Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Whew....a tad on the warm side...

Started by Bricktop, January 28, 2018, 05:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The weather is consistent here. About 32 or 33 during the day and 22 or 23 at night.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"The weather is consistent here. About 32 or 33 during the day and 22 or 23 at night.

Where exactly are you IHJ?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"The weather is consistent here. About 32 or 33 during the day and 22 or 23 at night.

Coronado, Panama.

shin

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Coronado, Panama.

Have you ever been to Belize?

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Coronado, Panama.

Have you ever been to Belize?

Yes sir, I have. It was a toss up actually where we were going to retire; Belize or Panama.

Anonymous

About Belize,

Belize has the second-highest murder rate in the Caribbean, and one of the highest in the Americas; the murder rate is comparable to that of Detroit, Mich.

Gang violence is a big part of the problem, and is largely centered on Belize City. The south side of Belize City, in particular, should be avoided at all times.

Some violent crime has spread to the northern and western parts of the country, however, where murder and incidents like home invasions were previously rare. This includes some areas frequented by tourists. Criminals typically carry guns and do not walk in fear of confrontation; travelers are advised to comply with a robber's instructions rather than resisting. Nonetheless, a number of robberies in recent years have resulted in severe injuries or death.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/crime-and-safety-in-belize-1487754">https://www.tripsavvy.com/crime-and-saf ... ze-1487754">https://www.tripsavvy.com/crime-and-safety-in-belize-1487754

shin

Quote from: "Fashionista"About Belize,

Belize has the second-highest murder rate in the Caribbean, and one of the highest in the Americas; the murder rate is comparable to that of Detroit, Mich.

Gang violence is a big part of the problem, and is largely centered on Belize City. The south side of Belize City, in particular, should be avoided at all times.

Some violent crime has spread to the northern and western parts of the country, however, where murder and incidents like home invasions were previously rare. This includes some areas frequented by tourists. Criminals typically carry guns and do not walk in fear of confrontation; travelers are advised to comply with a robber's instructions rather than resisting. Nonetheless, a number of robberies in recent years have resulted in severe injuries or death.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/crime-and-safety-in-belize-1487754">https://www.tripsavvy.com/crime-and-saf ... ze-1487754">https://www.tripsavvy.com/crime-and-safety-in-belize-1487754

Wow, I had no idea!

Aside from knowing that south of the U.S. border the way of life is very different and that tourists are generally looked upon in a negative light... I did assume the cartels are just the tip of the iceberg.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"
Quote from: "Fashionista"About Belize,

Wow, I had no idea!

Aside from knowing that south of the U.S. border the way of life is very different and that tourists are generally looked upon in a negative light... I did assume the cartels are just the tip of the iceberg.

Are they? I don't know that.

Anonymous

We stuck  to the islands and cayes in Belize. The mainland is a little too dangerous. There are problem areas in Panama too, but it's not as widespread as in Belize.

cc

Quote from: "shin"Wow, I had no idea!

We lived in the Filippines for 4 years and were well instructed by Ex Pats and many locals that we were natural targets for criminals

I don't think it's necessarily " looked upon in a negative light" ... our treatment by honest locals was always excellent.

It's "whitey IS / Must Be  rich as well as naive of the local ways"  ... an easy and lucrative target in robber's eyes

As our work took us into or through some dangerous-for-whitey areas, we always had a driver / bodyguard to keep us on the best routes ... and it is far less likely to have problems when a local is with you

We knew some stubborn Ex Pats who insisted in driving themselves around who ran into great difficulties ... even being robbed while stuck in traffic right downtown big city.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"

We lived in the Filippines for 4 years and were well instructed by Ex Pats and many locals that we were natural targets for criminals

I don't think it's necessarily " looked upon in a negative light" ... our treatment by honest locals was always excellent.

It's "whitey IS / Must Be  rich as well as naive of the local ways"  ... an easy and lucrative target in robber's eyes

As our work took us into or through some dangerous-for-whitey areas, we always had a driver / bodyguard to keep us on the best routes ... and it is far less likely to have problems when a local is with you

We knew some stubborn Ex Pats who insisted in driving themselves around who ran into great difficulties ... even being robbed while stuck in traffic right downtown big city.

Even in rural parts of China, laowai are charged more and are the fave targets of beggars.

Bricktop

Some Singaporean friends took us across the border into Malaysia on one occasion, and we went for a meal in a restaurant in the city we were visiting. After the meal, we came out of the restaurant and I stood on the footpath, just looking around at the local life...our host rushed me into the car and said it was dangerous for me to expose my presence so blatantly. The local hoodlums don't see a white guy...they see a target.

Admittedly it was an industrial city hub, and had a reputation for high crime and corrupt police...not all of Malaysia is as hazardous.

Anonymous

There are places in Winnipeg like that.

Anonymous

Most places I've worked are like that.