Shoebox Project for Shelters, which collects and distributes gifts to women who are homeless or at risk.

Mulroney did not announce intentions to seek the party leadership, but issued a brief statement following Brown's resignation.

"We are living in a powerful moment where woman and girls across Ontario, Canada and around the world are ending their silence – and their stories of sexual harassment are being heard. This is a sad day," she said.

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/who-could-replace-patrick-brown-a-look-at-potential-candidates-to-lead-ontario-pcs">http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/ca ... ntario-pcs">http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/who-could-replace-patrick-brown-a-look-at-potential-candidates-to-lead-ontario-pcs

So close to an election where all polls show the Liberal dynasty could end makes me suspicious.

Brian Mulroney's daughter. The kids of former pm's never work their way up.

Wazzzup

I think I get it now.  These progressive conservatives  guys are kind of the center, and liberals are the lefties and NDP are the extreme lefties and the greens are even more extreme? and the conservatives are the only party of the rght?

Do I have this correct?

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Wazzzup"I think I get it now.  These progressive conservatives  guys are kind of the center, and liberals are the lefties and NDP are the extreme lefties and the greens are even more extreme? and the conservatives are the only party of the rght?

Do I have this correct?

They would be known as 'center-right.'  The rest is fairly accurate.

However, our 'Conservatives' have also been known to do some things that aren't exactly 'conservative,' but I guess that will always happen when you try to please everyone, and offend no one...

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Wazzzup"I think I get it now.  These progressive conservatives  guys are kind of the center, and liberals are the lefties and NDP are the extreme lefties and the greens are even more extreme? and the conservatives are the only party of the rght?

Do I have this correct?

However, our 'Conservatives' have also been known to do some things that aren't exactly 'conservative,' but I guess that will always happen when you try to please everyone, and offend no one...

Many republicans are like that too.  

Its amazing to me there are so many parties of the left in canada and only one of the right (and as you say they don't even represent the right many times) goes to show where canada is probabaly headed in the long run.  Sorry to say.  we'll probably get there faster though.

">

Angry White Male

Sadly not just Canada, but almost all White Western nations, it seems...  The race is on to see which one can destroy itself the fastest!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"
Quote from: "Angry White Male"

Do I have this correct?

Many republicans are like that too.  

Its amazing to me there are so many parties of the left in canada and only one of the right (and as you say they don't even represent the right many times) goes to show where canada is probabaly headed in the long run.  Sorry to say.  we'll probably get there faster though.

">
There is no real political choice in Canada, that is undeniable. Max Bernier would have brought some cajones to the Conservative party had he won the leadership and that scared the hell out of the party brass.

Anonymous

That would be interesting if Brian Mulroney's daughter became premier of Ontario while Pierre Trudeau's son is the prime minister.

Anonymous

Do I have this correct?

Historically, the Liberals were the party of economic liberalism. The current Liberal party of Justine has nothing in common with the Liberal government of Chretien in the 90's. That government slashed the civil service, lowered taxes, budget  surpluses, cut red tape, gave no money to victims of historic injustice, and put boots on the ground in Afghanistan. They were a lot more conservative than today's centrist Conservative Party headed by Andrew Scheer.

There is no right of center federal party in Canada.

cc

Vic Fedeli Chosen As Ontario PC Interim Leader After Patrick Brown Resignation

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PC-Party-Titanic.jpg">
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Vic Fedeli Chosen As Ontario PC Interim Leader After Patrick Brown Resignation

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PC-Party-Titanic.jpg">

From what I have read, it should have been a slam dunk for the Ontario PC's.

cc

It should have been. The twat in power has failed miserably and everyone knows it and so many detest her and her antics
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell