News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Bricktop! Remember the old .38 +P 'FBI' loads?

Started by Angry White Male, April 08, 2018, 02:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Angry White Male

You're fucking old enough to remember them, but did Australia use them also?

Bricktop

Nope. We carried standard .38 rounds.  Nothing special.

Angry White Male

I see.  Just curious, as I have one old round that my stepfather kept from the good old revolver days.

Federal .38 +P Semi wadcutter hollow point. (RCMP never issued Magnums as far as I know).

Thought I'd look up this particular round, and found out that they call it the "FBI Load," which is oddly enough still available today.

It was the most reliable manstopper at that time, in an era of .38 special revolvers.

I am surprised you were issued .357 Magnum revolvers.  Not even all jurisdictions in the US allowed or permitted them, and the RCMP didn't either.  .357 Magnum is a pretty powerful round, and some had issues with proficiencies with such powerful rounds.

All history though, as 9mm semi-auto's came along and changed issue side-arms forever.

Bricktop

We liked the magnums.

People being naughty tended to calm down quickly when they saw one...especially if it was out of the holster.

Angry White Male

In the US, officers would often qualify with nice easy .38 rounds, but then chamber .357 Magnum rounds for duty carry.

That actually became a problem though, in the US, as proficiency is expected at all times, with all rounds.  Just another reason why the 9mm pistol was adopted!

Remember also, that that was the period when teh womenz also starting joining the force in numbers...  .357 Magnum is a fairly hard kicking round for the average man.  Some 5' 2" woman?  LOLZ!

Bricktop

Precisely why it was dropped here. The girlies couldn't fire them, let alone carry them.

Angry White Male

Everyone is going back to 9mm, as the technology now makes them one of the the most effective rounds available!

The Germans just make good things!

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"We liked the magnums.

People being naughty tended to calm down quickly when they saw one...especially if it was out of the holster.

"An armed society is a polite society"  :thumbup:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Bricktop

Well, people were pretty polite when the S&W was pointing at them.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"Well, people were pretty polite when the S&W was pointing at them.

:laugh:

My son has been open carrying lately, he says people treat him better, more polite.

Bricktop

The trouble with that, of course, is that its the gun that defines the relationship, not the people.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"The trouble with that, of course, is that its the gun that defines the relationship, not the people.

Honestly, people are assholes these days, mostly cause they think they can get away with shit... "I'll never see him again anyway" type shit. I blame social media for shit like that, drive by insults and such. People need to check themselves before they wreck themselves.

Bricktop

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"Guns will hardly remedy that!!!

Nah, but if you think about it, back in the day, more folks carried, and they were more polite to a degree. Less carry these days I think, and there are more assholes. The gun to asshole ratio is off kilter  :laugh:

Bricktop

Man, I'm glad I don't live in a society where guns dictate social conduct.