Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Iowa Grants Gun Permits to the Blind

Started by realgrimm, February 26, 2018, 04:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realgrimm

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/13d839e403285104d2aa5d93067b8fe808ae1275/c=192-0-1948-1323&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/GenericImages/2013/09/06/1378498215001-GAN-BLIND-GUN-PERMITS-090613-2.jpg">

QuoteWarren Wethington, who demonstrated for The Des Moines Register how blind people can be taught to shoot guns. And Jane Hudson, executive director of Disability Rights Iowa, who says blocking visually impaired people from the right to obtain weapon permits would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. That federal law generally prohibits different treatment based on disabilities

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/08/iowa-grants-gun-permits-to-the-blind/2780303/">//https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/08/iowa-grants-gun-permits-to-the-blind/2780303/

Anonymous

Quote from: "realgrimm"https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/13d839e403285104d2aa5d93067b8fe808ae1275/c=192-0-1948-1323&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/GenericImages/2013/09/06/1378498215001-GAN-BLIND-GUN-PERMITS-090613-2.jpg">

QuoteWarren Wethington, who demonstrated for The Des Moines Register how blind people can be taught to shoot guns. And Jane Hudson, executive director of Disability Rights Iowa, who says blocking visually impaired people from the right to obtain weapon permits would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. That federal law generally prohibits different treatment based on disabilities

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/08/iowa-grants-gun-permits-to-the-blind/2780303/">//https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/08/iowa-grants-gun-permits-to-the-blind/2780303/

I believe in accomodating people with disabilities when ever possible, but public safety comes first.

Bricktop

More gun madness in a psychopathic country.

Frood

With their heightened senses, it could be a good thing for them to know how to defend themselves if properly trained.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Adding yet another rock solid piece of evidence that you are a foaming idiot.

Frood

If you can't engage in an honest debate, you can't sit with us at the big person's table.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

If you have to pretend you're someone you're not, you're hardly in a position to dictate who sits where.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"More gun madness in a psychopathic country.

I guess they'll never have to buy a scope for their rifles.

Bricktop

Its farcical. All it does it put THEIR lives at risk by making them think that if they have a firearm, they are somehow safer.

It puts them in a life threatening situation by default.

Frood

QuoteSHERMAN, TX -- One Texoma man is proving it's possible to overcome any obstacle--If you just don't give up. He shows us how he's taken what some view as a handicap, and turned it into motivation to achieve his goals.

Competitive shooting. It's a sport that's popular across Texoma, with all sorts of people. John Flyum is one of them. But this durant resident's not your average shooter.

"I only see small portions of the target," Flyum said. "That's why it takes me longer to figure out what I need to shoot and what not to shoot."

Ten years ago, John was involved in a near-fatal motorcycle wreck, leaving him 95 percent blind.

While some people may see John's blindness as a handicap, through these doors he's just another one of the guys.

"After he showed safety and everything, and was safe on the range, he was good to go," said Jason Webb owner of Red River Firearms.

"There were some initial apprehensions, since he's blind. Within the first few minutes able to see he was a safe shooter, he had good handling skills, we went from there," said Howe Police Sergeant James Doyle.

John's pistol is equipped with special sights, and he memorizes the locations of the targets. He's shot in International Defensive Pistol Assocation, or IDPA matches, at ranges from Alaska to Ada, Paris, and Sherman, for more than a year.

His fellow shooters like Sergeant James Doyle, and Red River Firearms owner Jason Webb, say they know he's safe.

But for those who still question letting a blind man shoot a gun...

"I just take 'em out and show 'em I'm as safe as everyone else," Flyum said.

"He has a very good skill. Obviously his speed is slower because of his eyesight. Don't let it fool you for a minute, he's still a strong shooter," Doyle said.

John says shooting has become the light at the end of his tunnel.

And he got there by never considering his blindness as a handicap, and never giving up. The same advice he gives to everyone.

"I'm slower than the other shooters, but I hit my targets," Flyum said.

If you'd like more information about the IDPA, you can stop by Red River Firearms on Texoma Parkway in Sherman.

They're holding another match on Sunday afternoon, and of course, John Flyum will be there

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/85444362.html">http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/85444362.html

A 95% blind competition shooter who is safe and effective.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

On a RANGE you vacuous and vapid needle jockey.

THIS is how blind people shoot on a range.

">

Off range, they may as well use a nerf gun.

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"On a RANGE you vacuous and vapid needle jockey.

QuoteI only see small portions of the target," Flyum said. "That's why it takes me longer to figure out what I need to shoot and what not to shoot

Why are you so stupid? Seriously.
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

I have mixed feelings on this one.

I was taught in gun safety class, that you are always to be sure of what you are firing at, and whats behind it. I also believe some folks have various levels of blindness, and some have extremely good hearing. To say all blind people should not have a firearm is a bit of a stretch, some indeed should still have that right if they want. If so, they should also first be run through a safety course, and another specializing with visual impairment. Only if they pass the courses could they obtain. As a matter of fact, EVERYONE should take a gun safety class before they ever handle a gun. Unless of course a good father figure shows their son proper gun safety, then sends him to the course for a completion certificate.

I think Dinky posted a good example of why, Brick did not post a good example of why not lol but it was funny. 2 of those folks I could see possibly having one, the other two should not have been there. And the fact that Kimmel was interrupting and making fun while the safety officer was going over things was not cool.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Frood

Quote from: "Blazor"I have mixed feelings on this one.

I was taught in gun safety class, that you are always to be sure of what you are firing at, and whats behind it. I also believe some folks have various levels of blindness, and some have extremely good hearing. To say all blind people should not have a firearm is a bit of a stretch, some indeed should still have that right if they want. If so, they should also first be run through a safety course, and another specializing with visual impairment. Only if they pass the courses could they obtain. As a matter of fact, EVERYONE should take a gun safety class before they ever handle a gun. Unless of course a good father figure shows their son proper gun safety, then sends him to the course for a completion certificate.

I think Dinky posted a good example of why, Brick did not post a good example of why not lol but it was funny. 2 of those folks I could see possibly having one, the other two should not have been there. And the fact that Kimmel was interrupting and making fun while the safety officer was going over things was not cool.

I agree 100% with that.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: "Blazor"

Perhaps I need to remind the gun lobby that I have stated quite clearly that if people wish to use firearms in a sporting context, I have no problem with that.

I definitely WOULD have a problem with a blind person trying to use a hand gun or rifle outside of a highly controlled environment.