Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

I'm outta here...

Started by Angry White Male, April 29, 2018, 03:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

Quote from: "cc"On one hand, seems Ace has defacto sex with cars.

On the other hand and to his credit, seems he's at least very picky with what car he has it with ... and I know he likes em black

You did pick out the right year...  A 1955 Chev.  I give you that...

However, it's a hardtop...  I need a 2 door sedan version to make the greaser version work to my standards!

Normally I would say 'just give me a Bel Air Hardtop or Convert,' as these would be the top choice.  Not with the greaser car!

And yes, black never goes out of style, especially with greaser flames!

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Bricktop"I appreciate the reminiscence, but having had one of those cars in our company fleet as a promo, I can tell you they are an awful thing to drive, heavy on fuel, a bastard to park, and rather uncomfortable.

Why did you have a hard time driving it?  I had a buddy a few years back that had a '55, and it seemed comfortable enough.

Parking could be hard if it wasn't equipped with power steering, but even in the 50's power steering was relatively common, unless you had the low budget version.

The 55-57 Chevrolet's weren't very large cars compared to what was around then, and especially what came later, so fuel efficiency would have been at least average to better than average for that era.

Bricktop

They would "float", the suspension was so soft, and corner like a shopping troll with a wheel missing.

The power steering was far too insensitive to road feel, that it made the handling worse. The brakes were never adequate enough to haul up nearly two tons of steel in a hurry, and god knows you would not want to be in a collision in one of those things. The dash was just aching to smash a face open.

Because of its weight, the V8 gasped and heaved under heavy acceleration and ran out of puff early in the rev range. Naturally this meant that it drank fuel like Herman at a barrel wash convention.

I accept they are iconic cars, but like many icons, the myth was usually more than the reality. When it came to driveability, they were woeful.

Angry White Male

I agree, that was typical of American cars of that era to substitute handling for comfort in an extreme way.  All American cars were like that, except maybe the Corvette.

That's just how cars were then!  And all drum brakes worked when power was low, but discs are better.  On a side note, heavy commercial vehicles still mainly use drum brakes, so they do have their place still!  

I agree, they are iconic cars.  Today, only a collector would have the means to own and operate one.  The average poors would be best to stick with a Honda Civic, which would outperform a '55 in every measurable way.  

Except for style, that is...

Berry Sweet

I'm not into cars or vehicles, including tractors and ride on mowers...

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I'm not into cars or vehicles, including tractors and ride on mowers...

Did someone force you to sit on a tractor or ride-on when you were 10, and give him a big kiss?

If not, you do not put down tractors or ride-on mowers!

Signed,

Uncle Chester.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I'm not into cars or vehicles, including tractors and ride on mowers...

Shouldn't you be asleep in your pristine sheets?

ac_boring

Angry White Male

She's probably high on Zopiclone right now.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Cars are just transportation for you?

I'm like that too, but I still like safe, reliable transportation.