News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

The madness goes on...give teachers guns.

Started by Bricktop, February 21, 2018, 07:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Everyone enters and leaves through one entrance and it has a metal detector?

What about a security guard at the entrance?

No metal detector, but yes only one entrance, all others were locked. The entrance had a buzzer, and a camera, and only once the front desk buzzed you in could you get in. Once in you had to report to the office upon entry, which was right there. No security guard, even better it had a local police officer.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Also to confirm, Trump did not say to give teachers guns. I heard it clarified on the radio this morning. Then I went back to the OP article. Here was Trump's tweets for clarity...

I never said "give teachers guns" like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving "concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able to

....immediately fire back if a savage sicko came to a school with bad intentions. Highly trained teachers would also serve as a deterrent to the cowards that do this. Far more assets at much less cost than guards. A "gun free" school is a magnet for bad people. ATTACKS WOULD END!

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Wazzzup"
Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Wazzzup"Guns are not bad, people are.

the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Tell that to the 17 good kids gunned down. Or the 54 concert goers.

Did anyone tell the 84 people killed by a truck  in Nice Islam is bad? What about the 23 people killed by a bomb at the concert in Manchester?

You just beat me to it.

Didn't European cities make changes similar to the ones you mentioned..

Blocking access to public promenades by vehicles with physical barriers for example?

It is a solution we poked some fun at.  Because their poor immigration polices led to having to implement these measures.  But yes, sometimes you have to resort to such methods.

I don't like the idea of metal detectors and armed security in schools.  But if you want to stop school shootings that's what it will take.  Gun bans will have little to no effect.

So why did it in Australia?

Since 1996...NO mass shootings.

Like I said before, Australia is 1/13th the size of the US.  It had 1 shooting in 1996 that killed more than 10 people.  Whereas since 1996 the US has had 13 shootings that killed more than 10 people.  So that is proportional.

The UK has very similar gun laws to Australia--they've had 2 mass shootings and 2 mass bombing murders since 1996 that killed more than 10 people.   They are 1/5th of Americas population so actually in the UK you are MORE likely per capita to die in a mass murder attack than in the US.

the French also have tough gun laws--since 1995 they have had four shootings in which 9 or more were killed and a truck attack.  france is 1/5th the size of the US.  Despite french gun laws you are more likely percapita to die in france in a mass shooting than the US.

I can do more, but that should illustrate the point.  You are cherry picking, like Scouse does with his Jewish conspiracy arguments.  You take two data points on a line-- the US and Australia and ignore all others, as well as ignoring population size.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"Also to confirm, Trump did not say to give teachers guns. I heard it clarified on the radio this morning. Then I went back to the OP article. Here was Trump's tweets for clarity...

I never said "give teachers guns" like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving "concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able to

....immediately fire back if a savage sicko came to a school with bad intentions. Highly trained teachers would also serve as a deterrent to the cowards that do this. Far more assets at much less cost than guards. A "gun free" school is a magnet for bad people. ATTACKS WOULD END!

I saw Donald Trump asking people in a room what they thought of the idea, but I never saw the president say give teachers guns.

Blazor

I saw Donald Trump asking people in a room what they thought of the idea, but I never saw the president say give teachers guns.

I dont know who or where, just heard about it on the radio, but some other group of people on the media, got some kids together to voice against guns. All the kids they picked were anti-Trumpers, they did not pick any pro-Trumpers. Cant stand the lies and manipulation in the media.

Bricktop

Like I said before, Australia is 1/13th the size of the US.  It had 1 shooting in 1996 that killed more than 10 people.  Whereas since 1996 the US has had 13 shootings that killed more than 10 people.  So that is proportional.

You twist things.

You cite SINCE 1996...but INCLUDE 1996.

SINCE 1996 Australia has had ZERO mass shootings.

SINCE 1996 America has had 13 with more than 10 victims...but a mass shooting is defined by FOUR victims. America has had 150.

Australia zero.

That is not proportional.

"Between 1966 and 2012, there were 90 mass shootings in the United States. Mass shootings are defined for the study as having four or more victims and don't include gang killings or slayings that involve the death of multiple family members. These shootings include the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando in June 2016 -- the worst mass shooting in US history -- and others in an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater and at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, both in 2012.

The 90 US mass shootings are nearly one-third of the 292 such attacks globally for that period. While the United States has 5% of the world's population, it had 31% of all public mass shootings."

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/27/health/u-s-most-mass-shootings/index.html">https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/27/heal ... index.html">https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/27/health/u-s-most-mass-shootings/index.html

You will never fix a problem until you admit you have a problem.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"

I dont know who or where, just heard about it on the radio, but some other group of people on the media, got some kids together to voice against guns. All the kids they picked were anti-Trumpers, they did not pick any pro-Trumpers. Cant stand the lies and manipulation in the media.

I'm not really surprised those with money would use the death of kids to further their own agenda..

I remember the hurricanes in Texas were called karma by environmental extremists because Texas produces oil and gas.

:crazy:

Wazzzup

You twist things.

You cite SINCE 1996...but INCLUDE 1996.

SINCE 1996 Australia has had ZERO mass shootings.

SINCE 1996 America has had 13 with more than 10 victims...but a mass shooting is defined by FOUR victims. America has had 150.

Australia zero.

That is not proportional.

"Between 1966 and 2012, there were 90 mass shootings in the United States. Mass shootings are defined for the study as having four or more victims and don't include gang killings or slayings that involve the death of multiple family members. These shootings include the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando in June 2016 -- the worst mass shooting in US history -- and others in an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater and at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, both in 2012.

The 90 US mass shootings are nearly one-third of the 292 such attacks globally for that period. While the United States has 5% of the world's population, it had 31% of all public mass shootings."

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/27/health/u-s-most-mass-shootings/index.html">https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/27/heal ... index.html">https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/27/health/u-s-most-mass-shootings/index.html

You will never fix a problem until you admit you have a problem.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/">https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... shootings/">https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/
QuoteA study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009 to 2015 by the Crime Prevention Research Center, headed by economist John Lott, shows the U.S. doesn't lead the world in mass shootings. In fact, it doesn't even make the top 10, when measured by death rate per million population from mass public shootings.

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.

That's not all. There were also 27% more casualties from 2009 to 2015 per mass shooting incident in the European Union than in the U.S.

"There were 16 cases where at least 15 people were killed," the study said. "Out of those cases, four were in the United States, two in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom."

"But the U.S. has a population four times greater than Germany's and five times the U.K.'s, so on a per-capita basis the U.S. ranks low in comparison — actually, those two countries would have had a frequency of attacks 1.96 (Germany) and 2.46 (UK) times higher."

When you cherry pick and just compare the US to australia, you get the result you want.  But when you add other countries in you see its not at all like you say.  The US has fewer mass shooting deaths per capita than the UK, Germany and France. all of which have much stricter gun laws.

Bricktop

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/">https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... shootings/">https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/sorry-despite-gun-control-advocates-claims-u-s-isnt-the-worst-country-for-mass-shootings/
QuoteA study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009 to 2015 by the Crime Prevention Research Center, headed by economist John Lott, shows the U.S. doesn't lead the world in mass shootings. In fact, it doesn't even make the top 10, when measured by death rate per million population from mass public shootings.

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.

That's not all. There were also 27% more casualties from 2009 to 2015 per mass shooting incident in the European Union than in the U.S.

"There were 16 cases where at least 15 people were killed," the study said. "Out of those cases, four were in the United States, two in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom."

"But the U.S. has a population four times greater than Germany's and five times the U.K.'s, so on a per-capita basis the U.S. ranks low in comparison — actually, those two countries would have had a frequency of attacks 1.96 (Germany) and 2.46 (UK) times higher."

Please...this data is so distorted as to be risible.

One minute you use the number of deaths, then revert to the number of incidents.

By its OWN data, America has far more mass (>4 casualties) shootings that any other comparable nation.

You flip between measuring number of deaths, then to number of incidents.

Make up your mind.

Anonymous

When you cherry pick and just compare the US to australia, you get the result you want.  But when you add other countries in you see its not at all like you say.  The US has fewer mass shooting deaths per capita than the UK, Germany and France. all of which have much stricter gun laws.

You are statistic person here Wazzzup..

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Some of these are a surprise to me.

Bricktop

That's because they are inappropriately used!!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"That's because they are inappropriately used!!!!

A lot of statistics are very disingenuous.

Bricktop

Hence the cliche...lies, damn lies and statistics.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"That's because they are inappropriately used!!!!

A lot of statistics are very disingenuous.

All prog stats are cherrypicked.

Bricktop