News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

I share an email address with someone else.

Started by Angry White Male, May 19, 2018, 02:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

Didn't think this was possible, but it is.  Telus made a boo-boo when they issued it to me, or when they issued it to the other guy.

What is strange is, is that it doesn't matter if I change the password...  They are treated as two 'separate' accounts, if you will, even though I can open every single one of his emails, have full access to his Amazon account, and can even reset his online accounts if I wanted to.

He cannot lock me out, nor can I lock him out.

Needless to say, once I discovered this issue, I shifted everything over to a new email address as I cannot have this problem.

I still maintain the old email address, just in case I missed an entity that I need to change over to new address.

I still get confidential business emails of his to this day...

Angry White Male

So this does make me wonder about potential security.  For one email address to be permitted to have two different passwords, this must mean that Telus pins the email address to the account, meaning that his account number and my account number can share the email address, even though they operate as two 'separate' entities, with either of us being able to modify passwords, but still have complete access to the same email address.

I could see a potential here for security concerns, and it shows just how easily Telus could allow anyone else, if they prefer, access to your account without having to even guess your password, since they can set their own password and still have full access!