News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Happy mid May! My great aunt would have turned 100 today!

Started by Superchecker, May 14, 2018, 06:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superchecker

Hi Gang, long time- no posting here.

My great aunt passed away back in February, and she would have turned 100 today!

It's been a crazy few months, dealing with gout pain on and off in my left foot, and then getting an ingrown toenail in my right foot. Had a procedure to fix the toenail. Now on meds for the gout.

Had a blast in Vegas, 4 nights flew by... Won $1,000 on day #2!! Wasn't overly impressed with the Michael Jackson cirque du Soleil show, extremely loud and not like other Cirque shows.

Finally getting around to drawing up our first will. $700.

Back to work this morning, after two weeks vacation. Have another two weeks off in September, around my birthday.

$1.619 here for gas yesterday morning. Ventured down to Bellingham last week and paid the equivalent of $1.09 down there.
<t></t>

kiebers

Hey Sup. Sounds like a good time in Vegas. In Texas we are still in the $0.68 range for fuel.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "Superchecker"Hi Gang, long time- no posting here.

My great aunt passed away back in February, and she would have turned 100 today!

It's been a crazy few months, dealing with gout pain on and off in my left foot, and then getting an ingrown toenail in my right foot. Had a procedure to fix the toenail. Now on meds for the gout.

Had a blast in Vegas, 4 nights flew by... Won $1,000 on day #2!! Wasn't overly impressed with the Michael Jackson cirque du Soleil show, extremely loud and not like other Cirque shows.

Back to work this morning, after two weeks vacation. Have another two weeks off in September, around my birthday.

$1.619 here for gas yesterday morning. Ventured down to Bellingham last week and paid the equivalent of $1.09 down there.

Hello Superchecker, great to see you again.

acc_hugz

I'm glad you had a safe and fun holiday..

Mother's day yesterday was delightful with my family..

Gasoline is so  expensive here now too, about $129.9 per litre last time I filled up.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Superchecker"Had a blast in Vegas, 4 nights flew by... Won $1,000 on day #2!!

Gamblers never post their losses...  Only the wins.  How much did you lose, Super?

And $700 is too much for a basic will.  Should be more like half that.  Then again, if it's done, it's done!

I know about wills, since I've had three done so far...  Since I have no kids, no wife or common law, no brothers or sisters, and no parents, BC law thus dictates that the Government shall have full claim to my estate, which is why I had the attorney make one up like three days after my Mother died, as she would've been the last one that would've been entitled to my estate...

Bricktop

Donate it to a worthy cause...anything except the fucking Government.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Bricktop"Donate it to a worthy cause...anything except the fucking Government.

Exactly.  This is exactly what would happen currently if I died and did not have a will in BC:

"If no one qualifies under the rules as your next of kin, your estate is said to "escheat" to the crown. This means it goes to the provincial government."

Bricktop

Same everywhere. This is to ensure that if a person dies intestate, their property doesn't become open slather for the cockroaches. The property must always have an owner...even if its the Public Trustee. Which means everything you worked for...house, car, personal effects are auctioned off by the government and the proceeds into general revenue.

If you have no descendants or kin, leave your property to the RSPCA, zoo, charity or any worthy cause you support. God knows they will appreciate it more than the government.

Superchecker

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Gamblers never post their losses...  Only the wins.  How much did you lose, Super?

And $700 is too much for a basic will.  Should be more like half that.  Then again, if it's done, it's done!

I know about wills, since I've had three done so far...  Since I have no kids, no wife or common law, no brothers or sisters, and no parents, BC law thus dictates that the Government shall have full claim to my estate, which is why I had the attorney make one up like three days after my Mother died, as she would've been the last one that would've been entitled to my estate...

We ventured down to Vegas, with a daily budget. We stayed within that budget. Never charged anything. Never needed to bank machine. Won $1,000 more than I played on the Tuesday. Used that $$$ to buy $300 worth of shoes and clothes. Came home with $700 US, which is rare for us. Have already used some for a Bellingham day trip, groceries, gas, etc... Still got $150 US for two more tips to Point Roberts.

As for the wills, How much should we be paying for two wills? Mine, and my wifes?

Can I name you as my alternate executor?
<t></t>

Anonymous

Quote from: "Superchecker"

We ventured down to Vegas, with a daily budget. We stayed within that budget. Never charged anything. Never needed to bank machine. Won $1,000 more than I played on the Tuesday. Used that $$$ to buy $300 worth of shoes and clothes. Came home with $700 US, which is rare for us. Have already used some for a Bellingham day trip, groceries, gas, etc... Still got $150 US for two more tips to Point Roberts.

As for the wills, How much should we be paying for two wills? Mine, and my wifes?

Wait until Alberta shuts off the taps. Get used to $2.50/litre fuel. Just kiddin, Nothead won't do that.

Anonymous

That's wonderful Superchecker.

ac_smile

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Superchecker"As for the wills, How much should we be paying for two wills? Mine, and my wifes?

You had two separate wills done at the same time?  Maybe $700 isn't too out of hand then, but still on the high side.  I think I paid around $200 and change to my attorney for my will, but it's basic and simple.  They have a template already made up, and just have to add a few names, more or less.

And you can name anyone you want as an alternate executor.  I actually have two alternate executors named, just in case the primary and secondary are either dead or not capable or willing to execute the will.

I can handle executing your will, but be advised I will take the full 5% I can out of your estate, plus all expenses.  However, that's still cheap compared to having an attorney execute your will.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Superchecker"As for the wills, How much should we be paying for two wills? Mine, and my wifes?

You had two separate wills done at the same time?  Maybe $700 isn't too out of hand then, but still on the high side.  I think I paid around $200 and change to my attorney for my will, but it's basic and simple.  They have a template already made up, and just have to add a few names, more or less.

And you can name anyone you want as an alternate executor.  I actually have two alternate executors named, just in case the primary and secondary are either dead or not capable or willing to execute the will.

I can handle executing your will, but be advised I will take the full 5% I can out of your estate, plus all expenses.  However, that's still cheap compared to having an attorney execute your will.

We recently made some changes to my mother's will..

But, I can't recall what the fee was.

Anonymous

I should get around to a will.  My situation is a bit different because I have a girlfriend, but we maintain separate residences. If we lived together, under Ontario law she would be entitled to up to $200 grand if no will exists.

Angry White Male

If you don't live together, then you wouldn't be common law.  Your estate would then default to something like this (at least here in BC it does):  To your kids, then parents, then grandparents, then siblings.

I have none of these, so it would default to government.  I have an Uncle and cousins, but it doesn't default that far.

A will is important if you have any assets, especially if you're not in a common law or marriage-type arrangement.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"If you don't live together, then you wouldn't be common law.  Your estate would then default to something like this (at least here in BC it does):  .

I think that's what Seoul is saying, but with the adder for the first two hundred thousand dollars.