Replies: 10389
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:36:52 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Should I pack this in bear country?

Started by Angry White Male, May 04, 2018, 02:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

You can buy universal sling mounts for shotguns.  They aren't terribly expensive.

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"You can buy universal sling mounts for shotguns.  They aren't terribly expensive.

Like even if the gun has no holes to accept it?
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

kiebers

Sure you can make the holes...LOL May want a smith to do it if you are worried about it.

Mel get one of those long tube 3 gun competition shotguns. I think you can get 8 or more rounds in the tube.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-3-gun-shotguns/">https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-3-gun-shotguns/
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Angry White Male

You'd only have to drill one hole in the buttstock.  For instance the Browning BPS sling kit replaces the shell tube end cap with a sling mount, leaving just one hole to drill in stock...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Uncle-Mikes-Browning-reg-BPS-Swivel-Sling-Adapter/739932.uts">https://www.cabelas.com/product/Uncle-M ... 739932.uts">https://www.cabelas.com/product/Uncle-Mikes-Browning-reg-BPS-Swivel-Sling-Adapter/739932.uts

Blazor

I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "kiebers"Mel get one of those long tube 3 gun competition shotguns. I think you can get 8 or more rounds in the tube.

I did own a defender type shottie in the past, and I think I could stuff eight shells into it!  Problem with defender style shotties, is they're only good for one thing...  Defending!  However, once I installed a pistol grip, it did make for a relatively compact, easy to carry bush gun.  Not even sure why I sold it...

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"You'd only have to drill one hole in the buttstock.  For instance the Browning BPS sling kit replaces the shell tube end cap with a sling mount, leaving just one hole to drill in stock...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Uncle-Mikes-Browning-reg-BPS-Swivel-Sling-Adapter/739932.uts">https://www.cabelas.com/product/Uncle-M ... 739932.uts">https://www.cabelas.com/product/Uncle-Mikes-Browning-reg-BPS-Swivel-Sling-Adapter/739932.uts

So you are going to drill holes in your Kmart pump gun...No great damage there.... :laugh3:

I've told you before but like usual you were drunk and billegerant and didn't want to hear it. If you are serious about hiking in big bear country...get yourself something like a Marlin Guide gun. Get the ported barrel as it will probably be too much gun for a little shrimp like you.

[attachment=0]485fd2b2a3e353692fe00ef8f300fd21.jpg[/attachment]

If you jump a pissed off male grizzly or accidentally get between a sow and her cubs, you might as well take that cheesy Jap Browning, shove it up your ass, and pull the trigger until it goes click. You'll want something with reliable knock down power and decent penetration.... Something the exact opposite of your dick.... :nea:  

While the 12 has sufficient shocking power, slugs are typically softer than you really want in an emergency situation. You dont want to be unpleasantly surprised at the lack of penetration when a determined grizzly is on top of you.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Angry White Male

A 12 gauge Magnum slug won't hit hard at all...  Renne, Renne, Renee...  what should we do with you.

realgrimm

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"A 12 gauge Magnum slug won't hit hard at all...  Renne, Renne, Renee...  what should we do with you.

I didn't say that...go back and read...

12 gauge slugs simply do not have the penetration you need to reliably stop a charging bear.  Because let's face it, you aren't going to shoot the bear unless it's  trying to kill you. In a close near encounter (40 yards or under) you need to be able to take out the bear's central nervous system quickly, either through the skull or by breaking it's spine...for that you need a heavy bullet with good penetration..A heart or a lung a shot through soft tissue is not going to be reliable. You're going to end up a stain on the leaves.

Given the choice it would be prudent to carry something .44 caliber or bigger, preferably in a rifle.

Ask yourself this Mel, how many animals have you killed?And I don't  mean with your dump truck or that poor pathetic caged cat. Do you know how they react when the adrenaline is pumping? Probably not. I've seen deer hit through the lungs with a 130gr .270 win and still run or more than 70 yards before dropping. They're dead on their hooves but they don't know it....I've seen them shot through the spine and drop like a stone as well....A deer isn't an angry bear...don't take chances if you can help it.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Angry White Male

The issue is, not sure I can justify the purchase of an elephant gun for the odd time I get my wilderness on, when the 12 Gauge is just so versatile!

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"The issue is, not sure I can justify the purchase of an elephant gun for the odd time I get my wilderness on, when the 12 Gauge is just so versatile!

Well then take your chances....do what you want..let your bones bleach in the woods where some forest ranger can find them.... :laugh: But take a hacksaw to the barrel of that bird gun so you can wheel it around in the bushes better... :laugh3:

Just be advised that there are multiple parts to terminal bullet performance. Its a balancing act between expansion and penetration and it hinges on bullet size, construction, velocity and energy at the point of termination. A 12 gauge slug has the size and weight but it lacks velocity and proper construction. When faced with dangerous game...always go for what is going to give you reliable but controlled expansion while giving you enough energy for proper penetration.

Look at it this way, if a 12 gauge was the recommended weapon for dangerous game, then people would be shooting cape buffalo or rhinoceros with it....but they aren't, are they? I don't think anyone "alive" is that stupid.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Angry White Male"The issue is, not sure I can justify the purchase of an elephant gun for the odd time I get my wilderness on, when the 12 Gauge is just so versatile!

Well then take your chances....do what you want..let your bones bleach in the woods where some forest ranger can find them.... :laugh: But take a hacksaw to the barrel of that bird gun so you can wheel it around in the bushes better... :laugh3:

Just be advised that there are multiple parts to terminal bullet performance. Its a balancing act between expansion and penetration and it hinges on bullet size, construction, velocity and energy at the point of termination. A 12 gauge slug has the size and weight but it lacks velocity and proper construction. When faced with dangerous game...always go for what is going to give you reliable but controlled expansion while giving you enough energy for proper penetration.

Look at it this way, if a 12 gauge was the recommended weapon for dangerous game, then people would be shooting cape buffalo or rhinoceros with it....but they aren't, are they? I don't think anyone "alive" is that stupid.

:JC_howdy:

Angry White Male

Renee never stays for very long.  She's busy trying to figure out how to bring a Howitzer along with her on the next family camping trip.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Renee never stays for very long.  She's busy trying to figure out how to bring a Howitzer along with her on the next family camping trip.

She wants the whole herd.